GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.virginiaev.org/archives/93

They will be offering two options.

Whole house will lower the rate for usage in off peak times.

Second meter option will install a meter that will be used only for charging the EV.

DVP calculates total cost to charge at 30-35 cents for typical EV to get 40 miles. Although they also calculate total costs under current rates at 86 cents. My calculations put the number at $1.25

They will only be accepting 750 participants in each program, for a total of 1500 people.

The program will run for a limited time, if it is approved by regulators.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seeing that a Volt will not complete charging during the 10pm-6am window on 110v, I don't know if it's a good idea to get involved unless you have a 220v charger.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Seeing that a Volt will not complete charging during the 10pm-6am window on 110v, I don't know if it's a good idea to get involved unless you have a 220v charger.
This implies you need a full charge. You do not need a full 12.4 kWh re-charge every night - unless you take it down to the whole 10.4 kWh usable capacity. If you drive 20-30 miles instead of 40+ - you are fine recharging on 110v. Plus, in summer months, the batteries need less charging and conditioning to go the same miles - so it's debateable as to really needing the 220v charger.

If you cannot get a 220v charger for free - what's the cost? $500? imagine how many kWh you can buy for that. Even at a heafty 0.20 / kWh - that is 2500 kWh (appx 200 full recharges). The point is - not a lot of people really can benefit from the cost of a 220v charger if they typically do overnight 8-hour type recharging. If they do multiple trips a day with a gap of a few hours between - then absolutely, 220v sounds best.

·
Registered
418 Posts
For some light reading... here is the actual SCC proposal submitted by DVP.

http://www.dom.com/about/environment/pdf/electric-vehicle-pilot-proposal.pdf
Glad you were able to hook up with them. In my conversations with them, I want the second meter so I know how much electricity I am using for the car. I drive 72 miles round trip each day and hook up the charger as soon as i get home. Before I commit to the lower payment option, I want to know how much it saves/costs to wait until later to charge or the implications of not waiting.

I plan on commenting to the State Corporation Commission when they open hearings. How about you?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Glad you were able to hook up with them. In my conversations with them, I want the second meter so I know how much electricity I am using for the car. I drive 72 miles round trip each day and hook up the charger as soon as i get home. Before I commit to the lower payment option, I want to know how much it saves/costs to wait until later to charge or the implications of not waiting.

I plan on commenting to the State Corporation Commission when they open hearings. How about you?

I am a little on the fence about this. It is nice that they are willing to give you some price break if you use it between 1-5am and a slight discount from 10-1am. But the penalty for using it from 6am to 10pm directly offsets the deeper discount and more the penalizes for the slight discount from 10-1am.

Right now I find that when I come home from work in the afternoon I am getting 2-3 hours off charge time before hauling the kids of to sports practices etc.

But yes, definitely if I do it I am leaning towards getting the second meter... wonder if they pay for the meter?

I would think they would have no trouble pushing this through. They have excess capacity at the times they are discounting for, so any usage they can drum up at those times is a bonus.

And yes I use the 220v charger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts