GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no joke.

we just dropped our volt off for the loss of propulsion / service high voltage system recall, which has tripped the CEL right now. the "volt expert" that took our info popped the hood and proceeded to give us a speech about how you "shouldn't use the engine too much, because they'll blow up."

he then went on to tell me that after they do the recall, they'll need to do a diagnostic and that'll be a $150 fee for whatever they find wrong with the car. if it ends up being covered under warranty, then the fee is waived...but after i called him out on it (the car is definitely still under the 8/150 voltec warranty), he started listing a bunch of "potential issues" that would cause it to not be covered. "accidents, modifications, a pebble through the radiator, etc."

i've had this car since 2013 and driven it thousands upon thousands of miles on gas with no worry about it potentially "blowing up" nor any issues whatsoever with the engine, nor any real issues with the car period aside from this CEL and the reduced propulsion nonsense a few months ago. i did have a small accident where i was trying to get out of a drive thru and ran into a small boulder that required some repairs two years ago, but the car has been running like a dream since then without issues.

the entire thing just felt like he was trying to scam me into having to pay for whatever the repair is on the charging system, even though it should clearly be under warranty. what should i do here?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Scam...It sounds like one, alright. What a bunch of hoopla with that "shouldn't use the engine too much"...:ROFLMAO:

What should you do? Find another dealer. Pronto.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here in SoCal, you have many dealers to choose from. I'd suggest you find a different one. What is the name of the dealership?
anderson chevrolet in lake elsinore. it's the only one within 15 miles or so of the house, so we're kinda stuck unless we want to drive a while.

the weird thing is i've taken the car there before and had no issues. i don't know if this guy is new or something, but it was just odd...

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,418 Posts
so we're kinda stuck unless we want to drive a while.
So, if you need to continue using Anderson, you might consider making appointments via the web if their website allows you to choose a specific service writer (as mine does) and avoid him. If it's not clear how to accomplish this, ask to speak to the service manager and explain that you want to stay a customer, but only if you can avoid "expert guy". That would probably accomplish a couple different things.

·
Registered
125 Posts
no joke.

we just dropped our volt off for the loss of propulsion / service high voltage system recall, which has tripped the CEL right now. the "volt expert" that took our info popped the hood and proceeded to give us a speech about how you "shouldn't use the engine too much, because they'll blow up."

he then went on to tell me that after they do the recall, they'll need to do a diagnostic and that'll be a $150 fee for whatever they find wrong with the car. if it ends up being covered under warranty, then the fee is waived...but after i called him out on it (the car is definitely still under the 8/150 voltec warranty), he started listing a bunch of "potential issues" that would cause it to not be covered. "accidents, modifications, a pebble through the radiator, etc."

i've had this car since 2013 and driven it thousands upon thousands of miles on gas with no worry about it potentially "blowing up" nor any issues whatsoever with the engine, nor any real issues with the car period aside from this CEL and the reduced propulsion nonsense a few months ago. i did have a small accident where i was trying to get out of a drive thru and ran into a small boulder that required some repairs two years ago, but the car has been running like a dream since then without issues.

the entire thing just felt like he was trying to scam me into having to pay for whatever the repair is on the charging system, even though it should clearly be under warranty. what should i do here?
You can take it to any dealer and they’ll honor the warranty. Your “Volt tech” makes commission and it’s just painfully obvious.

“Service high voltage charging system” have you had the battery coolant level sensor installed and activated? Have you had that recall addressed yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, if you need to continue using Anderson, you might consider making appointments via the web if their website allows you to choose a specific service writer (as mine does) and avoid him. If it's not clear how to accomplish this, ask to speak to the service manager and explain that you want to stay a customer, but only if you can avoid "expert guy". That would probably accomplish a couple different things.
unfortunately they don't. i had to call in to make the appointment.

the hilarious thing is that they do have the ability to schedule via the web, but for every potential advisor and time block it just says "please call."

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can take it to any dealer and they’ll honor the warranty. Your “Volt tech” makes commission and it’s just painfully obvious.

“Service high voltage charging system” have you had the battery coolant level sensor installed and activated? Have you had that recall addressed yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this is the recall i was having them do:

GM #: N172130462
Loss of Propulsion Due to Low Cell Voltage
that's the only active recall onstar is showing for me, so if that's not it i guess i already had it done? i honestly don't remember the last time i had a recall done on this car, it was passed on to my wife a few years ago when we got our tesla and doesn't really get driven much at this point. it has probably only had 1000 miles or so put on it in the last two years total.

the part that kinda pissed me off was when he mentioned the diagnostic fee, i asked "why would i have to pay a diagnostic fee? this should all be under warranty." that's when he started pulling any and all kinds of excuses as to why it wouldn't be covered...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went to Anderson for my recall. I also had them check on the Shift to Park issue, even taking the TBN with the harness fix. So they call me to tell me the Harness is on back order and that's I need a new shifter. They wanted $500+ for the shifter replacement.

I already had ordered a new shifter months earlier and it was sitting in my closet. Think I paid $76 for it shipped. Switched it out myself a few weeks back. No issues since.

But yeah, I could of pressed them for a new shifter since it would/should have been covered under the Voltec warranty.

2016 Premier 71k miles now. 68k at the time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And check Temecula Valley Buick and GMC. They're close, I'm in Menifee!
i hadn't even thought of them...can they do chevy recalls? i was looking at paradise and gosch, they're the only other two that are somewhat nearby.

also, howdy neighbor! i'm basically in menifee too (canyon hills). technically elsinore but we do all our shopping in menifee since it's so much easier to get to than anywhere down off the 15.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Gosh, what will all the drivers of GM cars that only have a gas engine do? Do they know that using the gas engine "too much" will cause it to blow up? Has this guy warned them?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Gosh, what will all the drivers of GM cars that only have a gas engine do? Do they know that using the gas engine "too much" will cause it to blow up? Has this guy warned them?
Specially since it's basically the same engine as in the Trax, Aevo/Sonic, Cruze, Buick Encore.... Sometimes with turbochargers stuck on. A Volt is not hard life for an Ecotech I4.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
more fun times...based on recommendations here, i called them back and asked them to do the recall only AND NOTHING ELSE.

they called me back this morning to tell me the car is done. they did the recall and an oil change.

it's fine i guess, because it was going to need an oil change...but apparently they can't follow simple instructions either.

·
Registered
101 Posts
more fun times...based on recommendations here, i called them back and asked them to do the recall only AND NOTHING ELSE.

they called me back this morning to tell me the car is done. they did the recall and an oil change.

it's fine i guess, because it was going to need an oil change...but apparently they can't follow simple instructions either.
They are all about the💸💸. Time to shop around for another dealer.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
55 Posts
i hadn't even thought of them...can they do chevy recalls? i was looking at paradise and gosch, they're the only other two that are somewhat nearby.

also, howdy neighbor! i'm basically in menifee too (canyon hills). technically elsinore but we do all our shopping in menifee since it's so much easier to get to than anywhere down off the 15.
Paradise in Temecula changed their name to TVB-GM. I haven't used them personally, though I've been there plenty delivering engines and transmissions and picking up their cores.
I've been seeing a rash of 2nd and 1st Gen Volts in our neighborhood.
Good to see, as you know our air quality isn't the best.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts