GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened to me several times, now, and I can't explain it.

I pull into my garage at night, lock the doors using the button on the outside handle, then plug in the charge cable.

Then, when I come outside in the morning, the doors are unlocked.

Has this ever happened to anyone? It doesn't always occur, but I've noticed it several times now.

My locks aren't set to auto-unlock (or whatever it's called), so I'm not sure what's happening here.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
This has happened to me several times, now, and I can't explain it.

I pull into my garage at night, lock the doors using the button on the outside handle, then plug in the charge cable.

Then, when I come outside in the morning, the doors are unlocked.

Has this ever happened to anyone? It doesn't always occur, but I've noticed it several times now.

My locks aren't set to auto-unlock (or whatever it's called), so I'm not sure what's happening here.

Thoughts?
What do you do with the fob when you go into the house? It's easy to pocket push a button. It normally happens when it is raining and the windows go down.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
I've also had this interesting scenario. I was at the airport, put my keys in my laptop bag to get through security. Upon returni I walked up the the volt, opened the hatch, put my bag with keys into the hatch, closed the hatch, had that "oh SH*T" moment that I just locked myself out as I was about to press the silver button, but the door was already unlocked for menu the volt, so my button press locked the doors. Another press unlocked them and I was good to go.

I've accidentally unlocked and/or opened my windows before. That stopped happening when I disconnected my ring of keys from th4 volt key so the wad doesn't double back on itself to hit one of the fob buttons while in my pocket. I now carry the fob in one pocket separate from my house/office keys. I did the same thing with the CTS keys as it had the infamous swinging keychain recall that afflicted GM that year Mary Barra took office as CEO. Hopefully, someday we'll just use retina eye scanners to operate our vehicles. Crazy enough, I have to use a retina eye scanner to into work.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Can't say that I've experienced this and frankly, I'm pretty surprised by the accidental button pushing. I wear jeans 100% of the time and put the key fob in the small coin pocket of my jeans with the buttons facing into my leg. This way the fob isn't loose in my pocket (very noticeable) and my thighs don't push any buttons.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Can't say that I've experienced this and frankly, I'm pretty surprised by the accidental button pushing. I wear jeans 100% of the time and put the key fob in the small coin pocket of my jeans with the buttons facing into my leg. This way the fob isn't loose in my pocket (very noticeable) and my thighs don't push any buttons.
I have two small keys attached to my fob, and I occasionally accidentally lock the car just by sitting down. My jeans aren't tight either. I'm guessing the keys get on edge with the fob, and even a slight tightening of the pocket is enough for the key to trigger the lock button.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I need to elaborate, the point of me keeping the fob in my coin pocket is it's kept immobile and the buttons are protected by my leg. I only have a single house key on my fob and I use a 1.25" key loop with the fob to that the house key can fold flat against the back of the fob where the Chevy logo is. This way, the house key always stays on the non-button side of the fob when in my coin pocket.

Added plus, I don't make jangling sounds or feel the fob bouncing about against my leg.

I wear baggy jeans and still have pocket change changeling around the rare time I use a vending machine. If you have a coin pocket and it's just the right size for only the fob and a key or two, I'd give it a shot and see how it feels. I picked it up from a coworker who hated having his Gerber Dime Multi tool (cheap competitor to Leatherman Micra) flop about in his pocket. He does the same thing: folds keys against the multitool and slide into the jeans' coin pocket.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have the opposite issue...I can't seem to turn off the delayed auto lock feature no matter what I do in the settings. It's clearly a buggy system and the door lock/remote/passive menus are ridiculously redundant and confusing.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Check your physical unlock button in the car.
On my gen1 the unlock button was sticky and would get stuck pushed in (and the depth wasn't that much, so hard to notice if not paying attention).
While the car would lock when I was there, any sort of movement or vibration (or ??? no idea what triggered it) would result in it unlocking while I was away.
It also caused a chiming sound whenever I turned off the car and went to leave, signalling the delayed lock system was active (though it took a while to figure out that one)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts