GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been any resolution to this problem? My screen comes and goes randomly. It is not a dimmer issue, doesn't act like an LCD bulb (display is crystal clear when on). Has anyone replaced the video graphics card in the main computer?

This should be a class action suit. This is incredibly dangerous. Not able to see speed, warning lights, fuel, nothing!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Maybe nobody else as seen such a thing.

Do you want a wildass guess? "connector worked loose, make intermittent open circuits". There.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts

Do you want a wildass guess? "connector worked loose, make intermittent open circuits". There.

You stole my answer...

There was a recent post from a Gen 2 owners whose dash would go out every time he put his blinker on for a right turn. Dealer could find nothing wrong with the turn signal indicator. It turned out to be a lose connector in the cargo area that shifted slightly when the car turned. Then made contact again. Weird but true.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Has there been any resolution to this problem? My screen comes and goes randomly. It is not a dimmer issue, doesn't act like an LCD bulb (display is crystal clear when on). Has anyone replaced the video graphics card in the main computer?

This should be a class action suit. This is incredibly dangerous. Not able to see speed, warning lights, fuel, nothing!
I've had the instrument cluster go out in other cars. It happens.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
659 Posts
Had this happen only once on my G2. Didn’t find any blown fuses but did find that many of the fuses in the panel could be pushed in about 1-2 mm. I know that these systems are sensitive to voltage and noise in the circuits, perhaps the fuse was a bit loose, not sure. Problem never came back.

Back in the day I specialized in computer automation of power plants. There was always glitches and gremlins causing alarms and outages that could not be explained. After instituting an annual “tighten every connection” program, such gremlins dropped to almost nothing. These cars are like computers on wheels, subjected to lots of bumps and vibrations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You stole my answer...

There was a recent post from a Gen 2 owners whose dash would go out every time he put his blinker on for a right turn. Dealer could find nothing wrong with the turn signal indicator. It turned out to be a lose connector in the cargo area that shifted slightly when the car turned. Then made contact again. Weird but true.
There are numerous posts about this, so it's seen by many. However, I haven't seen a resolution that didn't involve $1000 dealer cost other than replacing the whole unit and reprogramming and that can go wrong.

Sorry, but people telling me you personally haven't seen it didn't resolve the situation at all.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
I haven't seen a resolution that didn't involve $1000 dealer cost other than replacing the whole unit and reprogramming and that can go wrong.
So is it worth possibly a $1k savings for you to inspect and push in all the fuses and connectors you can find? Maybe you'll be lucky and find/fix the culprit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts