GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So this happened this past weekend. The only good thing is that it went flat in my garage. I have a "spare" extremely low mileage General Tire Altimax that I'm going to swap for this damaged Michelin to get back on the road. So is it safe to drive a mixed tire set on the rear axle for awhile whilst I figure out my options for a permanent replacement?

The full set of Michelin Premier A/S tires were purchased less than 2 years ago and have about 20,000 miles on them. I could just purchase one new replacement Michelin tire and carry on for another year or two?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I see this all the time on older, "beater" types of vehicles and they seem to be fine. My personal feeling is this is a safety issue and I would recommend replacing two of the tires or buy a new one and have it shaved down to the depth of the existing tires. However I understand this is a temporary situation and you've got to do what you've got to do to keep rolling.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
692 Posts
That nail just knew exactly where it (shouldn't) go. I would buy two new tires for the axel of the same make/model as the other axel. Depending on the tread depth wear, you may need to put the older tires on the front. Otherwise the rear can potentially let loose without you realizing it's coming in wet conditions. I wouldn't mix match different tire types other than a temporary emergency fix. That can result in stability control and traction issues.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If it’s on the rear no problem at all. There’s no connection of any rear wheel to anything else. If you had two passengers one would be in the back seat offsetting the load to one side and you wouldn’t consider that at all. Same analogy.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
another problem can be a mix of tire pressures on one axel if they are a lot different.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm now leaning toward getting new tires all around. Costco has a sale on Michelin tires at the moment. Pricey, but I do like the way they ride and handle. Any other suggestions for new tire brands or models? Had a problem with the OEM Gen 1 tires so not going there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can often match a single a single tire for specs and tread wear on eBay for fairly cheap.
I recently bought a set of Pirellis P-Zero A/S for $320, with a $70 rebate coming back.Great tires.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I'm on my second set of four Continental Pure Contact LS tires. I like them very much. My first set of Conti's lasted 73,553 miles. The OEM's lasted only 53,021 miles. Costco doesn't carry the Continental brand. I bought them from TireRack for ~$600. Although Costco refuses to mount any tire not bought from them, they will balance and rotate them for ~$30. So, I paid ~$270 for b&r over their lifetime. If it weren't for the fact that I greatly like the Conti's, buying a brand sold by Costco would be less expensive, first, for the price of the four tires and, secondly, for the free balance and rotation thereafter.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm now leaning toward getting new tires all around. Costco has a sale on Michelin tires at the moment. Pricey, but I do like the way they ride and handle. Any other suggestions for new tire brands or models? Had a problem with the OEM Gen 1 tires so not going there.
Heh. Gen 1 OEM FuelMax tires exist precisely for their on-book rolling resistance, and have zero other redeeming qualities. I've got Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ that are slightly buzzy but otherwise very nice even in wet and moderate winter. Continental PureContacts have a lot of fans here, and there's at least one person running Yokohama Avid Ascends. Michelin Premier A/S used to be popular but I've not seen anyone recommending them for Gen 1 lately, but if that's what's on sale, it's probably a decent choice.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Continental True Contacts are the low rolling resistance offering from the German company. They're made specifically for hybrid/electrics. I've read good reviews from fellow Volters and will purchase these next.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Continental True Contacts are the low rolling resistance offering from the German company. They're made specifically for hybrid/electrics. I've read good reviews from fellow Volters and will purchase these next.
Well, as it turns out, I'm going to purchase the Continental True Contact Touring tires from Tire Rack. I used to be a Michelin guy, but they have gotten too expensive.

The other problem is that I've purchased from BJ's and Costco and between shipping the tires to the location and getting an appointment to get them mounted 2-3 weeks out. That wouldn't be a problem if your tires are getting worn and you are okay with the wait.

Tire Rack seems to ship most of their product quickly. I just have to decide who's going to mount them locally for me. Thanks again for the input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts