GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got one of these as a cheaper alternative for a spare or home charger?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22692

They can be bought pretty cheaply (apparently less than $200) direct from China, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. Like the oem 16-17 Volt chargers, they are dual voltage capable, but can be ordered with either 110 or 220 plugs. I have a Clipper Creek as my main 120 charger, and will use the oem as my 220, but wondering if this would be a cheaper option for a backup in the trunk if anyone has had success with it. Thanks

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Seriously? Buying something from China (our economic enemy) that probably isn't UL listed, to save a few hundred dollars after all the news about cheap chargers for cellphones that can cause a fire, and risk frying a $30-40K car and burning your house down? Ok it may not be that bad, but if it breaks, good luck trying to get it repaired or replaced under warranty.

For me the decision is easy, spend a couple more franklins on a "buy American" ClipperCreek and remove all this risk.if you can't afford an extra $200, then you shouldn't have gotten a new volt

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did buy Clipper Creek for main charger, this is for a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
I did buy Clipper Creek for main charger, this is for a backup.

And what I'm saying is buy a clipper creek for your backup. Alas, I'd wait until the first clipper creek dies outside the warranty period unless by backup you mean having one in your car in addition to keeping one plugged in at the house.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes this would just take the place of the one in the trunk and would be used only for backup and on the road charging. The oem in the trunk will become the 220 home charger. (We have 2 volts). The Clipper Creek will remain as the 120 charger at home.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Yes this would just take the place of the one in the trunk and would be used only for backup and on the road charging. The oem in the trunk will become the 220 home charger. (We have 2 volts). The Clipper Creek will remain as the 120 charger at home.

Wouldn't it be more convenient to have two level 2 chargers at home for the volt pair and a 120 in the trunk? Alas, then comes the question, which volt gets the extra 120? Maybe you need two 120's. I'd feel better buying a used Nissan or Chevy charger off of someone who upgraded to level 2 rather than risk this unknown Chinese brand.

I do carry my 120 in the trunk but use it more from my front porch when projects in the garage requires me to block the level 2. I've rarely found an opportunity to actually plug in at another location long enough to make it worthwhile to use the 120 on the road. My luck at charging at hotels has not been very high.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well we already do have two 220s with the two OEMs, I suppose, but we probably really only need one 220 available at a given time, because most of the time our batteries are down less than half and overnight 120 is fine. I suppose we could take the two OEMs and just use those and use the existing Clipper Creek as one of the backups. We don't have a garage and do charge outside at home in the driveway from an external outlet (and are now having a 220 outlet put in on the side of the house too) and what worries me a little bit about the OEMs for this use is there's no easy way to lock them up outside. The clipper creek does have a hole in the housing in which you can stick a thin padlock and that's part of the reason I'm considering just keeping that one for use outside.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If that bamboo evse really does 16A, I'd use it as the primary home charger. It will give you the full 3700w charging rather than be limited to 2400w like the 240v adapted oem trunk unit.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do take that point seriously though. I only buy American brand cars and US made items whenever possible. The price of this and flexibility it would offer is pretty amazing if it works. Leaf owners have had good success with it.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Considering these things are little more than extension cords with some minor added electronics, I'd say this is finally a sane price for what it is.

One drawback to this model is that it appears to have no way to wall mount it. I think that is helpful vs having to hang it by the cord. I guess you could fabricate a mounting solution.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I can't figure out an easy idea to mount the oem one either. I really am trying to figure out a way to lock these down without running over the cords or locking in hatch. I'll try with this one to see if the hatch would close with it in the hatch.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The oem one has screw head key holes on the back for mounting, but it is not secure. You can just lift it off. For a permanent placement, I would pad lock a security cable to the charge cord.

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Duosida unit is supposed to arrive soon. I'll let the forum know how it works out. I just got 220 lines installed for our two volts and the Chris TX's oem charger adapter is working great with the standard volt charger.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I bought the 220 version of this from BSA-electronics a couple months ago. It's been quite reliable for me. Supposedly just a plug adapter is all that's needed to change between 120 and 220 charging. I would have gone with a more permanent EVSE but I live in an apartment and have to connect it inside and run the cord from my front door to my car and wanted something that could be taken and used for travel when not at home. Since my OEM unit has failed, this serves my purpose best.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If this unit works adequately, it might be a good evse that I could install at my mother's house. A good j1772 extension is $200 so why not a proper evse mounted to the wall.

·
Registered
926 Posts
For cheap mobile devices or heck, even a $1500 TV, I can risk those going with a lesser known brand power adapter, strip, surge protector, or UPS. For a $30k car? HELL NO. I'm going brand name, US-based brand so if **** hits the fan, I can go demand satisfaction. The $200 I saved going no name is nothing compared to a potential $30k car going on the fritz.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I understand the concern, but so far the Duosida units are working great on 240. I have them wired with regular 3 prong ends (so they can run 120 also) and connected via Chris TX' adapter to 240, and they and the adapters are functioning perfectly. Charges noticeably faster than the oems. The oems draw 12 amps, these are rated for 16.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts