GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A reminder to G2 Volt owners nearing 24k miles, make sure to get your free oil change at your dealer. G2 volt owners are allowed two service visits in the first two years or 24k (which ever comes first).

I recently received my Onstar email and GM letter stating that I needed to take my trouble-free 2016 Volt to the dealership to have the "propulsion power is reduced" recall done in the near future. Before making my appointment, I decided to check my warranty to see if my free oil change needed to be done before 36k/3yr or 24k/2yr. Luckily I verified before I let it pass by. made sure to combine my free oil change since its a "use it or loose it" item.

I'm currently at 23k miles (75% EV/25%ICE) but only at 40% oil life, so it didn't really need to be done now. I do all my oil changes on the other 2 vehicles in my household but I figured I'd take advantage of this freebie. Just thought I'd remind your guys of this so that this freebie doesn't pass you by.

Happy trails.;)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
A reminder to G2 Volt owners nearing 24k miles, make sure to get your free oil change at your dealer. G2 volt owners are allowed two service visits in the first two years or 24k (which ever comes first).

I recently received my Onstar email and GM letter stating that I needed to take my trouble-free 2016 Volt to the dealership to have the "propulsion power is reduced" recall done in the near future. Before making my appointment, I decided to check my warranty to see if my free oil change needed to be done before 36k/3yr or 24k/2yr. Luckily I verified before I let it pass by. made sure to combine my free oil change since its a "use it or loose it" item.

I'm currently at 23k miles (75% EV/25%ICE) but only at 40% oil life, so it didn't really need to be done now. I do all my oil changes on the other 2 vehicles in my household but I figured I'd take advantage of this freebie. Just thought I'd remind your guys of this so that this freebie doesn't pass you by.
Why would you waste oil so early just because it's free?

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's less wasteful than throwing away $40. :D

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I cashed in on my first free service. Wanted to get my '17 all up to date maintenance wise so I can show that to whoever takes over my lease. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Will the dealer accept to change the oil if it's at 40% oil life? I'm not so sure!

·
Administrator
20,437 Posts
I did my free oil change at 2 years, following the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
Will the dealer accept to change the oil if it's at 40% oil life? I'm not so sure!
It varies by dealer as best I can tell. I've heard some dealers insist on hitting 15% OL before servicing the car, but I had a service writer tell me that was not set in stone. Specifically, GM will pay for the free oil changes if the customer asks as long you don't exceed 2 servicing trips in two years. Apparently GM was seeing push back from old school 3 mo/3,000 miles customers who don't trust the new OLM and as a customer service measure told the dealers it would back off the 15% OL standard. That may change over time as people get used to longer OCIs, but that was the scuttlebutt as of a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Everything is included with ELR. All oil changes are free. (I mean included in the price of the car. Nothing is free.)

They did the first one @30%. OnStar is the one being a PITA about it. They told me 20% or they wouldn't schedule the service. My dealer has no problem changing the oil early if it's close one of the regular 7500mi visits.

Got my second oil change (@25% and 29k miles) last Friday.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, there has been numerous people here on the forum that reported that there dealers did it for them for free at a higher % than me. In fact in many cases, the dealer was the one initing the service to be done.

I'll make sure to that the delear acknowledges its free with it being at 40%. If not, then I'll wait to do it myself at a later time.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Specifically, GM will pay for the free oil changes if the customer asks as long you don't exceed 4 servicing trips in two years.
Its actually 2 services in in 2 years or 24 months, which ever comes first. I verified it with GM prior making the appt, but i do need to check with dealer that they'll do it for free with my oil at 40%.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
Its actually 2 services in in 2 years or 24 months, which ever comes first. I verified it with GM prior making the appt, but i do need to check with dealer that they'll do it for free with my oil at 40%.
Typo on my part ... I'll fix my earlier post to avoid confusion.

Thanks for catching.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yep, there has been numerous people here on the forum that reported that there dealers did it for them for free at a higher % than me. In fact in many cases, the dealer was the one initing the service to be done.

I'll make sure to that the delear acknowledges its free with it being at 40%. If not, then I'll wait to do it myself at a later time.
That is close to my case when I went for first year tire rotation and software updates. Do not remember the %oil at that time but was much higher than 50%. One of the reasons for the visit was to establish a relationship with a nearby Volt dealer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I took my Volt in at the 7,500 mile interval visit, and oil was in the 70% area. The dealer said they would change it (for free) if I wanted, but recommended I wait and use that free oil change later. I'm now at 10,000 miles, and oil is still above 50%.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I took mine in when it said it needed to be changed. It was 25 months, and the dealership hassled me about it. The service dept manager made a big deal about it and how he was going to give it to me as a one time courtesy. He even had the balls to ask me if I even bought the Volt from his dealership. #neveragain #franchiseddealershipssuck

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yep! My dealer changed it at 80% and five months when I brought it in for a software update even though I did not tell them to and did not want it done!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I ended up changing mine early because of the oil pan leak. Then again because I found out they put 5w-30 (instead of 5w-20) into the engine. Then again probably twice more because they couldn't fix the leak. I ended up buying my own oil and fixing the oil pan myself. The inside of my engine is pretty clean.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Had my Volt in last week for the propulsion reduced update, and the dealer asked if I wanted my oil changed at 10k, ~50% oil life, and I said "no", and he acted all annoyed and noted it on my record.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts