GM Volt Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sorry to hear of this problem, DogMom. One thing that crossed my mind is that, for various reasons, other people also face the need to get rid of a practically-new car. You might identify a more-suitable car, Prius plug-in, for example, and go to a forum for that car. Offer up a near-even trade. That guy avoids a $10k loss and you avoid a $10k loss: win-win.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Brick, Throttle, Tree, Done.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can someone tell me (the ad doesn't) how this thing (see above link inside the quote) works? It looks like it attaches to the top of the window, but if the car door is open, how can someone use it to get in and out of the car? What am I missing? Otherwise it looks great, but I don't see how it would work in the Volt. :confused:
The strap can be attached around the top-front of the door frame while the window is open. Closing the window would help hold it in place. The strap doesn't have a quick-connect to disconnect it for removal, only a plastic buckle like would be found on a backpack or similar, but would still be removable when needed.

When the door is open, the strap is somewhat adjustable and should still be within reach, maybe 6 inches further away. If not, there were other models with longer straps (and more reviews) like this one http://amzn.com/B000GUDGUU. I liked the first link because the cloth/felt bag could keep the handle from banging on the window while the car was in motion.

Other options would be to install a regular grab handle on the roof headliner like in any other car. The handles themselves can also be fairly inexpensive, but it would probably be beneficial to have an auto customizer do the installation. Amazon had some of the permanent mount handles listed under RV grab handles.

·
Registered
424 Posts
A friend of mine got a fully loaded 2013 with 36k miles for about 22k at Car Max which was a pretty smoking deal.
Am I the only one that does not think this is a smoking deal? 36K and a 2 years old Volt for 22K? I hope my car will be worth 22K in 2 years with 36K miles on it. I'm not even sure I could get 22K for it right now and its a 2014 with 13K on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
+1. Doesn't help though. When a car is declared a total loss, the insurance only pays fair market replacement value. So this would either be "Rats, foiled again" or "Do something Muttley". ;)
Most leases now come with gap insurance (my Ally one did) that covers the difference between market value and value owed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Am I the only one that does not think this is a smoking deal? 36K and a 2 years old Volt for 22K? I hope my car will be worth 22K in 2 years with 36K miles on it. I'm not even sure I could get 22K for it right now and its a 2014 with 13K on it.
Considering it had an MSRP of over 40,000 and it was less than 2 years old with 70% of the Voltec warranty, I think it is a pretty good deal through a dealer. Not private party. Plus this is in Iowa where there is not exactly a ton of Volts on the road.

·
Registered
179 Posts
this was the thread where dogmom requested people's advice. Totally different from posting a separete thread for a car for sale. Has anyone heard from her in the last 24 hours?I can't tell when she was last signed on, but she is probably off licking her wounds with her tail between her legs from all the trolls.

She thought enough of the people on this forum to ask for your advice. You accused he of trying to "ripp-off" people, questioned her integrity" and did it again and again. she doesn't even have a price posted, and those thousands of visitors who lurk here without knowing her will think she is a bad person. i'm so disappointed in this forum.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
DogMom - posted this on the other thread but in case you're not looking -

nothing to lose here - maybe consider trading in the Volt plus whatever car it is that your husband prefers for one new car.
I'm thinking you can do better on a trade in given they'd love to sell you a new one.

Maybe start off emailing a couple dealers - good luck

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I was hoping that the motorized seat option might work for her situation. But I can understand how her husband would be more comfortable with a car that has a larger door opening and easier access.

I think it is genuinely touching to see DogMom compromise her beloved Volt for her husband's sake. (This is a selfless act that is rare in todays world.) I wish them both the best of luck and I hope they find a great car that fits their needs.

I will miss DogMom. She has been a valuable contributor to this forum.

·
Registered
985 Posts
. Has anyone heard from her in the last 24 hours?I can't tell when she was last signed on, but she is probably off licking her wounds with her tail between her legs from all the trolls.
.[/B]
She is likely off doing better things than fight the crowd in here. Good for her.
I believe most people here was posting with good intent and simply pointing out some of the obvious about the price of used VOLT.
I am sure she is a kind person cares about her husband, about the homeless, about animals and so on. SHe has a good sense of humor. Now the magenta colored text .. now that is a different topic :).
As much as we are rooting /cheering for here to be able get her situation solved; we can wish all day that she can sell the car for $29000K... but the used car market is cruel...and does not care if the seller is an angel with good intent.
But having price listed in a a for sale ad would help.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts