GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,

I have a 2017 volt and love the car. I have a 50km drive to work and 50km back home . so total is 100 approx. Sometimes when i charge the car to full i get a ev range of 95 km .Anyways, I dont know if safe to always completely drain the battery and let gas kick in or Keep some juice in reserve mode and switch to gas until I get to work or home for full recharge.
Any suggestions or recommendations

·
Registered
907 Posts
It's perfectly safe to use all the battery that it lets you. You only use 14.4KW of the 18.4KW capacity, so it never actually drains completely.

Now, do I do that myself? No. If I know I'm going to exceed the battery only range, I'll go to hold mode, just long enough so that I can run the last 1-2 miles on battery only, to let the ICE cool down. But you certainly don't have to do that.

·
Administrator
21,124 Posts
Our 2011 battery was drained completely and fully recharged 5 days a week for 7 years. No issues. Now with a shorter commute it is never completely emptied.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not using the full capacity at least occasionally can cause issues with the car's capacity calculation.

Basically, it needs to see the battery go from "full" to "empty" in order to know how much capacity there is to work with. If you don't do that for a long time, it plays things conservative and you end up with less usable range. It's not permanent, but takes a few full charge/discharge cycles to correct.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think 'Sparkie' has been completely draining the battery twice each day for about 4 years now (185,000 EV miles) with no sign of it harming the pack

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts