GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Volt Jan 2011. It now has about 4,000 miles on it and I love everything about it, but........
I'm 6'2" and every time I get into the drivers seat I rub against the rubber molding around the door frame.
It has worn to a frazzle already. The dealer will replace it today, but I don't know why it wouldn't happen again.
I discovered a kind of interim fix, but I think Chevy should do something a little more elegant. I ran a piece of black duct tape about 12" long up the gasket where it was rubbing. It doesn't really show and seems to alleviate the problem. Is anyone else having this problem?

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
I am the same height, no issue. Perhaps it is a width issue rather than height? I only come in contact with that gasket when I am washing the car.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm also 6' 2" and haven't had a problem just under 4000 miles - no sign of wear (except for my grin from driving the Volt).

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm a 6' wide body and I do see some wear on the door seal. Interestingly enough I also see a worn spot on the lower left of the steering wheel.

I think the door seal wear is a result of "dropping into" a seat that is in the full rear position and rubbing your left hip and thigh on the door seal. I also contact the door seal on exit as I lift my fat a$$ out of the car. I know this because I keep the "key" in my left pocket and many time the key gets trapped between the door seal and my thigh causing one of the buttons to be pressed resulting in the beeping and honking at me to let me know I've done something wrong.

The wear mark on the steering wheel is from rolling my right thigh under the wheel as I get into the driving position. I keep trying other ways of entering the car, but my artificial knees keep telling me not to try that again. Getting old can be a pain in the .....

VIN # 0985

1 - 4 of 4 Posts