GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just had to bring in my '17 Premier for service as the passenger side front power lock stopped working. The diagnosis was the actuator shorted out and it was replaced under the B2B warranty.

I picked up the car today and when driving home, I could swear I heard increased wind noise from that side of the car. It might be in my head but in a car this quiet, you tend to notice sounds a little more.

So - my question is: is it possible that there was some piece of sound deadening material behind the door panel that the service center removed when replacing the actuator and maybe did not put back? I don't think I will take any action on it but I just wanted to get some thoughts and opinions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
871 Posts
You should call the dealer and ask about it. The Volt is really well insulated, both against outside noise and against weather. If you're hearing wind noise, there might be a missing seal, which will reduce the efficiency of your heating/AC.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm not sure on the Volt, but on older cars they used a piece of heavy plastic between the inner door panel and the metal portion of the door to reduce air flow into the cabin. It may be possible that the dealership either didn't reattach it properly, or removed it and failed to reattach it all together. I haven't had any of the door panels off on my '13 to see if they still use such a method of reducing airflow but I would imagine they still use something similar since it's not only cheap, but very effective.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
The actuator is usually part of the door latch, so when they replaced it, they may have altered the adjustment. Have them check it.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Stealers do crappy work all the time. They try to make the intake and pickup experience so nice, but in the end all you really want is for the car to be repaired professionally and completely.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Maybe they disturbed the rubber gasket that seals the door to the door frame when they took the door apart or put it back together. That could cause wind noise.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Carefully compare the passenger side seals and rubber and alignment with the driver's side before you call the dealer just in case it is something quite obvious...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Maybe they disturbed the rubber gasket that seals the door to the door frame when they took the door apart or put it back together. That could cause wind noise.
Whenever you mess with trim, it always takes patience and attention to detail to get it back together right. Unfortunately these are traits the stealer's mechanics rarely exhibit.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Pulling apart ANY factory assembly and reinstalling it at a dealer is always an iffy proposition. As good as dealers can be they can never replicate the factory build. Good luck in hunting this down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts