GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all--

I live with a friend who takes the interior garage space with his car (his house :p), so I park outside and hence have to use the portable 110V charger. However, the way the garage is setup relative to the outside plug, the cord to the 110V charger crosses the driveway to get to my car.

Question: Is it ok for my friend to drive his Nissan Altima over the charge cord or am I just asking for trouble?

Note: This is a lease Volt.

Any advice (or better yet, solid facts) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

* Ian *

·
Registered
186 Posts
ONE TIME I tried parking my tire on the cord to prevent theft. The next day it left quite an impression of both tread and concrete. I can't imagine that constantly running over it can be good.

Some members have used those cord gutter things to protect. You can find that at your hardware store.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
.Question: Is it ok for my friend to drive his Nissan Altima over the charge cord or am I just asking for trouble?..
Any advice (or better yet, solid facts) would be appreciated...*
If you have to ask, you already know the answer.
this is an electrical cord, it is made up of soft copper wire, covered with soft plastic. you are asking of you can regularly press it between a 1000 pound hard rubber tire and an abrasive concrete surface. Would you be willing to run your hand over the same way? the cord has about as much protection as the blood vessels inside your hand. One time you might get away with some broken bones and internal bleeding, after 25 or 30 times you are going to have hamburger...

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I think even a heavy towel or moving blanket would be enough cushion to go over it.
please read my response above and ask yourself the same question- would I be willing to put my hand in the same place?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Two decking boards with the wire running between them should provide protection for the wire. Low enough to drive over and high enough to protect the wire. Straps at the ends to keep them from spreading apart.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
985 Posts
the EVCS cord has 4 wires inside if I am not mistaking, 1 wire inside is a pilot smaller gauge wire, likely more fregile then the heavier wires. Repeatedly driving over it will destroy your cable.
If you on the the cheap, take a 2x4 or 1x4 lumber, cut a grove in in with a circular saw, rest the cable in the groove. round the sharp edges off the lumber so driving over it won't be harsh. You be ok for a while.
or search for something like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Home-Improvement-Floor-Cord-Covers/zgbs/hi/6577538011

·
Registered
627 Posts
Two decking boards with the wire running between them should provide protection for the wire. Low enough to drive over and high enough to protect the wire. Straps at the ends to keep them from spreading apart.

VIN # B0985
This gets my vote. I have seen this method used at many construction job sites. Even some thick rubber mats on either side of the cord to bridge the cord so the tire passes over the cord with out smashing it

·
Registered
569 Posts
Or get a 10gage extention cord, maybe 25' and pass it over the garage door to your car or from inside the garage so nothing shows?

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Either of the wooden board suggestions would be suitable to protect the cord. Repeatedly driving over the unprotected cord would not be a good idea.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Of course the correct way would be to have an electrician install a receptacle in the correct location. Everything else is patch job.

Bill

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I agree with BILLY101... Just have an outlet installed in the right location.

Driving over the cord will eventually cause a short circuit and possible damage your EVSE or your vehicle. Don't do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, thanks for all the replies.

I am here only temporarily (months), so I am not looking for a long term solution.

Since I have to put the charger away every day and pull it back out every night after getting home from work, the solution has to be very easy to engage and disengage from.

I worry a bit that someone could either steal the unit itself ($400) and/or steal the heavy gauge 25 foot extension cord that I use to attach to it. Sure, the alarm would go off (assuming that I remember to lock the car), but I probably wouldn't make it out of the house before they drove away with it.

I have to weigh the pros and cons of going through the hassle of disconnecting it and reconnecting it every time my housemate wants to leave vs. paying $80 for a drive over cover (http://www.discountramps.com/cable-protector/p/DH-CP-5/ ...thanks for the link) vs. making my own with some wood and getting to buy a saw.

Up until now, he graciously gave me the garage spot so everything was fine. But now that it is 110 degrees outside, he wanted his spot back (can't blame him).

Anyone else have any temporary ideas?

Thanks.

* Ian *

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
OK,
Anyone else have any temporary ideas?

* Ian *
go to the home center or hardware or tool store and buy a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord and run it around the curb end of the other car. that's how I charge at home. plug your EVSE (which is built with 14 gauge wire by the way) into the 12 gauge extension cord.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts