GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am skipping most details to keep this thread short and easy to find useful information in. Please refrain from adding things like, "Why would you want to risk your life..." or "You shouldn't drive it until a qualified blah blah blah" .

This is because there are countless reasons to be able to select to drive the Volt after the airbags have deployed and it becomes tiresome to sift through these comments while doing research.

Lets discuss methods to drive the Chevy Volt (and possibly other makes/models) once the airbags have been deployed.

For example: Both my Volt's drivers side airbag and knee airbag have been deployed. Additionally, the driver and passenger seat belts and pretensioners have locked.

I have a warning light on my dash that says "Service airbag"

That's exactly what I plan to do, but it would be nice to be able to move the car around the driveway and in/out of our car lift for a few weeks while I service the car. And in the future have the ability to drive the car instead of freezing to death somewhere, or being stuck in the middle of the road.

I have plugged our OBII scanner in and it shows no codes. Am plugging in to the port near the hood release. I have tried it with the car off, and with the car on, and in the in between phase when you hit the power button without a foot on the brake.
Any ideas?
A friend suggested wiring 3.3 ohm resistors to the airbag plugs.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Fortunately, GM was smart enough to make this not possible, I guess they realized some people will try and do what your suggesting. Airbags deployed, only the dealer can bring the ability to move under its own power back and no there is no work-a-round on this.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
What Henry is saying is essentially true.
The fact that it wont engage the propulsion system is due to some hidden (aka "secured") latched codes that triggered the instant a deployment command confirmation hit the GMLAN network even before the bags were fully inflated!

To unlatch them (not really a code clearing) requires not only MDI and GDS2 system but a very particular, well defined sequence of events contacting multiple modules. Even if you replaced the deployed airbags and SDM (and somehow successfully reprogrammed and married it into the network) and managed to get the airbag light OUT, the car would still be immobilized.

Don't like it? report them to NASTF. ;) Maybe then in a couple years they will permit an aftermarket scan tool to do the same.
But in the meantime you would have no recourse to either utilize a Volt dealer OR buy an MDI from Bosch (~$1500) then sign up for a GDS2/TIS2WEB subscription via AC Delco Techconnect. (about $3100 annually)

Besides, if you have to ask then "you shouldn't drive it until a qualified blah blah blah" most certainly holds true IMO
Best of luck
WopOnTour

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I am skipping most details to keep this thread short and easy to find useful information in. Please refrain from adding things like, "Why would you want to risk your life..." or "You shouldn't drive it until a qualified blah blah blah" .

This is because there are countless reasons to be able to select to drive the Volt after the airbags have deployed and it becomes tiresome to sift through these comments while doing research.

Lets discuss methods to drive the Chevy Volt (and possibly other makes/models) once the airbags have been deployed.

For example: Both my Volt's drivers side airbag and knee airbag have been deployed. Additionally, the driver and passenger seat belts and pretensioners have locked.

I have a warning light on my dash that says "Service airbag"

That's exactly what I plan to do, but it would be nice to be able to move the car around the driveway and in/out of our car lift for a few weeks while I service the car. And in the future have the ability to drive the car instead of freezing to death somewhere, or being stuck in the middle of the road.

I have plugged our OBII scanner in and it shows no codes. Am plugging in to the port near the hood release. I have tried it with the car off, and with the car on, and in the in between phase when you hit the power button without a foot on the brake.
Any ideas?
A friend suggested wiring 3.3 ohm resistors to the airbag plugs.
Tractor forums specifically state NOT to discuss bypassing safety features on tractors due to liability issues...car forums would be wise to follow suit...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have a strong hunch that the complete disablement of the car after airbag deployment is mandated by federal regulations for safety reasons.

·
Registered
985 Posts
....A friend suggested wiring 3.3 ohm resistors to the airbag plugs....
Oooyyyyeee mate .....the good news is the airbag is already popped, so it can not be further bungle it up.
What I mean..... you can not hurt yourself, by further messing with the airbag system.

NO one here is going to suggest ways to bypass airbag or demobilize systems.
Even if someone would know how, it would be a huge risk to even suggest it. We are living in a "lawsuit happy" world.
Lots of folks looking to get rich quickly :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
As WopOnTour mentioned, the hybrid system will be disabled after an airbag deployment. Because the extent of the damage is unknown to the vehicle, driving around with potentially loss isolation on the high voltage system, or shorted wires, or even exposed high voltage... Would be unsafe, and thus the system gets disabled the moment airbags deploy. You definitely have to replace all the airbag hardware and clear the latched codes in the controllers.

·
Banned
7 Posts
yeah, it's a good idea to shut systems down so there is not self destruction --
however, ONstar, calling police to give GPS coordinates ? a little (alot) orwellian here ? -- -- 40 free miles on electricity (or at least gas free) -- but a gps onstar system ? - this plays right into the government "tax by the mile" legislation, actually in trials in oregon -- no thanks, while, on the surface, it sounds great -- hey -- u use it , pay for it .. it is __another__method __ of control !!!!

·
Administrator
20,855 Posts
but a gps onstar system ? - this plays right into the government "tax by the mile" legislation, actually in trials in oregon -- no thanks, while, on the surface, it sounds great -- hey -- u use it , pay for it .. it is __another__method __ of control !!!!
If a state decides to tax you by the mile, they don't need OnStar to do it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If a state decides to tax you by the mile, they don't need OnStar to do it.
Quite right! In Oregon they are trying out the pay by the mile scheme. Here is how it works: 1.5 cents per mile is the tax, then they know how much gas you bought and subtract out the amount of tax you paid for the gas. This sounds reasonable. However in practice people who drive high mpg cars or BEVs pay more than ICE cars and people with low mpg cars pay less. Luckily we are just in the trail period (I think 500 cars) so hopefully they can straighten this mess out so we don't encourage people to drive gas guzzling cars!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
If the airbags deployed... I assume there was other damage to the car?

I believe the post accident protocol requires draining the coolant from the battery as well. (Remember the Volt that caught fire weeks after a crash test at the NHTSA facility because coolant leaked into the electronics?)

If the car was in an accident it should be towed to a qualified repair shop or GM dealer. (Where they follow the correct procedures and have access to the proper equipment as mentioned by WOT.)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
yeah, it's a good idea to shut systems down so there is not self destruction --
however, ONstar, calling police to give GPS coordinates ? a little (alot) orwellian here ? -- -- 40 free miles on electricity (or at least gas free) -- but a gps onstar system ? - this plays right into the government "tax by the mile" legislation, actually in trials in oregon -- no thanks, while, on the surface, it sounds great -- hey -- u use it , pay for it .. it is __another__method __ of control !!!!
FYI After a detected airbag deployment event, OnStar first contacts the occupants of the car to see if they are able to request 1st responder assistance. Until it's requested OR if there is no response, 1st responders won't be dispatched. This feature has saved many thousands of lives. Not everything has insidious, Big Brother implications.
WOT

·
Banned
7 Posts
FYI: I called the local dealer and spoke with a service technician and that was the response he gave me, i'm not making it up or trying to say police or onstar or gm are this or that as a story .. But he didnt say anything about calling anybody or any owner, he just said , onstar calls the local police and gives them the coordinates in the event of an air bag deployment, -- this was to see if you are ok." (not injured)

i doubt that it has save 'thousands' of lives .. maybe hundreds ? would like to see the source for data on that stat.

it does have big brother implications.. i dont want any gps going out to any government, unless i need assistance.. havent u read about nsa and data collection ... u know for a super moderator, i have to wonder where your privacy concerns are ...

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
FYI: I called the local dealer and spoke with a service technician and that was the response he gave me, i'm not making it up or trying to say police or onstar or gm are this or that as a story .. But he didnt say anything about calling anybody or any owner, he just said , onstar calls the local police and gives them the coordinates in the event of an air bag deployment, -- this was to see if you are ok." (not injured)

i doubt that it has save 'thousands' of lives .. maybe hundreds ? would like to see the source for data on that stat.

it does have big brother implications.. i dont want any gps going out to any government, unless i need assistance.. havent u read about nsa and data collection ... u know for a super moderator, i have to wonder where your privacy concerns are ...
Ah...its thousands...remember there are millions of cars on the road with airbags today...some are even on the airbag recall list...:rolleyes:

I have to wonder if your aluminum foil hat is on too tight...you have posted on the Internet...the GOVERNMENT IS NOW TRACKING YOU...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,728 Posts

Trust me it's thousands. Actually tens of thousands.
You can simply google "OnStar saves lives" to view and read many thousands of examples for yourself.
You question MY motives, now let me question yours.
Why are you here? Are you a Volt owner? or? ...
WOT

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Who really cares if the NSA is collecting some basic data on me? As long as I'm not doing anything illegal, then they aren't even paying attention to me.

·
Administrator
20,855 Posts
Trust me it's thousands. Actually tens of thousands.
You can simply google "OnStar saves lives" to view and read many thousands of examples for yourself.
WOT
"Ah, but as we all know GM stands for government motors and that means you are a government official and all government officials lie.

I don't want the government calling the government when I'm in an accident and unconscious. They take you away, remove all evidence of an accident and no one ever hears from you again."

Or some nonsense like that. :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
If onstar can remotely turn-off your vehicle, (per request of gov officials), example stolen car. I 'll say there is some controversy in it.
The solution is simple - do not steal a car.
But how long before someone can hack the system that shuts down your vehicle - remotely. Most likely in the not so distant future.
No... I am not paranoid :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts