GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2013 Volt, top of the line, everything... I LOVED it.
I went this weekend to get the promotion of the 0% financing and given the negative equity that I had in my old vehicle, I wound up working into a 2017 Volt Premier trim with Driver Confidence Package I. With ALL of the beautiful upgrades that they have done (especially the SPECTACULAR changes for nighttime driving) I am seriously going to miss the lane departure and front collision alerts that only come with the Confidence Package II. I know the II adds the newer versions of these with the actual keep assist and adaptive cruise control, which I would really like to use...

Is it at all possible to do an upgrade to the firmware/software within the vehicle or is this strictly, 100% ONLY applied at the factory? It would seem that the sensors are there given that it has the park assist and the detection for the parking sensors as well as the blindspot notification on lane departure.

Since I plan on keeping this Volt longer than the 3 years I had my previous Volt and that having the lane departure warning and Front collision alert feature there for the last 3 years, I feel like I am going backwards in my safety options despite buying a newer car. My spouse feels very bad because he was aware that it wasn't there when we were making the deal on the car we purchased (which literally rolled off the truck that morning, with 4 miles on it and had not even been in-processed). I feel bad because I feel like I am being a whiny-baby or irresponsible driver relying on these features but when one spends almost $50k on something (including negative equity) I would like to get at least what I had before.

So to repeat my questions are:
1) Can the Driver Confidence Package II be added after it leaves the factory? Especially since I already have the Package I
2) Am I being too picky on this? It seems like such a cheap upgrade for an option which can really have an impact on safety.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
1. Sorry no it's next to impossible as it's not just software. It's hardware too and a significant amount of it including electrical harnesses.Plus the original equipment is all essentially locked in by the VIN so no dealer will offer this extensive of upgrade.

2. Perhaps. But you simply should have bought the car you wanted with the equipment you desired. I would go back to the dealer and cut a deal to get the car you actually wanted. Do it soon as GM dealers will often honor a cooling off period where you can change your mind.

Welcome to gm-volt.com
WopOnTour

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
it's going to be next to impossible to add the missing features. I hope you don't get buyers remorse.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Don't loose any sleep over it. I have blind spot detection and active braking on my Volvo. The tech is far from impressive and half baked. Volvos blind spot system (called BLIS) is very temperamental and misfires in heavy rain, heavy traffic, and snow. I have to deactivate it regularly.

volvo's auto braking is called city safety. It never did anything for me. It triggers mostly if I get to close to my own garage door. Sacres the bejeesus out of the wife.

I ordered my premiere with no extra packages. I will gladly keep the saved money in my pocket. The only option I considered was the lit charge port. But then I couldn't justify 200$ since I can just flip my garage light switch.

·
Registered
968 Posts
1. WopOnTour is the most knowledgeable forum member/moderator on this forum with insight on the specifics on the Volt that can't be matched. So if he says it is next to impossible then trust him.

2. The D2 technology is not perfect but has saved me from a potential accident at least a half dozen times in 8 months of ownership. I have no regrets spending the extra cash on this feature. Collision alert will somebtimes give false positives, maybe once a month but havent figured out what causes it. The lane keep assist is good and has saved me a few times from drifting but sometimes gets confused which has me fighting with the steering wheel at times (never so much where it put me in danger but can be a nuisance sometimes. It helps much more than it hinders but just thought I'd mention that it is not perfect.

Maybe you can go back and swap it out for another with D2. If not, its still a great car. Good luck.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I disagree. My experience is that it works very well on the Volt and I would not want to be without it...

Don't loose any sleep over it. I have blind spot detection and active braking on my Volvo.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
2. The D2 technology is not perfect but has saved me from a potential accident at least a half dozen times in 8 months of ownership.
I get that it is helpful, but are you saying

1. You otherwise have been getting into 6 accidents per 8 months prior to getting a Volt?
  2. IOW, let's assume you did not have the feature, would you have had 6 accidents?
  3. If you would have had 6 accidents with the Volt, and assuming you previously were NOT getting into 6 accidents every 8 months, has the Volt made you start driving recklessly?
If the answer to #1 is, no, that implies you are now driving more recklessly because of this feature, or you have had a very incredible and unlucky past 8 months.

If the answer to #1 is yes, then the extra cost of the Volt safety system has been a great investment and your insurance premiums will benefit.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Trading in a car with negative equity on something that doesn't have what you want...my advise is to be more patient next time. Patience allows you to save a bigger down payment, wait for the car with the features you want, wait for the deal of the century, and not keep losing your shirt on depreciation and dealer profit. If you are patient long enough you can pay cash for the next car.

Despite an 845 credit rating, I will never borrow money again for a vehicle. Just imagine how much money you'd have if you didn't have any payments.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I will never borrow money again for a vehicle. Just imagine how much money you'd have if you didn't have any payments.
I would imagine that I would have just enough to buy a new car in about 6 years provided that my existing car lasted that long without any major repairs!

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you can get a zero percentage - or close to it - loan, you would have to be a fool not to take it and use someone else's money!

Despite an 845 credit rating, I will never borrow money again for a vehicle. Just imagine how much money you'd have if you didn't have any payments.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello The whole package for $495? That can not be real?. I had trouble getting just the rear camera. After 5 phone calls about a rear camera I stopped. call Tom, No that's Bob's job ect. Yeah will get back to you. But I may try again.

When selling the car the Dealer says 'oh yeah you can add that later'. About $800. Bla bla.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I disagree. My experience is that it works very well on the Volt and I would not want to be without it...
Perhaps. Nevertheless, it's no reason for the OP to commit financial suicide. In the long list of things that keep me awake at night, driver confodence #2, or the lack thereof, is fard own the least.

·
Registered
388 Posts
hello ....Need one of those logic trees for this one. There may be a do loop in there someplace

I get that it is helpful, but are you saying

1. You otherwise have been getting into 6 accidents per 8 months prior to getting a Volt?
  2. IOW, let's assume you did not have the feature, would you have had 6 accidents?
  3. If you would have had 6 accidents with the Volt, and assuming you previously were NOT getting into 6 accidents every 8 months, has the Volt made you start driving recklessly?
If the answer to #1 is, no, that implies you are now driving more recklessly because of this feature, or you have had a very incredible and unlucky past 8 months.

If the answer to #1 is yes, then the extra cost of the Volt safety system has been a great investment and your insurance premiums will benefit.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
hello ....Need one of those logic trees for this one. There may be a do loop in there someplace

haha, I once burned through our class computer time budget with an accidental do loop.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
If you can get a zero percentage - or close to it - loan, you would have to be a fool not to take it and use someone else's money!
Only if you still keep the money in and investment and not spend it on something else. Far too many people are lured by 0% interest, but are technically broke because of the zero turn mowers, bass boats, sea doos, atvs, and too many cars. Again, I will not borrow money to buy any vehicle unless someone pays me interest for the privilege.

·
Registered
968 Posts
2....I have no regrets spending the extra cash on this feature. Collision alert will somebtimes give false positives, maybe once a month but havent figured out what causes it. The lane keep assist is good and has saved me a few times from drifting but sometimes gets confused which has me fighting with the steering wheel at times (never so much where it put me in danger but can be a nuisance sometimes. It helps much more than it hinders but just thought I'd mention that it is not perfect.

Maybe you can go back and swap it out for another with D2. If not, its still a great car. Good luck.
@Steverino. I'm stating that i think its worth the extra cash and am glad that i have the feature but just stating that it is not perfect and has some quirks. Yes, i feel it has saved me and paid itself off with regards to my insurance.

I thought most understood my angle but apparently not all. =)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
To the OP...First step would be to drop everything you're doing and search to see if the dealer/states offers a return policy...Autonation has one...If it doesn't, I would drive there ASAP, ask for the General Manager and tell them the truth, you're having regrets and want the upper trim version...The good news is you're looking for something more expensive, but overall odds are you're SOL, just have to chalk it up to a lesson learned if it doesn't happen...Only other thing is the MY16 Premier is 20% off right now, maybe you could sell your car to CarMax and buy a MY16 on the cheap and you'll be happy with your payments...No one can or should comment on this method until you get hard numbers...If CarMax will give you $20K it would be far different than if they gave you $30K...Odds are you will get screwed but who knows...Can't hurt to get hard numbers and then decide if that's for you...

Hello The whole package for $495? That can not be real?. I had trouble getting just the rear camera. After 5 phone calls about a rear camera I stopped. call Tom, No that's Bob's job ect. Yeah will get back to you. But I may try again.

When selling the car the Dealer says 'oh yeah you can add that later'. About $800. Bla bla.
The Volt has the rear camera standard (for MY18 it's actually mandated for all light vehicles)...What the dealer was most likely talking about was they didn't know if it was on the Volt or not but was suggesting an aftermarket route...To answer about the $495 package, you first need the higher of the two trims, the Premier, then you need to add C1 for $495...So if you were expecting to just $495 to a base LT Volt, you can't...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I'll also add Tesla sure has spoiled us, not with the product but with the process...The funny part is even with Tesla there's so little that you can add later...

We'll see what happen for the MY18 Volt...Even with ACC, for the MY17 Volt it was originally a $1195 option that was recently reduced to $595...The Civic may have changed the change by offering the safety package on all trims for about a grand...Toyota just had a press release that all MY18 vehicles will have the safety package standard and the arch nemesis of the Volt has been the Prius for some reason...If GM follows in its competitions footsteps all future Volts could have some active safety features standard...They said they were going to do this on the Bolt yet it's not fully known what specific safety features are standard...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the comments. Here's some replies to the variety of discussion this opened up:

It does look like in fact my car would need the camera and associated harness etc.
The dealer is (stupidly?) closed today (4th of July) and on Sunday so it'll be tomorrow before I can do anything.
We may have issues anyways because they are saying we didn't get several upgrades (like dealer installed tint which is supposed to be installed on ALL vehicles and all-weather mats which aren't in the vehicle)
The $495 is the difference between having just the DCP I and DCP II. The one I bought only has DCP I and is on the Premier trim, no nav.
The dealer had no MY16 available and none at partner dealerships for the '16 20% off.

I have checked on the dealer's site and I guess there isn't enough competition around North Florida to deserve a good "satisfaction guarantee".
They did technically give it to me below invoice, but I think they'll make up for it in what they sell my '13 for.
I did get 0% financing and given the risk of having many thousands in negative equity that I would be responsible for since the 3 year GAP from the insurance company expired, it was something that wasn't sitting well in the event something did happen.

I had the forward collision alert in my 13 and though I consider myself a good driver, it was helpful on several occasions. One memorable time was heading home late at night after working 18 hours (only to have to be back at work in 8 hours) and I started to doze off. It beeped to alert me of another vehicle in front of me and I became alert and stopped in time. Other times the lane departure warning was a huge help. The Side Blindspot Monitoring is useful but only if one is actively changing lanes and there's a vehicle there.
I haven't given it the thought of "making a higher priced sale" so maybe I can approach it from that angle and see what I can get. If they haven't submitted the paperwork to the DMV, I wonder if it would be considered "titled" and now "used" or if that happens as soon as the ink is applied?

Thanks all for the information so far and I really appreciate the details and options/ideas for getting into something that checks off all the boxes.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That is a given. I've already made 25% more than the cost of my last vehicle in returns from the money I was able to keep and invest by taking my credit union's 0.39% loan instead of paying cash... I stand by my statement.

Only if you still keep the money in and investment and not spend it on something else.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts