GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall reading some of us are starting to experience issues with the drive mode button, either not working or working sporadically. Mine is now giving up the ghost and often when pushing won't call up the menu to toggle through drive modes. Has anyone attempted to fix this or have it fixed? I'm wondering (while I have an extended warranty and hope this would be covered) thought that this might be covered by the 100,000 Voltec warranty. Anyone have any experience and suggestions?

Oh, I have a 2012 with around 74,000 miles.

thanks

·
8,680 Posts
One of our members had it replaced by the dealer at customer expense - I think they replaced the whole center console. Mine is pretty much dead now - I keep meaning to take it apart completely (I had the center console loose and poked around a little a couple months ago to no good effect) - but between it being my only car now and life happening, I haven't gotten around to it.

It's a switch - it can't be that complex, and I can't believe that it isn't fixable without replacing the entire console, but I haven't gotten into the guts of it yet.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Worst case (if you just want a working button), as its not a toggle switch or anything, you can probably tap into the leads behind it and wire in any sort of switch to short the wires momentarily (think like computer tower reset switch)
But I haven't seen the innards either.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recall someone posted a picture of the switch and it looked like it just plugged in and could possible be pulled out, albeit with maybe a special tool. The switch (in the photo) had the male part and the stack the female. I guess I thought maybe it can just be pulled out and replaced without messing with the whole stack.

·
8,680 Posts
I recall someone posted a picture of the switch and it looked like it just plugged in and could possible be pulled out, albeit with maybe a special tool. The switch (in the photo) had the male part and the stack the female. I guess I thought maybe it can just be pulled out and replaced without messing with the whole stack.
That would be sensible and logical. The GM Part websites don't show it as a separate spareable item, and we have two examples where the dealer replaced the whole faceplate here:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?125345-Drive-Mode-Selection-button-is-getting-worn-out-Slow-to-response-hard-push-required

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?54337-Failed-Drive-Mode-switch-Replace-entire-center-console!!-!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Walter, thanks for the links. It appears that the face plate replacement was covered under warranty (at least those with an extended warranty) versus it being replaced under the Voltec warranty. I'll call my warranty company and try to find out one way or another.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
That was Miredian. He had two center consoles and he switched out some of the buttons. See: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?22161-Broken-Drive-Mode-Button&p=2027178#post2027178

Drive Mode Button.jpg

·
Registered
974 Posts
I still have a white switch as a spare. It is very easy to pop out of the infotainment panel. Pester anyone with the panel on ebay and you will get a deal on the part.

I paid $15 for the entire new panel. Just pops out of the panel.

·
8,680 Posts
I still have a white switch as a spare. It is very easy to pop out of the infotainment panel. Pester anyone with the panel on ebay and you will get a deal on the part.

Any pictures? Seeing the switch would help greatly...

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

If its only $15 for a panel, not a huge deal to just get a whole new one.
I was imagining far more $$$.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts

·
8,680 Posts

Somehow, EBay hadn't occurred to me. Thank you for pointing it out. I now have a not-quite-correct for me panel that should be here on Friday for under $90 shipped. (They wanted twice as much for the one that was an exact match.)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's it! So, how does one replace the switch or am I hearing switching out the panel is the way to go? Does the switch just pop out?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I seem to have a similar issue with the door lock switch, which is similar and on the same panel. I use it with the delayed lock feature - I don't have to fish the key fob out of my pocket and I can close the doors and still have time to open the rear hatch before it locks.

I found that if I lightly roll my finger over the switch it usually works - punching it is guaranteed not to work. At 116,000 miles (everything is good and I hope / expect to get 250k), I'm not rushing out to replace it, since the workaround includes pushing down the driver door lock button to lock all doors, or using the fob.

I don't suppose you considered just living with the switch as it is. If you want to spend money for a toy, fine, and the more economical the better, but I almost never use the drive mode button on my 2011 (no hold mode). I have used mountain mode a few times going through the mountains in WV - it is marginal and not like going through the Rockies, but once I got the "reduced power" message for literally about one minute after driving it hard through the mountainous interstate.

·
8,680 Posts
I seem to have a similar issue with the door lock switch, which is similar and on the same panel. I use it with the delayed lock feature - I don't have to fish the key fob out of my pocket and I can close the doors and still have time to open the rear hatch before it locks.

I found that if I lightly roll my finger over the switch it usually works - punching it is guaranteed not to work. At 116,000 miles (everything is good and I hope / expect to get 250k), I'm not rushing out to replace it, since the workaround includes pushing down the driver door lock button to lock all doors, or using the fob.

I don't suppose you considered just living with the switch as it is. If you want to spend money for a toy, fine, and the more economical the better, but I almost never use the drive mode button on my 2011 (no hold mode). I have used mountain mode a few times going through the mountains in WV - it is marginal and not like going through the Rockies, but once I got the "reduced power" message for literally about one minute after driving it hard through the mountainous interstate.
Your money, your life, your choice. :)

For myself, I prefer to drive in Sport and Low, and decided that the better drive experience was worth the small EBay investment. (I was of very mixed minds when it was going to be several hundred through a dealer.)

·
Registered
972 Posts
So we've both worn out the similar switches in our own way, likely going past the number of cycles in the design specs (shame on you GM if that's the case). I lock the doors almost every drive cycle, and Walter apparently pushes the engine mode button every drive cycle.

·
8,680 Posts
So we've both worn out the similar switches in our own way, likely going past the number of cycles in the design specs (shame on you GM if that's the case). I lock the doors almost every drive cycle, and Walter apparently pushes the engine mode button every drive cycle.
Is your center console white, or grey?

Within the next week or so I expect to have a brand new white lock/unlock switch that I have no immediate use for...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Is your center console white, or grey?

Within the next week or so I expect to have a brand new white lock/unlock switch that I have no immediate use for...
Mine is gray. Thanks much anyway.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I've looked on ebay and only see two white panels for $200 each. I need a dark brown/black panel or just the switch as you show in the photo two post up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts