GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't we all agree on Grandkids. I had to post this pic after reading the MT comparison to the Yota. You know I could never decide which one to leave home! Car seat Child Product Baby in car seat Seat belt

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
You can't do that in a Gen 1 Volt, either.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
We have had 5 'adults' in G2 Volts many times. The 'adults' are often high school or college students.

Yet every single review says it's impossible.

It's strange to be human who was alive when VW Beetles often had 6 people in them and read a Volt can barely hold 4.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
We have had 5 'adults' in G2 Volts many times. The 'adults' are often high school or college students.

It's strange to be human who was alive when VW Beetles often had 6 people in them and read a Volt can barely hold 4.
That was in 1968, when seat belt laws were very different.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
But in 2016/7 we had all 5 people wearing seatbelts. Something many cars sold today cannot do, including the Prime and Mustang. Well, except the Mustang will only accept small kids or amputees.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
That was in 1968, when seat belt laws were very different.
In '68 we had lap belts, and only in the front. So I was able to put two people in the front of my Mini, and five in the back, legally.

Two child seats in the back of my Gen1 is a very tight fit, no matter what the law says, especially if even one of them is rear-facing. There just isn't much room.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

There is impossible and there is impractical. To be honest with you, 4 adults in a Volt is impractical, unless 2 are on the smaller side. The new Gen 2 is still effectively a 4 seater. Yes, you can put 5 in there, but it isn't comfortable (the girl in the photo in the middle looks pretty crowded). That may or may not be a concern for you, but I have several people at work refuse to ride in the Volt if they aren't in the front (or I hear grumblings about it later). My 12 yo complains about the back seat if he has to sit behind me. Ride in the back of a 5 series BMW (or any other midsize) and then ride in the back of the Volt, and see which you like better. The new Honda Clarity Volt ... er Plug In Hybrid, looks much more appealing for back seat space. I want a Malibu sized Volt.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I was kind of looking for..."Cute grandkids!" wrong forum I guess...LOL
Sorry, the flashback took me to 1968. They are cute. My two hardly ever get into any car but a taxi, and mine about once a year, so I can't post a comparable picture.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Got 11 into a Chevy Vega once.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I was a passenger in the back seat of my own Volt for a half-hour or so. I didn't feel crowded at all and was not bothered by lack of headroom. I'm average height, about 5' 11".

·
Registered
926 Posts
I was kind of looking for..."Cute grandkids!" wrong forum I guess...LOL
The two furtherest away look cute. The one right in front of you, I can't tell if it's about to cry or is memorizing your face for future payback...

·
Registered
14,007 Posts

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I was a passenger in the back seat of my own Volt for a half-hour or so. I didn't feel crowded at all and was not bothered by lack of headroom. I'm average height, about 5' 11".
Inseam?

(It's a pet peeve of mine: comfort depends on your proportions, not just height. My wife is 3 inches shorter than me but her legs are at least 2 inches longer, and long enough that it significantly affects comfort on planes and buses. Because of her short torso she increases the height of the Volt's driver's seat and if I use the same position my head touches the roof. Flying tip: if space is tight remove anything in the seat pocket in front as soon as you can. Flying request: please consider the person behind you before putting your seat back; long-legged people will be especially appreciative.)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Why do we insist on buying vehicles to meet the classic worst case scenario? 7 passengers, 2 sheets of plywood, and enough comfort for a 3 hour drive? My Volt usually has one person in it for 30 minutes. Why waste all that money on features that rarely get used? If I need a truck to cart a load home from Home Depot, they rent trucks for $20 an hour.

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Why do we insist on buying vehicles to meet the classic worst case scenario? 7 passengers, 2 sheets of plywood, and enough comfort for a 3 hour drive? My Volt usually has one person in it for 30 minutes. Why waste all that money on features that rarely get used? If I need a truck to cart a load home from Home Depot, they rent trucks for $20 an hour.
Because I need to tow and haul stuff all the time. Sure I can rent a truck from the hardware store to move plywood, but that doesn't allow me to take the family on a road trip while towing an airstream. Plus, car rental agencies get all bent out of shape when you ask whether a pickup or SUV has a tow package. They will drop you like a hot potato and not rent to you, I've tried. Budget, and UHaul will rent you something that you can tow with, but the ride and passenger space is downright harsh. Nope, I need a Subyukonade.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts