GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Volt in Oct last year and love everything about it. Since Ive been driving it for 7 months now, I have a couple questions that I know this forum can answer.

- Is it safe to drive in 'L' at high speeds on the freeway, @70-75mph?
and
- Is it safe to shift between 'D' and 'L' while moving?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Shift away! You can drive at any speed you want in "L" or "D". Why you may ask, because D and L aren't really gears, they are really just different modes of regen. "L" being more aggressive than "D". It is an electric car, not a dinosaur ICE vehicle.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
718 Posts
I bought my Volt in Oct last year and love everything about it. Since Ive been driving it for 7 months now, I have a couple questions that I know this forum can answer.

and

Yes and Yes.
Shifting to L simply maps a different amount of regen when you lift your foot off the accelerator, it is basically just a Software change, no mechanical changes, so it can safely be made under any circumstances

·
Registered
419 Posts
and
Yes to both.

"L" is not a gear. At a given mph (or kph), the Volt electric motors run at same RPM whether or not you are in "D" or "L".

"L" simply causes a bit of regenerative braking when you lift your foot off of the accelerator pedal, allowing "one pedal" driving. You can get mild braking without having to use the brake pedal - just ease off the accelerator pedal.

You can drive 100 mph all day long in "L" and do no harm to the Volt - at least, no more harm than if you had it in "D" the whole time!

This same question comes up once a month or so. The answer is still the same! :)

·
1,027 Posts
You can throw it in R too anytime you want too. If your going more than 35 it won't go or "fight" when you press the gas. Below 20 when you press the gas, the car does a super regen and then rockets off backwards when you almost stop.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have learned a great new skill from the contributors to this forum. I treat "low" like a retarder on a large vehicle, controlling my speed on severe mountain grades and re-charging my battery pack as I cut momentum on approach to controlled intersections. I treat "drive" like a smooth way to cruise on the flats between stop signs. I need to over-ride my technique when I am forced to operate rough and wasteful automatic transmission, engine-driven vehicles at work.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You can throw it in R too anytime you want too. If your going more than 35 it won't go or "fight" when you press the gas. Below 20 when you press the gas, the car does a super regen and then rockets off backwards when you almost stop.
I don't have my volt yet -- but I'm having a hard time telling if this is a joke, or if it's serious... I mean I don't want to hurt my volt when I get it but I'm kind of curious what will really happen if you did throw it into R going say 15mph in the forward direction?

I'm normally very good with internet sarcasm vs truth, this one has me stumped though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
As others have said, you can leave in L all the time if you like. Or leave it in D, it doesn't matter. I like to drive in D and coast as much as possible [if no one is behind me] to maximize my EV range. When I need to slow down I shift to L, then back to D when I reaccelerate back to speed. If I have to actually stop, then I use the brakes [normally I just press enough to turn on the brake lights and get a little extra regen].

I have no problems with wearing out my shifter with all of that frequent shifting back and forth between D and L. I have been doing this since February 2011 when I received one of the first Volts. In January 2014 I traded my 2011 with 30k miles for a 2014 Volt.

GSP

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I don't have my volt yet -- but I'm having a hard time telling if this is a joke, or if it's serious... I mean I don't want to hurt my volt when I get it but I'm kind of curious what will really happen if you did throw it into R going say 15mph in the forward direction?

I'm normally very good with internet sarcasm vs truth, this one has me stumped though.
Go for it. Would you have a problem hitting the "reverse" speed on an electric fan? No problem, it is an electric drive system and all that is happening is changing the phase angle on the electric motor. The motor will essentially slow down and then reverse the direction of rotation. I do it all the time at slow speeds (backing out of a parking spot, etc) without taking my foot off the accelerator. However, I will say that if you get too aggressive you will be putting a significant torque on the axle shafts.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

and

Yes. You will not harm anything by switching between the two while driving

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have learned a great new skill from the contributors to this forum. I treat "low" like a retarder on a large vehicle, controlling my speed on severe mountain grades and re-charging my battery pack as I cut momentum on approach to controlled intersections. I treat "drive" like a smooth way to cruise on the flats between stop signs. I need to over-ride my technique when I am forced to operate rough and wasteful automatic transmission, engine-driven vehicles at work.
What is a retarder?

Driving in L is like driving a 4:10 gear car. Let off the gas and the vehicle slows quicker than a 2:73 gear car :)

My preference is 'L', all day/night 365 days a year :)

·
Registered
156 Posts

Go for it. Would you have a problem hitting the "reverse" speed on an electric fan? No problem, it is an electric drive system and all that is happening is changing the phase angle on the electric motor. The motor will essentially slow down and then reverse the direction of rotation. I do it all the time at slow speeds (backing out of a parking spot, etc) without taking my foot off the accelerator. However, I will say that if you get too aggressive you will be putting a significant torque on the axle shafts.

VIN # B0985
+1 to that. Love to do this to unsuspecting passengers (in a safe area of course).

·
1,027 Posts

Completely serious. It won't hurt it. Promise. It's fun.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
What is a retarder?
Any number of braking technologies that aren't straight friction brakes. Mostly people think of diesel "jake brakes", which opens the exhaust valve at the top dead center of the piston stroke, instead of at the bottom of the power stroke, with no fuel entering. Basically turns the whole engine into a REALLY NOISY air compressor.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

and

Yes, I drive in L every day, in traffic and at highway speeds.

While you can and it is safe to switch between D & L while moving, any potential 'gains' are negligible. Enjoy the ride :)

Just don't be one of those people forever shifting to neutral while driving in the hopes of adding a mile to your range. It's unsafe and a waste of time :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't want to wear out the shifter- I modulate the regen paddle instead. 'L' is about 50% of the regen paddle braking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts