GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Over the weekend I did almost a thousand miles round trip (986 miles) from western Indiana to central Alabama in my 2011 Volt with non-lrr all season tires running 44 psi cold inflation pressure. I broke it down into two fuel stops in each direction.

The first leg of the trip was 169 miles. Leaving my home, the first 20 miles was half 55 mph and half 40 mph, and after that a fairly steady 55 mph until I reached around 140 miles at which point it went to a steady 70 mph. I left the car in “normal” mode and got 36.8 miles of EV range. On this first leg of the trip, I got 38.93 mpg on the ICE. If you figure in the EV miles driven into this it bumps the mpg up to 49.47 mpg. This was with weather starting out in the 50s and rising to the low 80’s by the first gas stop, I used the fan until outside temps reached 75F at which point I switched to Eco mode AC with adjustments to fan speed as needed as the outside temperatures got warmer.

The second leg of the trip was 324 miles at a steady 70 mph virtually the whole way with AC set appropriately for conditions (mid 80’s outside temp). Battery depleted and car in “normal” mode I got 38.43 mpg on the ICE this leg of the trip.

Third leg of the trip I was able to do a full charge of the battery overnight at the hotel, and had a bit of around town driving (about 7 miles) before hitting the highway back towards home at a steady 70 mph again. Temps in the high 80’s with appropriate to conditions AC usage and this time I used Mountain mode to retain some battery for slow driving after getting back home. The first 60% of the battery before the ICE kicked on (2011 only maintains 40% battery capacity in mountain mode) running low speeds for 7 miles and at high speeds for 10 miles only got me 17 miles of EV range. This leg of the trip was 198 miles with 37.91 mpg on the ICE and if you figure in the EV miles that bumps you up to 41.47 mpg.

The final leg of the trip was 295 miles starting out at 70 mph for the first 200 miles (slightly different route) and 55 mph for 75 miles and around 20 miles in the 40 mph range. I used the remaining 40% battery capacity at the end of the trip when I went into the 40 mph speed limit area and was able to get 18 miles of EV driving at those speeds. Temperatures ramped down over the afternoon into evening and for the last 100 miles or so I was back in fan only mode. So, on the ICE I got 40.5 mpg on this final leg and with the EV miles added in that gets bumped to 43.13 mpg.

So, overall from home to Alabama I got 38.49 on the ICE and 41.61 total MPG and the trip back 39.44 mpg on the ICE and 42.45 total MPG. Add it all together and for the round trip I got 38.96 mpg on the ICE and 42.03 MPG with the EV miles figured in.

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice! I only got 34 on the first 300 miles on a new 2014, but it rapidly came up to 36 on the last 200 miles. But I was running 80 mph plus. The economy will improve after the car gets loosened up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Amazingly similar results with 2012 and Cooper Zeon RS3A's

I did a similar trip this past weekend from Md to 1000 Islands, Ontario with a stop in Princeton both ways (a bit over 1000 miles overall).

The gas mileage was about 39.5 a bit below what I usually get (which is 43), in part because of some major traffic jams due to construction and leaving it in L for about 30 miles by mistake. I drove almost entirely in mountain mode, which I am sure dragged the gas part down a bit. And I did manage to put in a about 8 kW-hr in in an two overnight stops. So the overall gas mileage was about 42.5 mpg. The driving was mostly at 70 mpg. The Coopers were new and performed extremely well. A bit noisier, but much better handling. Tire pressure cold was 38, and the tires typically stayed at about 42/43 driving.

I regularly make long trips in Europe in a BMW 5-series (usually at much higher speeds), but found the Volt every bit as comfortable and satisfying.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I made a 1175 mile trip to Gainesville, Florida from the eastern end of Long Island in two days. I drove in Hold mode for the entire trip with tire pressure at 42 psi cold. Temps ranged from 45 to 75 the first day and from 60 to 80+ the second day. I used heat in comfort mode and fan the first day and A/C the second day. I kept to 65 mph or the speed limits, whichever was less. I averaged 43.1 mpg from the ICE both days. Last summer I made an 8500 mile road trip and averaged 41.5 mpg on the ICE for that trip. I started that trip with tire pressure at 43 psi. For both trips I used 91 octane or better and had no passengers.

The 2014 Volt is the best car that I have owned! Love my Volt 8^)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Last trip with our 2014 Volt outside the electric range was over 44 mpg on gas only and 42 miles on electric. Round trip to Tillamook Oregon about 130 miles total. Used highway 101, my wife and I with all our fishing gear. Gas was 87 octane from Costco....

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Off topic question:

At what speed range is the ICE directly coupled to provide propulsion in the 1st gen Volts? I will try and find the info myself and post it up here via edit if I find it.

Keith

·
Registered
70 Posts
I thought 65-70 mph and the gearing was such that the engine could turn the wheels.

Monty

·
Registered
902 Posts
I maintain 150 MPG. I did drive down to Denver today to buy too much gear at REI. Returned with 60 MPG for the trip and kept the lifetime above 150 MPG. I could beat the posted "high mileage" in a Prius.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Off topic question:

At what speed range is the ICE directly coupled to provide propulsion in the 1st gen Volts? I will try and find the info myself and post it up here via edit if I find it.

Keith
From experience on my multi-day road trip last summer, I became very attuned to the running of the Volt. From my observation, with light demand for power, the ICE will engage directly to provide torque to the wheels at ~35 mph.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Newest long range trip started yesterday, first leg of the trip was from the house in Rosedale Indiana to my wife's new apartment in Richmond Kentucky near her new job. Total miles for this leg of the trip was 311 miles with the first 36 as EV miles. The first 20 EV miles were at 30 to 40 mph and the remaining 16 were at 70 mph. Virtually the entire remainder of the trip (all the gasoline miles) were at 70 mph on the highway with just a few slow downs lasting less than 10 min total at slower speeds. So driving 275 miles on gasoline at 70 mph I got 39.61 mpg. Add in the EV miles and that brings me up to 44.8 mpg. I brought an extension cord and my L1 EVSE with me and charged up at the wife's new apartment for the next leg of the journey from Richmond Kentucky to Meridian Mississippi for a job interview. Here are some pics of the charging arrangement:

Plug is outside her upstairs apartment door just outside of the landing.

Here is the cord dangling down to the ground on the other side of the door:

Temporary coil of extension cord on the ground:

And finally the L1 EVSE hooked up to the extension cord and plugged into the car:

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I completed the second and third legs of my trip today with my journey from Richmond KY to Meridian MS. Total miles for the first leg of today's trip was 213 miles with the first 28 as EV miles. Right from the start I was off and running at 70 mph in hilly terrain, the weather started out cool at 50F and some sprinkles but no real rain. I would say 80% of the trip was at 70 mph in hilly terrain with 20% at 50 to 60 mph for various construction zones. So driving 185 miles on gasoline at mostly 70 mph I got 37.62 mpg. Add in the EV miles and that brings me up to 43.31 mpg.

Total miles for the second leg of today's trip was 313 miles with zero EV miles. By this time it was in the mid 80's temperature and clear weather, speeds and terrain the same as the first leg of the trip. So driving 313 miles on gasoline at mostly 70 mph I got 36.38 mpg. Second leg had a bit less hills, but heavy AC use vs no AC during first leg of the trip.

Later,

Keith

PS: No place to charge at this hotel, so trip from Meridian MS to Rosedale IN Tuesday evening will be all gasoline.

PPS: I think I was on the ragged edge of going into reduced propulsion mode in the first leg on the steep hills, the gasoline engine was absolutely screaming going up hill at 70 mph for a short time after a series of hills one after another for a few miles.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Final stats for this long distance trip are for my trip home from Meridian Mississippi to Clinton Indiana.

First leg of the trip was hilly at 70 mph with temps starting in the high 70’s going up to the mid 80's, with AC use as needed for comfort. No chance to charge at the hotel, so all miles traveled were on gasoline. I traveled 291 miles and got 36.62 mpg.

Second leg of the trip the terrain flattened out a bit, and towards the end of the trip had some rain and the last hour or two temps had lowered enough that fan only on climate control was comfortable. The first 4 hours of this leg of the trip were at or near 70 mph, with the last hour varying between 50 and 60 with the last 10 min at 40 mph. On this leg of the trip I traveled 320 miles and got 38.21 mpg.

Over the course of my trip from Clinton Indiana, to Richmond Kentucky, from Richmond Kentucky to Meridian Mississippi, and from Meridian Mississippi back to Clinton Indiana I covered a total of 1482 miles of which 64 were EV miles and 1388 on the ICE. Gas only MPG for the round trip was 37.73 mpg and with the EV miles added in I totaled 39.47 mpg.

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Your stats are what I would expect when driving at 70 and using AC. My road trip of 3934 miles a couple of weeks ago to Gainesville, FL and to St. Louis, MO netted me 40.5 mpg on the ICE and 42.5 mpg overall. I kept my limit to 65 mph and CC, with AC on Comfort Control and Auto.

Last year on my road trip of 8500 miles I kept my speed limit to 65 mph and was stingy with the AC use. With all kinds of driving from sight seeing to long hours at 65 mph on CC, I averaged 41.5 mpg for the ICE and 41.9 mpg overall.

Other than the first depletion of the charged battery I never plugged in to recharge on either trip, running the entire trips in CS mode. I bought 91 octane or better gasoline.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last stats before new lrr tires!

Long story short, I made a trip out to visit my wife in Kentucky this weekend repeating the same route I used the first week in May. Since this was my last trip on these non-lrr tires I decided just for giggles to try out the V word. Long story short it didn't make an appreciable difference other than making a pleasant drive less pleasant.

Same car, same tires, same tire pressure as every other trip in this thread so far. Temperatures were mid 80's at the start, but I started in late afternoon and it cooled off nicely as the drive progressed. I did a slightly different route at the start, so Total trip length was 321 miles with 34 of those being "true EV" miles. The route was about 15 miles of EV at 55 mph, 5 miles at 30 to 40 mph, and the remaining 14 EV miles were on the highway at 70 mph. Once again the rest of the trip was all highway at 70 mph with only a few slow downs. After initially draining the battery I went into Mountain Mode for 10 miles and checked how far I could get on the charge it gave me... I got a bit under 3 miles. So then I did MM for 30 miles and when I switched to normal I was able to drive 12 miles... but part of that was during one of the few slow downs on the drive where I was doing 60 mph instead of 70 mph. Subsequent experimentation showed that 25 miles of MM would give me between 9 and 9.5 miles of battery range and 30 miles of MM would give me 10 to 11 miles of battery range. Doing this for 321 miles resulted in 38.63 mpg when running the gasoline engine to provide power, and if you add in the miles driven on grid power that climbs to 44.38 this includes factoring in arriving at my destination fuel stop with 3 miles of battery range derived from running the gasoline generator.

In other words, I gave it a fair shot over a long range trip that I had done all in "normal" mode, and statistically the difference in mileage is insignificantly lower using MM to charge up the battery pack.

The trip home was done in normal as will every other trip from now on unless using mountain mode for its actual purpose (mountain driving) is needed. The trip home started late morning with temps in the mid 70's increasing throught the drive to mid 80's. Start of trip was about a mile run to the highway at 30 to 40 mph and then highway running for the next 280ish miles at mostly 70 mph with less slow downs than the trip to Kentucky. I got 31 miles of EV range (1 mile at low speeds, 30 miles at 70 mph) and got 39.49 mph when running the ICE and with the electric miles added in averaged 43.71 mpg over all.

My next few posts will be as my new lrr 215/55R-17 BRIDGESTONE ECOPIA EP422 PLUS break in, even durring break in I expect better mileage than the Bridgstone Fuzion touring tires that were on the car. Since the Fuzion's are about half the price of the Ecopia's I suspect the tires were a quick cheap replacement for worn out stock tires on my car when it came in as a lease return.

Keith

1 - 16 of 16 Posts