GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm seeing in the news a Heroin "Epidemic" is becoming a problem.

I, will offer, free of charge my skills in Common Sense and Logic free of charge for the greater good. No need for a medal, just a thank you is all.

Abolish the idea that this is a Disease. Knowingly shooting $hit in your arm you bought off some guy is not a disease...It is a choice that the user made for themselves. Calling it a disease simply enables bad choices by taking the blame the choice and transfers it to just bad luck.

There you go. FREE! No Charge. You're welcome!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Reducing serious and complex issues to something that fits on the front of a cap is a problem. Calling that common sense and logic is worse.

No charge, but don't come back looking for another freebie. I'm out.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reducing serious and complex issues to something that fits on the front of a cap is a problem. Calling that common sense and logic is worse.

No charge, but don't come back looking for another freebie. I'm out.
Its only complex because people choose to make it complex. One could make sticking a fork in a outlet a complex idea, but its not.

Don't start taking, and theres no addiction. Theres a reason I will never be addicted.... I might get cancer, Diabetes, MS, Any disease, but NEVER a drug addiction.

See how easy that is.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You rock.

Now make sure you don't get an incredibly painful injury (herniated disk pressing on a nerve, say) and be prescribed opiate-based pain meds until your surgery can be scheduled.

There are more paths onto the horse than simple choice.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Sid Vicious, Kurt Cobain, River Pheonix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, John Belushi, Phillip Hoffman, Mitch Hedburg, Layne Staley and other people listed here all had back pain?

No, it was to get high.... Choice. I'd be curious how many deaths started from recreational use.... I bet it would be enough to blow the "Back pain" addictions out of the water.

http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-people-who-died-of-heroin-overdose/reference

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
So Sid Vicious, Kurt Cobain, River Pheonix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, John Belushi, Phillip Hoffman, Mitch Hedburg, Layne Staley and other people listed here all had back pain?

No, it was to get high.... Choice. I'd be curious how many deaths started from recreational use.... I bet it would be enough to blow the "Back pain" addictions out of the water.

http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-people-who-died-of-heroin-overdose/reference
I have read that the vast majority of addicts started using before the age of 18 and those who use drugs earlier in life are more likely to be addicted. (Partly self-selection I assume.)

People do dumb stuff, especially when they're dumb, young or dumb and young. The question is do we shrug and let them get on with it, or do we want to help them stop doing the dumb stuff?

The word disease often makes people think of illnesses where there's a parasite, virus or bacterium involved. But a disease is just any disorder of structure or function. Addiction involves irrational and obsessive behavior and "wrong thinking" that suggests a disorder of function of the brain. It can be considered a form of mental illness. Maybe calling it an illness would be a word less likely to provoke a strong negative reaction.

Perhaps if mental illness weren't also stigmatized people would refer to addiction just as a mental illness. But I think the use of disease is a way to encourage addicts to accept their addiction, believe that there's a cure and to seek outside help.

Kurt Cobain suffered from depression and had long been on medication. Mental illness is a common path to drug addiction.

I don't

·
Registered
438 Posts
disease
noun
illness, sickness, ill health; infection, ailment, malady, disorder, complaint, affliction, condition, indisposition, upset, problem, trouble, infirmity, disability, defect, abnormality; pestilence, plague, cancer, canker, blight; informal bug, virus; dated contagion.

Thank you elemental for our new definition of disease, i guess the old one required comprehension of the english language, damn you old definition, why must you be so inclusive.

Ah to be in the age of trump where reason, thought, doctors, scientist and linguist are now irrelevant, for now we have the sages from missouri and new york telling us what is real, ah and how we should think. So I shall bow to their lack of luminosity and genuflect to their all knowing Bu.....t

·
Registered
253 Posts
Still waiting for your "solution".

Getting rid of "the idea that this is a disease" doesn't get rid of addiction.

You deciding not to take drugs doesn't get rid of addiction.

Lots of people have made bad decisions in the past and likely will continue to make bad decisions in the future until there are no more people. (Happy thought of the week, Free of charge)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Yet another great argument for getting rid of the "Totally Off-Topic" forum, or at least keeping those threads off the home page.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with some people? For Christ's sake, get a freaking Twitter account if you want to dump your inane thoughts onto the Internet! That way the only people who have to see your ramblings are those who actually want to.

Or go to Reddit. Or literally anywhere else.

This is a site about the Chevrolet Volt. FFS.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The view that undesirable behavior is a character flaw is applied to many things. I remember listening to Newt Gingrich talk about the character failures which lead to pre-marital sex and laughing at how someone who didn't seem to have the self control to put the fork down could make such pronouncements.

What seems highly likely is that we will continue to move from a character flaw/criminal approach to a disease based approach to addiction. This BTW is due to the fact that while it was easy to adopt the character flaw approach when the addicts were urban African Americans, now that the addicts are rural whites a new approach is obviously needed.

No doubt the disease approach is more practical. It appears more effective and, even if it's not, it's a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Drug adition is voluntary, just like for most overweight persons (there are some thyroid related exceptions). The affected just doesn't stop taking in the harmful stuff! The overweight are addicted to food and drink. Just close your mouth and drink plain water when the urge happens. That is it!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
No doubt the disease approach is more practical. It appears more effective and, even if it's not, it's a lot less expensive.
No, it isn't! If every bad health problem is classified as a "disease", then you can add alcohol and tobacco addition, too. Next will be serial killers and anyone who behaves badly, such as "road rage". Take away the cause of the problem and the "disease" will go away.

·
Registered
438 Posts
No, it isn't! If every bad health problem is classified as a "disease", then you can add alcohol and tobacco addition, too. Next will be serial killers and anyone who behaves badly, such as "road rage". Take away the cause of the problem and the "disease" will go away.
http://www.asam.org/quality-practice/definition-of-addiction

Public Policy Statement: Definition of Addiction
Short Definition of Addiction:
Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.
Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

I agree with another poster why are we discussing this topic on a gm volt website. And for those who are interested in the question before you devote so much energy on public policy, please, please research the topic before coming to ill conceived conclusions. And as you delve into the subject you will see there are many complicated sides to the issue and many ways to confront drug addiction, and this forum is ill equipped to navigate them. One one other editorial note, Just say no was the saying of the day at the height of the crack epidemic, how did that work out.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Ever hear of a "crack baby" (newborn suffering from withdrawals due to no longer being in their addict mother's womb)? Google it along with the treatment, fascinating stuff that will end this whole pointless discussion...

·
Registered
253 Posts
"Just say 'No' " works great if you want to feel morally superior!

The problem is, once people start feeling morally superior, they become addicted to the feeling.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Drug adition is voluntary, just like for most overweight persons (there are some thyroid related exceptions). The affected just doesn't stop taking in the harmful stuff! The overweight are addicted to food and drink.
Turns out that it's vastly more complicated than that. For example, it is now accepted that people today eat as much and exercise as much as those 30 years ago, but weigh more. In truth no one will voluntarily starve themselves. If you're hungry you'll eat.

No, it isn't! If every bad health problem is classified as a "disease", then you can add alcohol and tobacco addition, too.
You don't know those are considered to be diseases? (I'm genuinely surprised at this). We now know that for some people alcohol lights up all the pleasure sensors in the brain. For others it has little effect. Not surprisingly, people in the former group are vastly more likely to have problems with alcohol. In Europe the treatment, which is effective, is a drug that blocks those effects. Rather than feeling morally superior, those of us in the latter group should be empathetic and feel lucky.

The problem is, once people start feeling morally superior, they become addicted to the feeling.
Ha ha. Well played!

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I'm addicted to this forum. I stopped for the early part of 2016, then came right back. Elemental actually broke himself of the habit until I drew him back in (like a drug dealer gives out a few freebies to keep business flowing). But I think most of us are here to be entertained, this certainly is entertaining.

So for me to break this addiction of exceeding 9K posts, I just need to stop....are there any 12 step programs for that?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
A Chinese friend of mine used to tutor me on Chinese history, he said the way the Chinese stopped the opium problem was "they killed all the addicts".

Not advocating that solution btw.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
"And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs,
using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good
because we know what happens to people in societies and
neighborhoods which become consumed by them. And so if
people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought
to be accused and they ought to be convicted and
they ought to be sent up."

"When you strip it all away, Jerry Garcia
(former Grateful Dead guitarist) destroyed his life on
drugs. And yet he's being honored, like some godlike
figure. Our priorities are out of whack, folks."
-Rush Limbaugh

Fast forward a bit:
Prosecutors began investigating Limbaugh in 2003 after the National Enquirer reported his housekeeper's allegations that he had abused OxyContin and other painkillers. He soon took a five-week leave from his radio show to enter a rehabilitation program and acknowledged he had become an opiod addict.

So maybe that DOES prove the point that drug addicts like Rush Limbaugh are simply weak-willed, morally unfit people who should be put away for life or executed? Lacking that, perhaps he should now be deported to Ireland.

P.S. Despite saying, "And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up," Limbaugh was arrested on only a single charge of prescription fraud. His record was later expunged based on having enough money to hire really expensive lawyers.

Drug addict, see Rush Limbaugh.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
A Chinese friend of mine used to tutor me on Chinese history, he said the way the Chinese stopped the opium problem was "they killed all the addicts".

Not advocating that solution btw.
Shhh, don't give the current administration any ideas.

True story, there was a Chinese family in the town where I live who ran a fairly successful restaurant. They decided to expand, moving to a larger location and making a huge all you can eat buffet. Then suddenly the cook and the nephew had to go back to China, we're guessing because they were behind in opening the restaurant and were behind on making good on their loans from the Chinese government. The restaurant fell apart as they never returned - they were killed, leaving the nephew's wife and two young children with no means to support themselves. They moved away and we lost touch with them. This is what happens when you have a totalitarian government who can just make the rules without checks and balances.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts