GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got my 2013 Volt in January I've read many posts here about the backup camera. Many lamented the inability to get a decent picture even after GM replaced their camera. My complaint was the camera was dim in daylight and completely worthless at night, capturing only a tiny trapezoid cast by backup light. Finally I took it to the dealer (with a couple of other minor complaints). When I got it back I was shocked, shocked I say to actually see a bright, pure blue sky when I put it into reverse!

And better yet, at night the view is as it should be. I can actually see far behind me now. Wow! What a difference.

For those who have the same problem (and I think there are many) my repair order says: Replaced rear camera assembly 22883286 Module.

The image is still not razor sharp, but it's satisfactory for what it needs to do and the increased brightness will startle you at first. It may be GM improved their cameras for the 2014 model year and this is one of the new ones -- not sure on that. For those of you who saw no improvement when your camera was replaced, maybe this module # will help you get it fixed once and for all. Don't give up. There is something out there that works :eek:

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
For those who have the same problem (and I think there are many) my repair order says: Replaced rear camera assembly 22883286 Module.
Thanks, yes that's the number everyone is reporting.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
In daylight my 2013 displays just fine, but at night it's as limited as you describe. Guess I'll start a list of things needing attention. This is my first item.

Thanks for the info, very useful.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is there a way to check by VIN if a 2013 has the upgraded camera? I've never had one before so I have limited basis to guage how well it is supposed to work.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In daylight my 2013 displays just fine, but at night it's as limited as you describe. Guess I'll start a list of things needing attention. This is my first item.

Thanks for the info, very useful.
My other complaints were the loose driver's seat back (fixed), rare center stack freezes (not fixed - couldn't duplicate -- no surprise there).

My loaner car for several days (there was a snafu on the seat frame order) was a 2014 Impala with backup camera. What I noticed was the Impala backup camera was bright and useful even at night, BUT, much blurrier. I think it's because the Impala has a larger screen while probably using the same resolution camera GM is putting on the 2014 model line. Also, the Impala's camera captured parts of the rear of the car in the image, top and bottom -- rather odd. It also had the yellow lines which were on the Volts up to 2013, which I liked on the Impala and now find myself missing on my Volt. The 2014 Impala is a really nice car, with room for an NBA team in the back. I sure wouldn't trade it for my Volt, though. Once you own a Prius and a Volt cars like an Impala will shock you with how fast the gas gauge goes down.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My loaner car for several days (there was a snafu on the seat frame order) was a 2014 Impala with backup camera. The 2014 Impala is a really nice car, with room for an NBA team in the back. I sure wouldn't trade it for my Volt, though. Once you own a Prius and a Volt cars like an Impala will shock you with how fast the gas gauge goes down.
I recently went to Denver on a business trip and I also found myself completely shocked watching the gas gauge going down EVERYDAY!! After 4 days of driving all over creation, I had to fill up my little Hyundai Accent (econobox?) with about $25 in fuel, only to find myself doing the same thing three days later, and then another $20 when I returned the car another two days later!!! It was pure horror I tell ya!! Watching the gas gauge on the Volt is boring in comparison. I'm not sure how many miles I went, but I was getting about 30 mpg in that car.

On a sidenote, I want to beg each and every one of you NOT TO rent from Payless Rent A Car Denver Int'l!! This is a horrible horrible company that bait and switched me, tried to give me an upgrade and then showed me the bottom line, and berated me for not wanting to pre pay for fuel. They charged my Credit CArd in full as i rented the car, and then told me they were going to hold a deposit on top of that. I've rented cars many times before (just not in Colorado, so I didn't know that was standard practice) and have never had them charge my card without telling me beforehand. At least let me know, and don't make me feel like a dumbass for not reading the fine print on your website. I didn't even book it on their website. Anyway, I went in to the location part way thru my rental period to ask about extending my rental:
Me: "Hi, I am shopping around as my trip is being extended another four days. What kind of price can you give me for another four days?"
Rental Agent: "Well sir, you didn't have to drive all the way out here just for me to show you on the contract what the daily rental fee will be after your week is up!"
Me: "I just dropped off my friend at the airport and thought I would come say hello."
RA: "It says right on your contract that it's $42/day plus the $12 late fee."
Me: "I don't see $42 written anywhere on there"
RA: "Well if you just add up this base charge and this airport fee and this daily charge it comes up to $42. But you didn't need to come all the way in here for me to tell you that!"
Me: "Ok, so that's the best you can do on price?"
RA: "Yes, shall I go ahead and extend it?"
Me: (walking away) "No, I don't think so, but I'll let you know!"
RA: "Ok but don't drive all the way here if you want to extend!"
Me: "I wouldn't dream of it!"

The whole premise was I know there's a price on the contract, I'm asking if you can do anything better, because I hate you guys and I'm not paying your stupid fee, plus the standard price. Ugh!

I ended up going down the street to Fox RAC and getting a deal on a Corolla for $15/day and no bull**** before or after.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a way to check by VIN if a 2013 has the upgraded camera? I've never had one before so I have limited basis to guage how well it is supposed to work.
I don't know of a way to do that. There have been many arguments in this forum as to what constitutes a "good" camera. There are those who, early in 2013, told me my camera was normal. Others said they had the same problems, had GM replace it, and nothing changed. Others said they liked their cameras and we were being too picky.

About all I can say is put your car in reverse in a dimly lighted area. But there needs to be some lighting, like street lights. If all you see is a small patch of light from the reverse light and almost nothing else, it would be safe to say you have the old camera. It will be replaced under warranty. Give the dealer the module # I listed to make sure you don't get leftover stock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know of a way to do that. There have been many arguments in this forum as to what constitutes a "good" camera. There are those who, early in 2013, told me my camera was normal. Others said they had the same problems, had GM replace it, and nothing changed. Others said they liked their cameras and we were being too picky.

About all I can say is put your car in reverse in a dimly lighted area. But there needs to be some lighting, like street lights. If all you see is a small patch of light from the reverse light and almost nothing else, it would be safe to say you have the old camera. It will be replaced under warranty. Give the dealer the module # I listed to make sure you don't get leftover stock.
I just checked and mine has the issue exactly as you describe. Thanks for posting the info.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have a 2013 and wonder if this camera problem is for real ?

Reason is I have discovered how this problem could occur:

Ie the dash vertical LCD brightness DIAL if bumped from maximum can cause the Ray Charles effect when the Auto headlights are on.
I wonder how many cameras have been replaced when it may have just been the adjustable dial setting ?

Unless there were batches of different cameras being put in on the 2013 which I would doubt ?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2013 and wonder if this camera problem is for real ?

Reason is I have discovered how this problem could occur:

Ie the dash vertical LCD brightness DIAL if bumped from maximum can cause the Ray Charles effect when the Auto headlights are on.
I wonder how many cameras have been replaced when it may have just been the adjustable dial setting ?

Unless there were batches of different cameras being put in on the 2013 which I would doubt ?
To believe the problem were not "for real" you would have to believe that none of the people here complaining would ever have thought of turning up the brightness on their own. You would also have to believe that GM is willing to make hundreds of repairs for free without checking to see if the brightness had been turned down. Why would you doubt there are different batches of cameras on 2013 models? Defective batches show up all the time in all areas of technology. My service advisor indicated immediately he knew what the problem was and didn't bother insulting me by asking me if I knew how to turn up the brightness.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took my 2013 Cyber Gray Volt in today for a few things, one of them was me complaining about the backup camera at night being this issue, cone of light and nothing else, making it useless for backing out of my garage in the early mornings sunrise. Dealer claimed, there is no updates for this, I know there are no software updates, it's a part replacement. Well I left with the issue unresolved, called my adviser and was told that this was a car color issue, ie. White Diamond. Adviser said she would contact the dealer and try to get this resolved, I'm waiting to hear back from them. This is not just a car color issue, it maybe more pronounced with the reflection off the white bumper, but mine is still worthless at night. Seems my camera thinks it's installed a white car. ;-) Hope BAZINGA (Tom) and I can get the update.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took my 2013 Cyber Gray Volt in today for a few things, one of them was me complaining about the backup camera at night being this issue, cone of light and nothing else, making it useless for backing out of my garage in the early mornings sunrise. Dealer claimed, there is no updates for this, I know there are no software updates, it's a part replacement. Well I left with the issue unresolved, called my adviser and was told that this was a car color issue, ie. White Diamond. Adviser said she would contact the dealer and try to get this resolved, I'm waiting to hear back from them. This is not just a car color issue, it maybe more pronounced with the reflection off the white bumper, but mine is still worthless at night. Seems my camera thinks it's installed a white car. ;-) Hope BAZINGA (Tom) and I can get the update.
I also have the White Diamond color and early on I thought that was the issue. The issue is a defective camera module. I posted the number of the replacement part earlier in the thread. Someone in a recent link posted a "before" picture which looked just like mine used to look. I then posted a picture which showed how mine now looks with the new module. Scroll through the thread to find these pictures. Also, to my surprise, the daytime screen looks much brighter. Stick with it. Don't let them beat you down. Here's the link:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?53729-Backpup-camera-fixed-2013-White-Diamond-Tri-coat.&p=1043713#post1043713

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
http://www.gmwholesaledirect.com/oem-part/oem-gm/module/22883286

http://www.gmwholesaledirect.com/oem-part/oem-gm/camera/22923842

Has it been confirmed that the 22883286 camera is a substantial upgrade over the 22923842 camera? According to the links above these cameras are currently the same price at $87.61 plus shipping.
Well can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace the camera? My Cyber Gray Volt "Does not have a bad camera, because my car is not White Diamond Tricoat", that was what I was told by my dealer, and Volt adviser. So for less than $100, I'm willing to turn a few screws myself, and fix what's, "Not broken", but is useless at night to use.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Well can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace the camera? My Cyber Gray Volt "Does not have a bad camera, because my car is not White Diamond Tricoat", that was what I was told by my dealer, and Volt adviser. So for less than $100, I'm willing to turn a few screws myself, and fix what's, "Not broken", but is useless at night to use.

Preliminary Procedure

Remove the rear bumper fascia. Refer to Rear Bumper Fascia Removal and Installation : Volt → Ampera .

Rearview Camera Image Display Module Screw (Qty: 2)

Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution in the Preface section.

Rearview Camera Image Display Module

Procedure

Disconnect the electrical connector.

Above is the Rearview Camera Image Display Module Replacement procedure taken from pg. 5569 of the Volt service manual linked below in my signature!;)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I had mine replaced. It helps a lot. From what I am told... The solution to fixing the 2011,2012 and 2013 Volt backup camera is to replace it with the 2014 backup camera.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
http://www.gmwholesaledirect.com/oem-part/oem-gm/module/22883286

http://www.gmwholesaledirect.com/oem-part/oem-gm/camera/22923842

Has it been confirmed that the 22883286 camera is a substantial upgrade over the 22923842 camera? According to the links above these cameras are currently the same price at $87.61 plus shipping.
I'm not sure why having the same price would have anything to do with it. I think having different part numbers might be indicative of having a different camera module. As for your question, I can confirm the camera is a substantial upgrade, (wasn't that the point of my thread, duh?) If that, and others reporting here doesn't mean anything to you, live with what you've got.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Would love to see some before and after pictures of how it looks at night and during the day.

If this works out I can un-tape my extra iPhone from the back hatch back.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 72 Posts