GM Volt Forum banner

What is the condition of your drive mode selector button?

• The lettering is now a white blob

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Button, what button?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a problem but more of a nuissance. The Volt is the only car I've ever owned where the lettering on the drive selector button has been rubbed out. I've owned several new BMWs and haven't had the need to change drive mode this often. This button is absolutely useful and changes the drive character of the vehicle so drastically. I wish they would make it more durable.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
My cruise control buttons are worn to a white blob. My drive mode button is pristine.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
All the nomenclature on all the buttons are like new, including the ones on the steering wheel spokes. However, the Drive Mode button actuation has failed. Dealing with it is still on my to-do list 8^)

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
650 Posts
Are you sure its gone. Can you post a picture?

Sometimes, I've had oil and dirt from fingers stick to buttons and obscure the lettering. (This happens easier on grey and black buttons.) A little 70% rubbing alcohol cleans all that up just like new.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
Solution: Brother P-Touch label maker with clear tape. :)

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
Reactions: microVOLT

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I also meant to say drive "mode" button wearing out but I mistyped and it won't let me edit.
If you see three vertical dots in the upper right of your post, you can click on them and then you will be offered the opportunity to edit your post.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Others have dealt with this not uncommon issue...
Search u-tube for a video, its an easy fix

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 2017 shows no signs of wear, but I expect that it will in time. Most GM products exhibit button wear and the Drive Mode button is probably the one I use most aside from steering wheel controls. (They are okay so far.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
All the nomenclature on all the buttons are like new, including the ones on the steering wheel spokes. However, the Drive Mode button actuation has failed. Dealing with it is still on my to-do list 8^)
I found out from a Chevrolet Dealership where they service the cars, that repairing the Drive mode button will cost around $1000 or more not including their labor costs and taxes. They have to remove the cover and check each button or just the button you say is not working. I'd like to get my 2012 Volt fixed as well that has a problem with the Drive Mode button not working so when the car is fully charged, I have a choice whether to drive on electric first (Normal Mode) or continue on Mountain Mode. Right now I can ONLY drive in Normal Mode, sometimes It'll work in cold weather. Good luck with getting yours fixed.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I found out from a Chevrolet Dealership where they service the cars, that repairing the Drive mode button will cost around $1000 or more not including their labor costs and taxes. They have to remove the cover and check each button or just the button you say is not working. I'd like to get my 2012 Volt fixed as well that has a problem with the Drive Mode button not working so when the car is fully charged, I have a choice whether to drive on electric first (Normal Mode) or continue on Mountain Mode. Right now I can ONLY drive in Normal Mode, sometimes It'll work in cold weather. Good luck with getting yours fixed.
Thanks to TYmrLutz I will be trying the fix shown in the video with the exception that I will first check the function of the switch after removal of the cap to insure that the electrical switch is functioning. Then, I will apply one, two or more layers of electricians tape, cut to the size of the white rod(?) to decrease the space with the cap. I will then replace the cap and check the functioning of the switch. Based on the results, I will move forward. I ain't payin' $1,000+ !!!

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
133 Posts
Shouldn't this be part of Voltec warranty? Although maybe a 2014 would be out of coverage by now.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
Shouldn't this be part of Voltec warranty? Although maybe a 2014 would be out of coverage by now.
No. Might be replaced under a B2B warranty, but not the Voltec warranty.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
A warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship. A drive mode button that wears out or becomes unreadable after lots of use is an issue of "wear and tear" (maybe don't use Sport Mode so much?). A drive mode button that doesn’t change the modes when you press it is a separate issue, but if you can correct it using the techniques shown in the video and the linked thread, that also, to me, seems to be an issue of wear and tear, and not an issue of a defective mode button switch circuit.

Note that post #9 above by TYmrLutz includes two links, one to a video and one to a forum thread.

The video shows an easy repair to a 2011/2012 Volt Mode button (the driver’s display has Normal, Sport, and Mountain Mode, but no Hold Mode choice) using contact cleaner spray.

If the issue is also that, as leppard3 posts in the linked thread, "I suspect things just get loose enough to not fully engage the actual button over time," then an additional step can be taken to place a tiny piece or two of electrical tape over the button that needs to be pressed before you snap the Mode button cover back onto the panel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Others have dealt with this not uncommon issue...
Search u-tube for a video, its an easy fix
Thank-you for the video on how to clean that up. I'm going to try that when I get my car back from repairs. I drive a 2012 Volt ( My dad paid full price and got the car in Oct. 2011. He was first person to buy 1 in Ontario and received many incentives and extra warranties including the plug to allow him to plug into a home outlet ). The car had to get a new 12-volt battery and charge port after 10 years of Ontario winters and driving over 160,000 km. The extreme cold here in Edmonton, AB had a hand in freezing the battery. The drive mode sometimes works in cold weather but not here in Edmonton, AB where it got -42. Thanks again for showing how to fix that and I'll let you know how mine turns out.
Ed O.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts