GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife loves her Volt, but frequently forgets to plug it in. It would be great if Chevy came out with the first "drive on charger" that could be installed permanently in your garage. I'll bet it would not be all that difficult and would be a game changer for electric car owners.

Ken

·
8,680 Posts
My wife loves her Volt, but frequently forgets to plug it in. It would be great if Chevy came out with the first "drive on charger" that could be installed permanently in your garage. I'll bet it would not be all that difficult and would be a game changer for electric car owners.

Ken
There is such a device - and the Volt is actually one of the few cars it currently supports. Search for Plugless Power. It's not cheap, and you lose around 12% more power going into the car, but from what I've read it seems to work okay.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
It seems that Plugless never completed development of their wireless charging option for the Gen 2 Volt.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It was my understanding that they are still working on their wireless pad for the Gen II Volt....just not ready yet. I am hoping that someday wireless charging for all BEV's will be commonplace. But for now it is very limited and expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, pretty cool! A buddy and I always joke about ideas we come up with. Someone else is always years ahead of us. :)

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
It was my understanding that they are still working on their wireless pad for the Gen II Volt....just not ready yet. I am hoping that someday wireless charging for all BEV's will be commonplace. But for now it is very limited and expensive.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Plugless charging option for the Gen 2 Volt. Either Plugless has determined that there is not sufficient market demand for the Gen 2 Volt plugless charger or there are technical challenges that make this impractical for the Gen 2 Volt. A better bet would be a plugless charging option for the 2017 and 2018 Bolt.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I put a deposit down on the Gen II Plugless Power unit when it was announced. They refunded me that deposit a while ago due to their decision to not finish and sell the product. I was sad but appreciative that they didn't make me fight (or even ask) for a refund.

·
Registered
628 Posts
There's a reminder feature built into the MyChevrolet app, just use that.

Either that, or put a recurring calendar entry into her phone that pops up at a certain time every evening reminding her to check it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts