GM Volt Forum banner

drivers side window gremlin

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lindarush 
#1 ·
Suddenly my drivers side window goes down on its own, in spurts, or all at once, or not for awhile, and then again. The lever will respond to close it again when it wants to. We have ruled out the key bobs and wet weather, and we don't think its the 12 Volt battery, as other things work and it hasn't completely stopped opening.

#3 ·
My guess is moisture got into the switch or wiring somewhere and is trapped, occasionally causing a short in the logic part of the electronics that's enough to trigger the relay. You could take a hair dryer to the switch itself (obviously taking care not to melt it), as well as blowing it down in the window well with the window all the way down. I can't guarantee this will even improve the situation at all, but if it's an issue caused by past moisture, it'd at least solve it temporarily.

I'm sure the dealer can replace the switch fairly easily, but they're going to charge an exorbitant amount for it because they can.

#4 ·
My guess is moisture got into the switch or wiring somewhere and is trapped, occasionally causing a short in the logic part of the electronics that's enough to trigger the relay.
First, put the door in a plastic bag filled with rice... :)

#5 ·
Thank you for your insights about moisture! Now that we've had a week of sunshine, we took a 40 min drive and back yesterday and the gremlin was apparently off duty. Whew. I'm feeling hopeful that we may have this isolated. I'm glad I didn't set up an apt for a colonoscopy at the dealer just yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.