GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the remarkable aspects of the Volt is the feedback the dash provides on your fuel efficiency. The Volt subtlety trains the driver behavior to be more efficient (less wasteful) when it comes to the power used to drive the car. Both my wife and I have become more efficient drivers as a result, even in our our car—though it is harder without the Volts really nice feedback system. It makes a game out of hitting a score. And it keeps track of your score.

This article basically says if all cars where equipped like the Volt, we would consume less gas as a nation.

"Researchers at the University of California, Riverside’s Center for Environmental Research and Technology (CERT) are developing a new way of boosting fuel efficiency by as much as 30 percent without changing a car’s powertrain at all."

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/09/uc-riverside-cert-study-fuel-efficiency/

VoltEfficiencyBall.jpg

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
You are exactly right. I have had my Volt for a full eight months now, and have about 8,000 miles on it. I have to admit here that I am kind of a leadfoot, especially from stoplights. I can't resist "showing off" a little. (I figure it is our duty to show that the Volt is not just another "econobox")

As a result of this slightly "bad" behavior, I had never seen much better than a 38 mile range, and usually it has been closer to 35 miles range after a full charge. I was starting to worry about whether I might have gotten a "weak" battery or something.

But just for fun, the other day I drove my 18 mile commute and other errands on city streets, tried keeping the green ball close to centered, drove in L mode and really used that to match to the stoplights, traffic, etc. Mind you I was not really hypermiling that intently or anything, just avoiding hard stops and starts, and the daily battery powered mileage hit 46 before I got home! And this was with the air conditioning on the whole time.

YMMV has never been truer!

By the way, at an autocross we ran the Volt in a few months ago for kicks, we noticed that it would use 8 miles of battery range for only one mile of full throttle, hard braking fun. So, I should have realized sooner just why my daily range has always been a little low. I just might try this hypermiling stuff a little more, now that I see how much difference it really makes.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I would like to say that the Volt's green ball display is quite good at giving feedback about the driver's driving style/habits.

However, I would like to suggest to GM that they add another display alongside the power-flow one on the center stack that is sort of a vertical bar numbered ampmeter that shows amperage going to the electric drive motor, that changes gradually from green to yellow to red at full amps, and similarly does the same if the braking exceeds the regenerative stage and uses the actual brakes. It would be cool to see the maximum 50 amps draw, or whatever maximum really is, on a display. That might encourage me more to resist my "leadfoot" tendancies. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
We have had our Volt for less than a month (ok...almost 2 weeks) and I can tell you that my driving habits have changed immensely because of that stupid green ball!:cool: I also have found that I drive in town instead of freeway whenever I can so I can regen as many miles as possible.

There is that bit of competition on my part :rolleyes:...I drove one way and had my DH (dear husband) drive back just so I could compare our "electrical power usage". I won...but then-I did not tell him we were competing!! LOL;)
Oh...Did I tell you all that I love our Volt!!!:D:D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I haven't heard of anybody yet, (on this forum, at least) that hates, or even dislikes their Volt. That is significant, IMO. I think it is because the Volt has multiple personalities.

It can be the ultimate econobox, getting far better mileage, (cost per mile) than any other vehicle on the road yet. (actually the Leaf ties it)

Or, it can be one of the smoothest, quietest, most luxerious cars available, with your favorite type of soothing music, giving stress-free commutes or errand running.

Or, it can be a wonderfully competant road car, with excellant handling, feel and manners driving up to the mountains or down the coast.

Or, you can occasionally indulge yourself with a blast from a stoplight that surprises most other drivers, and reminds you that you are not driving a "slug".

Or, you are constantly reminded that this car is almost like a car from the future, it is that much more "tech" and futuristic than anything else yet available.

Chevrolet, and GM, have hit a "home run" with this car in so many ways, it almost defies logic. Whatever the "formula" they used to create and refine this car, they need to incorperate in every other car they build, because it is not only far superior to anything else GM makes, it even compares favorably to traditionally higher end cars.

Oh, sure, it has a few glaring ommissions, glitches, etc. But the whole car is so amazing that, in the future, they will probably be known as "quirks" in a car that becomes legendary. IMHO

Of course, a Tesla Roadster probably would best the Volt in many of these categories, but at less than half the price, the Volt would seem to have no right to be so "perfect" for it's niche.

It is just that the Volt is capable of being a wonderful match for whatever mood it's driver happens to be in. It just makes it "fun" to drive, no matter what your destination or circumstances happen to be. I don't think I could ever again consider a "gas" car for a future purchase. I am totally "spoiled".

The only thing I need/want now is a Voltec powered van/suv with larger range, and medium towing capacity for larger passenger load, and towing a boat or small trailer. Are you listening, GM?

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have had our Volt for less than a month (ok...almost 2 weeks) and I can tell you that my driving habits have changed immensely because of that stupid green ball!:cool:
Oh...Did I tell you all that I love our Volt!!!:D:D
My wife wants to replace our other car with a Volt. She came to that conclusion after driving the Volt for only a few weeks! We both tend toward maximizing MPG/Battery distance. First, we use that green ball, second we use Low for max regen in city driving.

Third, when our trip exceeds the battery range, and consists of a city/highway/city sandwich, we slip into Mountain Mode when the battery is at half full on the return highway leg to conserve the last 4 bars of battery charge (we don't use MM to recharge an empty battery). We then switch from MM to Normal about 14 miles from home during the city drive portion. This uses the battery where it is most efficient (city driving) and ICE electric generator where it is most efficient (highway).

We get extra battery mileage and lower gas consumption using these three techniques.

I haven't heard of anybody yet, (on this forum, at least) that hates, or even dislikes their Volt.
I dislike the fact that the Volt has spoiled me. I hate driving our other car now. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Chevrolet, and GM, have hit a "home run" with this car in so many ways, it almost defies logic. Whatever the "formula" they used to create and refine this car, they need to incorperate in every other car they build, because it is not only far superior to anything else GM makes, it even compares favorably to traditionally higher end cars.
I can't resist reminding you that if the Republicans had had their way, there would be no VOLT. When Obama and the administration were fighting to rescue GM in 2008/9, Senators Shelby and McConnell were leading the Republicans in Congress in a fight to stop any taxpayers money from being used to rescue GM and Chrysler. Fortunately at that time they were in the minority at that time. Incidentally both of these senators received tens of thousand donations from Honda and Toyota.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I can't resist reminding you that if the Republicans had had their way, there would be no VOLT.
Can we keep gratuitous political drive-by mud-slinging in the Other->Politics, Finance, and Environment forum please? Bomb throwing and rabble rousing in the Engineering and Design forum is really off-topic and non-productive for this forum's topic IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts