GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
The "don't use the engine too much" comment is likely the most stupid thing I've heard from the other side of the service counter.
He’s about to be on the same side of the OP jumps over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
just picked the car up. recall fix seems to have fixed the "service high voltage system" issue without any other warranty work, as i suspected it might. car is sitting in the garage right now charging.

also amusing, after i called back yesterday and sent an e-mail specifically directing them to do only the recall and no other work (specifically writing in the email to do nothing that might incur a charge), they also decided to do an oil change. when i got there and the cashier tried to ring me up for $60 for the oil change, i asked why i was being charged for something i specifically advised them not to do. service manager got involved and to his credit, waived the charges after i showed him the e-mail that specifically told them not to do anything that might incur a charge.

when i write my facebook and yelp and wherever else reviews, i will give him credit for that. doesn't mean i'll ever take my car back there, though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Paradise in Temecula changed their name to TVB-GM. I haven't used them personally, though I've been there plenty delivering engines and transmissions and picking up their cores.
I've been seeing a rash of 2nd and 1st Gen Volts in our neighborhood.
Good to see, as you know our air quality isn't the best.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
i'm seeing a ton of model 3s and model Ys as well. next street down from me has three model 3s within a span of about 4 or 5 houses. good to see EVs finally starting to get some traction.

·
Registered
147 Posts
As others have said, the diagnostic fee that will be applied to the repair is a standard among dealerships and many small garages as well. It's to deter people from bringing in their problems looking for a free inspection - why would you assume it's free? Chevy doesn't own the dealership - the dealership is a private business, why should they be expected to do work for you for free?

As far as the "don't use the engine..." claim, that's obviously nonsense. I've been on the ICE 100% since early March when I started having to work from home (I only charged at work). I've also talked to one guy who bought a former fleet Volt that was never once ever charged and it had 38k miles on it at that time. The company bought it for the rebates and tax breaks, then ran it like a normal gas car. He bought it and it's been 100% problem free for over 5 years now. At the time I talked to him he had bout 150k miles on it and he's never had a single warning light.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
As others have said, the diagnostic fee that will be applied to the repair is a standard among dealerships and many small garages as well. It's to deter people from bringing in their problems looking for a free inspection - why would you assume it's free? Chevy doesn't own the dealership - the dealership is a private business, why should they be expected to do work for you for free?
i haven't seen anyone say that. and i wasn't looking for a free inspection, i was looking for something that should be covered under warranty to be fixed under warranty. i'm still well within the voltec warranty, anything that is causing the "service high voltage system" message to come up should be covered...including "a pebble through the radiator," since i've never had that happen and multiple people have said it's supposed to be covered the first time.

can you tell me a single thing that could be causing issues that throws up the "service high voltage system" warning that shouldn't be fixed under the 10/150 voltec warranty? i cannot. i'm legit curious if i'm missing something, since the common theme here seems to be that it should have been covered...you're the first one who seems to think the diagnostic fee wasn't also BS.

i'm not asking to be an a**hole about it either, so i apologize if my tone comes off that way...i'm legit curious. what am i missing?

·
Registered
147 Posts
i haven't seen anyone say that. and i wasn't looking for a free inspection, i was looking for something that should be covered under warranty to be fixed under warranty...
I wasn't referring to you with my comment. I was referring to people on other forums that expect to be able to take their vehicle in, get a free diagnosis, then go home and fix it themselves.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I wasn't referring to you with my comment. I was referring to people on other forums that expect to be able to take their vehicle in, get a free diagnosis, then go home and fix it themselves.
fair enough. my bad.

as for the engine comment, my wife and i both looked at each other while he was going off about this as if to say to each other "AYFKM?" i drove the car back and forth from PA to NC and back once a week for a whole summer (charged while i was at each endpoint, but obviously on gas the entirety of the trip other than that), and also drove from PA to CA i would say probably 99% on gas.

the thing that struck me so much about it was the fact that i was there primarily for a voltec related warranty repair. why on earth would the first thing you do be to pop the hood and go on some ridiculous schpiel about the engine blowing up when the primary reason the customer is there has nothing to do with the engine?

·
Registered
142 Posts

As far as the "don't use the engine..." claim, that's obviously nonsense. I've been on the ICE 100% since early March when I started having to work from home (I only charged at work). I've also talked to one guy who bought a former fleet Volt that was never once ever charged and it had 38k miles on it at that time. The company bought it for the rebates and tax breaks, then ran it like a normal gas car. He bought it and it's been 100% problem free for over 5 years now. At the time I talked to him he had bout 150k miles on it and he's never had a single warning light.
The dealer should have a process of addressing a g— d—- recall and warranty work without resulting in any balance due to a customer. I know dealerships hate warranty work but if you have so much of a problem with it, don’t open a f—-ing dealership! Dealer should have their franchise agreements revoked. This is exactly why manufacturers shouldn’t be able to sit so detached from their product and sales channels.

All dealerships should be corporate stores. This whole privately owned mess is a disaster for legit service customers needing specific stuff done that isn’t necessarily profitable for the dealership. Sometimes the man in business has to take a hit because there is a service contract to be honored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
I live in Menifee. A few weeks ago, took my 2018 LT to Anderson for the rubbing hose recall. I asked the service writer about the software update to eliminate the plopping sound in the exhaust when the ICE kicks in. He'd never heard of it, but promised to check on it, and did, and so I got both the recall and the software update at the same time on my first visit to Anderson.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I picked up a hole in one of my tires, and decided to replace all four. I called the same service writer, who apparently is now wedded to me in some mystical way that only the dealership understands. No one else can help me, apparently. Because he was busy making a sale, I waited and waited. No one else in line, just me, but no one else could help me. If I asked, I'd get "who is your service writer?" When he finally got around to me, it turned out that he couldn't get the tires I wanted, after assuring me he could get any tire, and price match. I went home and ordered my tires from Tire Rack and installed them myself. The exact tire I wanted, and they were in my garage in 48 hours. Anderson is at the bottom of my list.

·
Registered
84 Posts
no joke.

we just dropped our volt off for the loss of propulsion / service high voltage system recall, which has tripped the CEL right now. the "volt expert" that took our info popped the hood and proceeded to give us a speech about how you "shouldn't use the engine too much, because they'll blow up."

he then went on to tell me that after they do the recall, they'll need to do a diagnostic and that'll be a $150 fee for whatever they find wrong with the car. if it ends up being covered under warranty, then the fee is waived...but after i called him out on it (the car is definitely still under the 8/150 voltec warranty), he started listing a bunch of "potential issues" that would cause it to not be covered. "accidents, modifications, a pebble through the radiator, etc."

i've had this car since 2013 and driven it thousands upon thousands of miles on gas with no worry about it potentially "blowing up" nor any issues whatsoever with the engine, nor any real issues with the car period aside from this CEL and the reduced propulsion nonsense a few months ago. i did have a small accident where i was trying to get out of a drive thru and ran into a small boulder that required some repairs two years ago, but the car has been running like a dream since then without issues.

the entire thing just felt like he was trying to scam me into having to pay for whatever the repair is on the charging system, even though it should clearly be under warranty. what should i do here?
Yes I call BS. We use our Volt to tow our little 2000 lb camper for over 35,000 miles now. If anything would stress the engine it would be hauling a camper over the Rockies multiple times. We now are closing in on 97,000 total miles with no issue. And we unfortunately use the gas engine a lot.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts