GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I simply cannot find an actual part # for the daytime running lights. Left side if it matters.

For an aftermarket manufacturer.

Did chk forum..no could find. Did see where one should chk the fuse too (which I shall)

Other than that....15 mos. with car .. no issues other than light being out

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Definitely check fuses and wiring harness first. I have not heard of these burning out on other cars. I don't think this is a bulb replacement. I think you replace the whole lamp assembly including lens, reflector, LED emitters, etc. You won't find that from an aftermarket source. Chevrolet only.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
What year is your Volt?

·
Banned
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Definitely check fuses and wiring harness first. I have not heard of these burning out on other cars. I don't think this is a bulb replacement. I think you replace the whole lamp assembly including lens, reflector, LED emitters, etc. You won't find that from an aftermarket source. Chevrolet only.
https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2013_Chevrolet_Volt_1.4L_4_Cyl./lights/daylight_running

Here shows a vid for replacing the bulb? (you have to go tho a couple of 1 min. vids-not ads-they just broke one video into 3 it looks like ... then it shows)

does not show the bulb well though

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

·
Banned
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ... it did look odd....they talk about the drl .... maybe its the next slot to the outside of the car is how you gain access in a similar manner.....

fun stuff

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
This may not be very elegant, but honestly, one way to deal with this is to leave it broken, or disable the right side so it matches. I don't think there is a legal requirement to have DRL in the US (many cars lack it). I would consider that option if it comes down to major DIY surgery or an extremely expensive repair bill.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fuse was OK...even swapped it out for another fuse to be sure.

Barry's solution appears to be the most practical.

? still is : are those walmart led lights actually useful for the volt?

·
Banned
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think that this issue would be covered by the 3yr/36K warranty (car is still w/i both) .... so I have the dealer deal with this minor issue.

Thanks for all the help.

If the dealer does not do work under the warranty, I'll post again; if not, consider the issue solved under the warranty.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yes, if you are still within the 3/36 period, then it will definitely be covered, unless it was broken due to accident damage, etc.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, its repaired. It took 4 visits to the dealer.

Initial visit: examine vehicle ---- decided bulb was issue -- they ordered part (covered under warranty due to headlight assembly needed changing -- otherwise they said that bulbs are only covered for 12 mo)

2nd visit - expecting to install new headlight assembly. Nope. Now they say computer module was bad. Come back later when part comes in they say.

3rd visit - dealer replaced module but could not format/program it ... could not figure out why. Gave me free loaner and said that they would call when ready.

4th visit - 4 days after visit #3. They said that the reason why they could not program the module was due to an error code and that all computer error codes must be fixed prior to programming. The error code was due to lighted sun visor. They said that the DLRs get power from the module and the visor. They replaced visor and a fuse. Then programmed module and then DLR light that was out worked.

All in all about 2 weeks time period needed to fix a simple light issue. No cost to me. The serv. manager said he never saw anyone so patient. I just said that when you buy a Chevy you're gonna get a Chevy...deal with it. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts