GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you have the same noise I've had. The driver's side vent making a rattling sound. I opened the fuse door on the lower left side of the steering wheel. There is a cable there - not sure what it's for either electric or for the hood release - but there's a lot of slack on the line and it's leaning directly on the side of the plastic dashboard. When the car hits a bump it taps on the plastic. I didn't have any duct tape to secure the cable so I placed some cloth between the dashboard and the cable for insulation. No more rattling when I hit bumps. GM - You should look at these things. You would have much happier owners with such a small change in the build of the car.
I finally feel like the car is a premium quality car. Solid and not cringing when I hit bumps.

I hope this helps guys!!

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Thanks for the update, rayr3004!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Definitely will keep an ear out for this sound during acceptance of my Volt. Thank you, rayr3004!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, for me, the cable was above the fuse block. Correct?
When viewing the fuse block you can see the cable sitting against the left side dashboard - plastic cable/wire against plastic dashboard. When you drive over bumps this taps and creates the rattling sound. GM needed less slack in the wire or some insulation inside the dashboard or both to not have this be an annoyance.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I still can't find what you are talking about. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean by "dashboard"? When I open the panel (remove the door), I see the fuse block and there is just a cable above it. Nothing to the left or right of it, or even below it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still can't find what you are talking about. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean by "dashboard"? When I open the panel (remove the door), I see the fuse block and there is just a cable above it. Nothing to the left or right of it, or even below it.
Mmmm. When I looked to the left of the fuse block I had a cable/wire sitting there against the left side (inside the dashboard ) Guess yours is different.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine too. I had put a little sticky tack under the door as well.
What do you mean? What did the sticky tack do?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine too. I had put a little sticky tack under the door as well.
Did you mean the fuse box door ? Did it help?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. Not to beat a dead horse, but I've still had a small rattle near my driver's side vent. It was strange because I stuffed some black foam/sponge pieces where the dash meets the windshield, which kept the dash from having movement. I still had this small rattle when I was driving slowly over rough pavement. It almost sounded like it was in the vent. Very annoying. If I pushed down where the main dash meets the top part the sound was gone. I went online and pulled up the Service Manual for the Volt. I found a picture of the Instrument Panel Extension - the top part of the dash - which shows the clips that attach it to the main dash. I tapped down all around the dash and everything is very solid now. I've been driving for over a week without the sound. It was a clip that the installer didn't do such a great job attaching. Persistence pays off. I understand it is such a small thing, but it was ruining my enjoyment when driving. It made the car feel cheap - at $40K. Now it feels very sold. If others are still having problems I hope this can help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ok. Not to beat a dead horse, but I've still had a small rattle near my driver's side vent. It was strange because I stuffed some black foam/sponge pieces where the dash meets the windshield, which kept the dash from having movement. I still had this small rattle when I was driving slowly over rough pavement. It almost sounded like it was in the vent. Very annoying. If I pushed down where the main dash meets the top part the sound was gone. I went online and pulled up the Service Manual for the Volt. I found a picture of the Instrument Panel Extension - the top part of the dash - which shows the clips that attach it to the main dash. I tapped down all around the dash and everything is very solid now. I've been driving for over a week without the sound. It was a clip that the installer didn't do such a great job attaching. Persistence pays off. I understand it is such a small thing, but it was ruining my enjoyment when driving. It made the car feel cheap - at $40K. Now it feels very sold. If others are still having problems I hope this can help.
Where did you get the service manual, I'm very interested since the only one I have is for the Gen1...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where did you get the service manual, I'm very interested since the only one I have is for the Gen1...
https://www.repairprocedures.com/service-manual/document/2016/chevrolet/volt/body-hardware-and-trim/instrument-panel-extension-replacement/100304247_8766138_9700150_9700249_8_4074979.html

I went through the left side part descriptions on the page. I did not buy anything. I used what they had as examples. Since I wrote this I have done additional sound dampening. The rattle noise by the driver's vent is the fuse box door below the vent. I put the soft part of velcro all around the door opening to dampen any plastic on plastic sound. It worked great.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just found this thread in a search. Wanted to know if these sounds got any worse after the heater was used, as I've been having some similar sounds that appear to come from the vent in my 2017 Premier. Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts