GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 volt with 103k miles. Anyone know what this repair will cost? I'm in the DC Metro area, if that makes a difference. TIA!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If you have a good relationship with your dealer explain to them that is a known issue and you would like it to covered as such. It can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You're out of luck/warranty. I had that whine at 45K, then went to the dealer and they replaced two wheel bearings. They billed GM for $382, just to give you an idea. Billing the customer directly for out of warranty items could be higher than that.

V

·
0 Posts
You're out of luck/warranty. I had that whine at 45K, then went to the dealer and they replaced two wheel bearings. They billed GM for $382, just to give you an idea. Billing the customer directly for out of warranty items could be higher than that.
I think OP is referring to the common generator-engine bearing failure, not the wheel bearings. And thats usually several thousand dollars.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Customer billing is always higher than warranty work :(

·
4,870 Posts
Please keep us posted on your out of pocket costs. A dealer familiar with the procedure and the problem will certainly help keep it low.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote for repair is $1,648. Not really sure I want to sink that much into a 7 year old car. I really love my volt. Officially, it's the Drive Motor Bearing that needs to be replaced.

F

·
0 Posts
Since I only buy a car I like and look after it (my sister keeps asking my how I do it, what my secret is) I keep my cars 20 to 30 years. 7 years sounds like a baby. Since it's going to be worth more than the cost to fix it and what you would get for it would be at least $1,648 less than it would be if it was fixed, it really isn't going to cost you anything at all, looking at the big picture.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Quote for repair is $1,648. Not really sure I want to sink that much into a 7 year old car. I really love my volt. Officially, it's the Drive Motor Bearing that needs to be replaced.
The way I look at it is, can you buy another car you like as much as your Volt for $1650? Can you buy another such car for $1650 plus your trade-in? Are you ready to buy a different car anyway? If the answer to none of those is "Yes, absolutely!", then get it fixed.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If you are going to get rid of it, you have to fix it first to get anything near it's true market value. As long as the car, if fixed, would sell for more than $1648, then it makes sense to fix it.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
719 Posts
That's three car payments. Thirty tanks of gas on an ICE car. Fix it ;-)

Also, isn't the Voltec warranty EIGHT years?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Read this post and then, a funny thing happened, hot day and all, and I heard a noise something like this coming from the front, that seemed to start and stop with the vehicle. It freaked me out. Later I had a chance to watch a video a guy recorded and posted in this forum with the problem. Then, later yet I had some time to look closer when the noise repeated and decided it was the AC cab fan that was making some noise, which started and stopped with the fan control. Sort of occurred to me that knowing too much about this could be bad too. Sometimes ignorance is bliss?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I called Chevy and asked for help. They discounted the repair to $425 out of pocket, so of course, I fixed the car. Never hurts to ask!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Dawn,

I recently had this issue arise with my 2012 Volt at 110k miles, and was successful in getting 50% assistance from Chevrolet at the warranty rate (approx. $400 out of pocket). Glad to hear you had the same success!

I will note that the noise from my car returned within a couple hundred miles, and the dealership then replaced the rotor assembly at no cost (though I was without the vehicle for an additional 4 weeks).

I have now driven the vehicle a few more hundred miles since the rotor assembly was replaced, and I have not noticed any unusual sounds - I'm hoping that's the end of it.

Moral of the story: keep your ears open for a while, and don't be shy about taking the car back if the first repair didn't take!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Getting over 100,000miles out of the vehicle AND only paying $425 for the bearing repair? I am happy for other members good fortunes.

I myself have not been so lucky. I live in northeast Ohio, and own a 2011 Chevy Volt. The car is used seasonally, has never been driven in snow or freezing temperatures, and has ONLY 29,000 MILES.

A few weeks ago I heard the dreaded buzzsaw whine. I immediately took the vehicle to a Chevy dealer where I had to pay $219 for the "diagnostic" (to tell me, what I already had told them), obviously I was told it was the bearing. I was also told it was not covered by the Voltec warranty, and would be $1400 for the repair.

GM has offered to do nothing. GM customer care through their "Social Media Group" has proven to be absolutely useless. They were emailed the relevant facts of the case (e.g. problem, mileage), yet they proceeded to get those important facts wrong (referring to the bearing problem as "a noise" and recording the mileage as 38,000. They then go on to state:

"After evaluating the situation thoroughly, it was determined that no cost assistance would be available as your vehicle is outside of all applicable warranties by both time and mileage.

"Thoroughly? Time AND mileage? Really? Then in the same email they invite me to take a customer service satisfaction survey (yeah, right), and now I AM ACTUALLY GETTING SPAM EMAILS FROM THIS THIRD PARTY COMPANY!
So lets recap:

1. MAJOR failure on a pampered car with less then 30,000 miles
2. HORRIBLE customer service
3. GM doing NOTHING

The car is sitting at the dealership to this day. Anyone interested on a low mileage Chevy Volt, may consider this vehicle for sale.
To paraphrase Brian from "Family Guy": Who's leg do I have to hump to get decent service?

Yes Dawnm, and Gazelle330, you are lucky indeed.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I am confused. Isn't this covered under the 8 yr / 100k mile voltec warranty?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts