GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went looking for an oil pan leak and the good news is it wasn't the oil pan. Unfortunately it appears to be a transmission seal leak.

What to officially call this thing when calling the dealership for service appointment? Anyone got a diagram I could point to for the leak location?

Several drops occur in a couple of minutes after parking on the garage floor just below the point where the right axle enters the transmission. The seal area is wet on the trans that has only seen 5k miles. It occurs to not leak once parked for a bit so the assumption is it leaks when driven.

Exhaust pipe is just below/adjacent to the drip location.

If I monitor transmission fluid can I determine if it's a significant or minor leak? Pg 334 lists fluid to use.
Pg 242 & on gives info on maintaining engine oil levels and other fluids but the transmission seems not to be listed. There is a cap on the top of the transmission that appears to be a fill cap but there is no fluid visible in the transmission when peering down thru the removed cap area. see pg 243 item #7 electric drive unit fluid cap.

On pg 328 & 330 the electric drive fluid change intervals are called for but checks for the fluid level are not listed.
There has to be a recommended fluid level called out for in some Tech service bulletin?

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Get it back to the dealer, show him the leak location.

BTW your picture link fails.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Looks like an axle shaft seal. I believe there is an extension between the trans axle and the actual axle shaft but it is still just an axle seal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the axle shaft seal leaked excessively while driving would it lower fluid in the electric drive unit?
Since I can see gears and no fluid peering down thru the electric drive filler cap should I be concerned about driving this 30 mi to the dealer?
Is there a requirement for fluid levels for the electric drive unit posted anywhere that I could use to add fluid to get it to the dealer?

·
Registered
524 Posts
There's over 7 quarts of Dexron in the drive. If it was leaking even one quart while driving it would make quite a mess. It would be dripping from under the center of the car and have a strong smell of transmission fluid.
I called the Volt Adviser when I noticed the fill plug with no way to check the fluid. Adviser said there is another plug on the unit the service technician uses to check the proper level.
Seems like Chevy isn't very concerned about us checking the fluid level.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
From the picture it doesn't look like much of a leak. Hard to see that it's leaking at all, so it's difficult to imagine this would drop the level enough to matter. If you have any reservations about driving it to the dealer, call OnStar. If the level drops the car should quit before any damage is done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's over 7 quarts of Dexron in the drive. If it was leaking even one quart while driving it would make quite a mess. It would be dripping from under the center of the car and have a strong smell of transmission fluid.
I called the Volt Adviser when I noticed the fill plug with no way to check the fluid. Adviser said there is another plug on the unit the service technician uses to check the proper level.
Seems like Chevy isn't very concerned about us checking the fluid level.
Can you see any fluid when looking thru the fill cap opening on your 2017? Or only gears?

Thanks....Don

·
Registered
524 Posts
No pool of fluid can been seen through the fill cap. Only signs that the fluid splashes around in there. It is only used for filling, not checking.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The dealer certainly doesn't need any extra info.
Just take it in and tell them it's leaking red colored oil on your garage floor
They can connect the dots lol
WOT

PS> Most newer transaxle designs don't use a dipstick and are essentially "fill for life" (or 10 years which ever comes first lol)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No pool of fluid can been seen through the fill cap. Only signs that the fluid splashes around in there. It is only used for filling, not checking.
Thanks for checking if fluid levels can be seen from the the fill cap area; I'll drive the Volt to the dealer assuming seeing no fluid is normal.

I'm thinking the manual could have given added info if it throws out the type fluid to use but doesn't enlighten any further.

Based on WOT recommendation I'll go in just pointing to drops of red oil when first parked after a run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts