GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Facebook posting. Anyone else having issues? I am.

G.C. July 18 at 8:14am
Drive Mode Selection button will not work intermittently (some days, it will not work at all). 2012 Volt Currently at 90,000kms (2.5 years old) and took it in to be serviced today and they mention that this will NOT be covered under the drivetrain warranty. It controls the drivetrain. Can anyone explain why I will be forced to either pay to replace the whole center stack button panel or be stuck in 'Normal' Voltage drivetrain for the remaining life of the Volt?
Most of other part of conversation in image below.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

Drive Mode Selection button will not work intermittently (some days, it will not work at all). 2012 Volt Currently at 90,000kms (2.5 years old) and took it in to be serviced today and they mention that this will NOT be covered under the drivetrain warranty. It controls the drivetrain. Can anyone explain why I will be forced to either pay to replace the whole center stack button panel or be stuck in 'Normal' Voltage drivetrain for the remaining life of the Volt?
http://www.gmwholesaledirect.com/au...e/body-hardware-cat/cluster-and-switches-scat

Maybe because the part breakdown doesn't go below the entire Control Panel as the LRU!?

Why not just remove the control panel since it is only held on by 2 screws and see if it possible to repair the sticky switch first instead of replacing it outright?:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
That does seem strange. I haven't had any issues, although Inhave accidentally selected the wrong mode while highway driving when I first got the car. I would love a knob with a button to lock in sport mode on top, regardless if you are in hold, normal or mountain.

Kinda like this but with Sport in the middle:
(From Corvette)

3,608 Posts

Hi scottf200,

I can understand how this could be concerning and I apologize for the inconvenience. I can’t guarantee anything, but I would be happy to notify your Volt Advisor and have them look into this. Please let me know if this is something you are interested in.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been meaning to respond ... have several other hobbies going and it is summertime!

The switch seems to be a little schizophrenic. It is hard to tell if it is entirely a mechanical wear issue or not. Sometimes you have to press it and hold it momentarily and it works. Other times it does not but you can try it a few times and it will respond.

It is just annoying because it use to be a:
- glance, watch road, tap, tap.
and now it is:
- while stopped, glance, push, watch DIC for the dialog to see if it reacts, push

I have an extended warranty with 0 deductible but I'm sure I will need to have it fail to respond regularly so as not to waste my time going in and having them tell me it was not recreatable or the usage was not far enough out of the norm to be supported by a warranty claim.

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not been able to figure out a pattern but it seems to work normal (quick taps) like 50% of the time, semi-normal 30%, and is very difficult (repeated pushes) 20%. Just and FYI, in case others find this in a search.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I guess I don't understand how someone would think this switch failure would be a life or death situation....another tidbit for faux news to chirp about?

John

·
Registered
473 Posts
If I was unable to get into Mountain Mode the car would be almost unusable to me. I would be really upset.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having the same issue. I worked through my advisor and the dealership. They were not able to recreate the issue. Now the button doesn't work at all.

I was not able to determine a pattern either.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
It may just be a loose connection to the switch. The switch has a wire with a connector that plugs into the switch body. The connector may have corrosion. The dealer should unplug the connection and inspect it.

In ANY case the switch should be under warranty on a 2.5 year old Volt. If your dealer is saying it's not covered he is WRONG. Call your Volt advisor at (877) 486-5846 and get Chevy involved. It will be repaired or replaced under warranty as needed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am having a similar issue in my 2013 Chevy Volt with 38,XXX miles. The DRIVE MODE button works most of the time, but then occasionally is unresponsive. One thing I noticed is that if I hold down the button for about a full second, it seems to respond better.

·
8,680 Posts
My 2012 started doing this a few weeks ago, too. No pattern that I can figure out, but occasionally the mode button doesn't respond or requires a hard push (sometimes pushing hard works, sometimes it doesn't.) The next trip it'll work normally, as it does most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I missed the two post above. As of the past few weeks it is not working at all. I have a $0 deduct extended warranty so I plan on taking it in.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
If it happens to my Volt and the center stack is out of warranty, I would pick up some electrical contact spray (sometimes called tuner spray) and give the button a couple of shots and let it work in.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just bought a center stack on ebay for $150. Had all the buttons. Going to put a Nav unit in my car.
Look for how to put a nav unit in, and just take your center stack out. Might just be some dirt in the button. It really is a 15 min job

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Better than a spray cleaner, this product is way better for intermittent switches:
http://www.amazon.com/DeoxITGOLD-Sp...qid=1422801624&sr=8-2&keywords=deoxit+gold+g5

It is a cleaner/lubricant/conductivity enhancer. 'Plastic safe'.
It is used in the Audio/Video industry and we use it in aviation.

If you're lucky you could give it a blast from the face plate and use an air gun to blast it further into the switch's contact area,,,
but only if you are lucky... Good luck, post pictures of the disassembly when this doesn't work.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Spray cleaners won't do any good for a contact failure within the housing of the plastic button housing. There is a small enclosed momentary switch behind that, much like a tv remote control button. You can try and soldier a new switch on the circuit board within the energy/mode switch assembly. I know as I changed my energy/mode assembly from white to graphite (see my other post) I've taken my two spare control panels apart last summer to review options.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts