GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Drawtite hitch today- after reading a few of the install threads here and watching the etrailer video on Youtube.(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulg3qaTC55E)

One major difference saved me a bunch of time. Instead of pulling the rear bottom panel I left in place and trimmed it with a pair of sheet metal cutters. The material is thin enough that heavy duty scissors will probably work. Doing it this way I didn't have to jack the car up. Everything was done on my garage floor. Drawtite Part #24947 and the Tekonsha harness #85938

Here's how it looks after you pull the tail lights and rear fascia:

I mounted the Tekonsha black box on the stud sticking out from under this device. (???) I also scratched the paint off the stud and hooked the white ground wire up on the opposite side:

The Tekonsha harness is a plug-through style- the pigtails fit perfectly and the wiring looks like this:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next was getting the Tekonsha black box power wire run to the battery.

I decided to run it into the small fuse panel above the battery box as i found a spare 12v source using my multimeter. This meant drilling a small hole on the underside of the rear pan behind the battery and using a grommet to pass the wire through safely:

(The yellow wire is the fuse holder included in the Tekonsha kit. The quality of the parts and wire is very good.)

I then used a healthy amount of black RTV to seal up the grommet and wire:

As you can see here instead of strapping the exhaust up as the etrailer video suggests I put a small floorjack under the muffler.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to put the hitch up and trace out the area of the bottom panel that needed to be cut out:

Then it is just a matter of reassembling and torquing the bolts to spec.

Putting the bumper cover back on. Don't forget to plug it back into the big connector!! (As I did not and had to go back in to get right. Doh. )

All finished! I was able to push the trailer wiring up into the lower panel and use the plug cover to attach itself to the safety chain loop. After a test drive this afternoon it has not moved or come undone. I will be keeping an eye on it for bit.

Hopefully this helps someone else realize this isn't a bad DIY job. No need to lift or jack up the car to remove the entire lower panel. Just trim it and go!

·
Registered
502 Posts
What a great post and masterful job. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I just want to comment that looks to me like a Gen 2 Volt. This is currently posted in the Gen 1 sub forum. Just in case that might confuse anyone.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just want to comment that looks to me like a Gen 2 Volt. This is currently posted in the Gen 1 sub forum. Just in case that might confuse anyone.
I intended it to go under the Gen2 subforum. Not sure if it can be moved or if I should delete and start over. ?? Apologies

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I intended it to go under the Gen2 subforum. Not sure if it can be moved or if I should delete and start over. ?? Apologies
I would not delete it. The install is probably very similar in either case. Just some of the details in the pictures will be different (?). A moderator can move it if appropriate.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nice work! I did this to mine this past summer/fall. I like how this wiring harness works compared to mine (Curt brand). With mine I had to take all the interior plastic out so that I could get to the wiring for the tail lamps. Of course I broke some of the plastic tabs and stuff. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the post! I sweared off trunk mount bike racks after I had one dent the trunk of a leased 2014 Civic. This would make a perfect bike rack receiver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts