GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, long time lurker (2009) first time posting. I have a 2013 Volt, just hit 8k miles. I was out for dinner the other night and had my passenger rear window broken by a vandal. I opened the door and cleaned the broken glass out right then and there. The next day I took it to the glass repair shop, and they call me and tell me they can't get the door open. Sure enough, I get there and I can't open it either. I take it to the dealer and they say the glass somehow broke the internal actuator and it will cost $200 just to get the door open. Then another $300 to repair the door and another $200 for the glass. Isn't this a SAFETY ISSUE? If I was in an accident and the window breaks its acceptable that the door isn't able to be opened? This seems like a bad design at the very least. :mad:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Isn't this a SAFETY ISSUE? If I was in an accident and the window breaks its acceptable that the door isn't able to be opened? This seems like a bad design at the very least. :mad:
OMG, it's so scary, like there aren't THREE OTHER DOORS that one could escape through!!!11!

If you were in an accident, there's more than one way out of the car, including some that involve pry bars and power tools. It's no more of a "safety" issue than VWs which would have window regulators break spontaneously or door actuators pop off from the handles. Not every accident or window breakage is going to be exactly alike, and there's no proof so far that the glass is the cause of the problem, just a claim, since they haven't seen inside the door yet.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,418 Posts
Since nobody really knows what happened, I'm gonna guess that a thief tried to use something like a slim-Jim and he jacked up the door mechanism instead of opening the door. It also broke the window.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Since nobody really knows what happened, I'm gonna guess that a thief tried to use something like a slim-Jim and he jacked up the door mechanism instead of opening the door. It also broke the window.
The far more likely scenario... I bet they find that someone tried to "jimmy" the door open and didn't know what they are doing. Too bad the HV Pack wasn't hooked up to the door mechanism... I hear fried burglar is good this time of year.

Since you a 2013, don't you have insurance? Not that the cost isn't a concern and it is.

I went to a $0 deductible for comprehensive claims. Especially when State Farm went to not covering all glass with a zero deductible if you had comp. coverage... I learned through a break in as well about that. Luckily I had a $250 deductible and since there was other than glass damage it really didn't matter for that event.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The door opened right after the window was broken so this makes me think the glass was the culprit. I've also spoken to an additional dealer that encountered this same problem with another volt. That dealer said they had to break the actuator from the outside with a thin "slim jim-like" tool to get the door open. My dealer said they couldn't get to the lock from the outside, and had to take the door panel out and get to it from the inside.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem. It's amazing how big a problem one yahoo can create.

Since you could use your door after the event -- I'm assuming a couple of times -- you're probably right about the glass. That said, it doesn't seem to be a safety issue. Good luck and keep us posted about the resolution.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The door opened right after the window was broken so this makes me think the glass was the culprit. I've also spoken to an additional dealer that encountered this same problem with another volt. That dealer said they had to break the actuator from the outside with a thin "slim jim-like" tool to get the door open. My dealer said they couldn't get to the lock from the outside, and had to take the door panel out and get to it from the inside.
Or when you opened it, you caused it to jam...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So apparently before the person smashed my window they tried to open the door with a slim jim device. Either the slim jim or the broken glass eventually broke the actuator. Moral of the story....don't leave your backpack in your backseat in Oakland. $705 later i have my wonderful car back. Thanks anyways guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts