GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've looked on ebay and only see two white panels for $200 each. I need a dark brown/black panel or just the switch as you show in the photo two post up.
To save money, buy the cheapest, newest panel regardless of color as long as it does include the "removable" eco/mode switch. You can then change out the color button covers and just use the removable, underlying eco/mode switch housing to be reinstalled in your panel.

I would email the ebay sellers that have totalled Volts, ask them if they will part out the center stack (if the age/wear of the car isn't a concern) With all the issues around this selector I'm hanging on to my spare one for the long haul.

LEFT: Button cover (icon) RIGHT: switch housing (white dot is actual switch)

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
That's it! So, how does one replace the switch or am I hearing switching out the panel is the way to go? Does the switch just pop out?
You would first remove the trim ring around the gear selector, the 2 bolts at the bottom of the center stack panel will be visible. Then pull that panel off (see detailed instructions on this forum) Gently unplug the mode switch wire and gently pry switch retaining tabs to release the small 2 button switch housing out of the panel. When out, gently pry off faces if color is to be changed prior to replacing the new switch into the panel. Press the switch housing back into the center stack panel cavity and reinstall panel and trim ring.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Meridian, thanks for the detailed summary. One last question, how does one tell if the "eco/mode" switch is removeable? I assume all Volts have the mode switch, so what's the difference or are you just saying to make sure no one has already removed the switch.

·
8,680 Posts
Meridian, thanks for the detailed summary. One last question, how does one tell if the "eco/mode" switch is removeable? I assume all Volts have the mode switch, so what's the difference or are you just saying to make sure no one has already removed the switch.
The way I read that sentence, it was make sure the switch assembly was included in what you buy. If the pictures are accurate, 90% of the consoles are being sold with the switches installed right now, but there are some that are being sold without the switches.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Are the central locking buttons and the energy/mode buttons the same electronics?

Just wondering if you could also scour UK parts, which would be the central locking buttons on RHD, and vice versa a RHD car could look for the central locking buttons from a LHD Volt to replace the energy/mode buttons?

·
Registered
974 Posts
On my panels, the central lock controls are built into the panel and can not be removed. The covers can be picked off, but the switch itself on the 11-13 are bult into the same control panel as the whole panel, you would replace the entire center panel if the lock swith fails. Before I consider a lock switch a 'fail' I would pick off the lock 'icon' button cover and test the switch inside with a pencil eraser end. I fear that these switches may fail from the button cover not pressing the internal switch correctly. I'm curious if the mode switch in car's where someone may 'mash' that button often is crushing the 'finger' on the button cover causing it not to respond correctly all the time..

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I fear that these switches may fail from the button cover not pressing the internal switch correctly. I'm curious if the mode switch in car's where someone may 'mash' that button often is crushing the 'finger' on the button cover causing it not to respond correctly all the time..
That's a good point. The switch itself may not be breaking, just the components slowly deform over time and the distance gets further and further, until eventually it doesn't reach any more without excessive force, or not at all.
I'm sure we've all experienced a button that has degraded in this way, be it a mouse, keyboard, microwave, VCR/DVD, etc.

·
8,680 Posts
That's it! So, how does one replace the switch or am I hearing switching out the panel is the way to go? Does the switch just pop out?
Well, the surgery proved to be simple, and took all of twenty minutes. There were only two bolts involved (three if you include the one on the negative ground cable - weirdest cable design I've seen but it works.) Everything else just snaps together and pries apart if you pry the right way.

(You lift the plastic surrounding the shifter and disconnect, then remove two bolts at the bottom of the center console and pull it out of the dash, disconnecting cables as you go. The switch comes out of the back of the panel, held in by four clips of its own.)

Miredian was clearly correct - this switch is easily replaceable, the lock/unlock switch is a part of the main panel electronics for some reason (no idea why they'd be different.) The main electronics board appears to be attached by five bolts and a few snap clips, so it might be fairly easy to replace too, but I haven't pulled that apart, and I presume that you'd need one configured to match your car (before/after 2013, Navigation, heated seats.)

I haven't driven it yet, but no codes posted and I was able to select drive modes, so I'm 90% sure it's a success. Now I have to see if there's anything visibly wrong with the old switch. :)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Miredian was clearly correct - this switch is easily replaceable, the lock/unlock switch is a part of the main panel electronics for some reason (no idea why they'd be different.)
hmmm.... I wonder how that works out in RHD, then? Do you suppose the mode button is then part of the board and the central locking is the removable switch? Yeah, doesn't make sense. I was thinking maybe the mode/CL buttons might have even been rotationally symmetric, reduce the parts count, etc., but that's ruled out.

·
8,680 Posts
hmmm.... I wonder how that works out in RHD, then? Do you suppose the mode button is then part of the board and the central locking is the removable switch? Yeah, doesn't make sense. I was thinking maybe the mode/CL buttons might have even been rotationally symmetric, reduce the parts count, etc., but that's ruled out.
That would make logical sense, but does not match the parts in my hand. I have no idea what GM was thinking. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
$500 to fix a button?!?

Wow... this is ridiculous. Seems like the drive mode button eventually stops working for everyone and is clearly defective. Our local GM dealer quoted us $500 to fix it. We are 1 month out of warranty and leasing the car. Absolutely *ridiculous*. Pretty pissed off.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yeah, my Drive Mode switch is also starting to not working every time I press it. And now I see, that it costs even more than my keyless entry door handle switch, which had to be replaced a month ago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Take a small screwdriver and carefully pry just the drive mode button off (yes, leave the console alone). You will see the small white actual button underneath in the bottom right corner. In park, take a pencil or similar object and verify the actual button works ok. If it doesn't, you'll need to replace. If it does, as I suspect most will, just take two or three tiny pieces of electrical tape layered on top of each other on the back of the drive mode "cap" that you pulled off placed right at the crosshatch (the spot where the back of the cap engages the button). That is literally all it took to fix mine. I suspect things just get loose enough to not fully engage the actual button over time.

·
Registered
974 Posts
These panels are on eBay, just buy the cheapest one you find and replace that mode switch into your current panel and change the button face if color doesn't match.. Easy peasy

·
Administrator
20,789 Posts
Take a small screwdriver and carefully pry just the drive mode button off (yes, leave the console alone). You will see the small white actual button underneath in the bottom right corner. In park, take a pencil or similar object and verify the actual button works ok. If it doesn't, you'll need to replace. If it does, as I suspect most will, just take two or three tiny pieces of electrical tape layered on top of each other on the back of the drive mode "cap" that you pulled off placed right at the crosshatch (the spot where the back of the cap engages the button). That is literally all it took to fix mine. I suspect things just get loose enough to not fully engage the actual button over time.
Thanks for the tip, ampedupnj!

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,608 Posts
These panels are on eBay, just buy the cheapest one you find and replace that mode switch into your current panel and change the button face if color doesn't match.. Easy peasy
But not nearly as easy as AmpedUp's method. And not nearly as inexpensive either. Thanks, AmpedUpNJ.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just remove and replace the button - it worked for me!

Just remove and replace the button - it worked for me!

I tried to put something extra in there similar to what was recommended by someone else and that didn't work. So, I pressed the little white round button with my finger a few times and replaced the button cover and it works perfectly now!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts