GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of going to the Drive In Theater but realized I don't have accessory mode. If I used the service mode could I use the radio for 2 movies (3 - 4 hours) like a regular car or would it drain the 12 volt battery?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Just make sure you have a reasonable amount of traction battery left and just turn the car on. Drive-In theaters don't want ICE engines running for both noise and emissions but the electric drive units don't have either of these issues.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yep, done it. Just leave the car on. Turn off the headlights with the auto-headlight control. You can even run AC if wanted. It's pretty quiet.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I did it a couple times last year, found that the Bolt has a 1-hr auto shutoff for inactivity, don't know if the Volt also does... so after it happened a couple times I would put it in drive and back into park every 45 minutes or so.

F

·
0 Posts
You still have drive in theatres? Haven't seen one of those open for over three decades. Fond memories. When the last one closed here they used it on week ends for fleamarkets but long gone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We used to have 4 in my area but one by one they closed down except for one. It just change over 2 years ago to digital format.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I did it a couple times last year, found that the Bolt has a 1-hr auto shutoff for inactivity, don't know if the Volt also does... so after it happened a couple times I would put it in drive and back into park every 45 minutes or so.
You can try the following to defeat auto-shutoff (works with Volt)
-> Engage parking brake and shift to neutral (use wheels chucks if you are on a slope)
-> Use a velcro strip or strong rubber band and keep the shift lever button depressed

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
The Gen2 Volt will shut down after 2.5 hours if you forget or intentionally shift to Park but do not turn off the car.

·
Registered
907 Posts
How much of the charge did you use up leaving it on the time you were there?
Don't remember now, but general guideline would be the car uses 0.5KW "idle", or 1.5KWH for 3 hrs. Maybe 6 miles.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Don't remember now, but general guideline would be the car uses 0.5KW "idle", or 1.5KWH for 3 hrs. Maybe 6 miles.
And if the drive-in is a long way away, Mountain Mode becomes "pre-Movie Mode", leaving you with enough power for a double feature. ;)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
If the power goes out you can always back the Volt up to the projection house and run the projector via a power inverter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You still have drive in theatres? Haven't seen one of those open for over three decades. Fond memories. When the last one closed here they used it on week ends for fleamarkets but long gone.
I think one drive-in theater per reasonably sized metro area is about right. It's fun as a once or twice a Summer thing but it's not as immersive as being in a regular theater. In our area, the only time of year it really works is in the Summer but the problem is that it doesn't get dark until well after 9:00 for a good chunk of it. You get 3 movies for $8.00 but by the time the last one is done it's 2:00 am or later.

The theater open at 7:00 pm and you need to be there at 7:00 or you won't get a decent spot, - or maybe not any spot. You can bring grills, soccer balls, frisbees, etc. cause it's going to be awhile before the movie starts. There's a couple of fairly large grassy areas.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I was thinking of going to the Drive In Theater but realized I don't have accessory mode. If I used the service mode could I use the radio for 2 movies (3 - 4 hours) like a regular car or would it drain the 12 volt battery?
Yes, it would drain the 12V battery and you would most likely be unable to start the car. It can also be difficult to jump start these cars in some cases, due to having to clear the trouble codes first, and opening the rear hatch to access the battery can be a problem when the battery is dead. It is not worth risking that.

F

·
0 Posts
Yes, it would drain the 12V battery and you would most likely be unable to start the car. It can also be difficult to jump start these cars in some cases, due to having to clear the trouble codes first, and opening the rear hatch to access the battery can be a problem when the battery is dead. It is not worth risking that.
Still not sure how this works. Does the radio only work on 12V battery? Does traction battery not feed the 12V battery when car is "on"? Back in the day (in the late 70's) the last drive in Theater in Calgary had the clips that clipped on your radio antennae so you could run the sound through your car's radio rather than the crummy stand speakers. Never had any problem starting the car after the double feature. Why would a Volt radio drain an AGM battery in that time?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
[video=youtube;-aJn4HD2FcE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aJn4HD2FcE[/url][/video]

It is amazing there are still a couple of these old-school Drive-Ins left!:cool:

Do they still show the retro intermission ads like those above!?:confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Yep, done it. Just leave the car on. Turn off the headlights with the auto-headlight control. You can even run AC if wanted. It's pretty quiet.
Ah, good point about the AC. That'll be nice when it's humid or buggy out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts