GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
As part of the silent majority, I regretfully inform you that it would be a real challenge to sell your car for 30k.

ps. winchipper doesn't need a Christmas card but he's just trying to help out same as everyone else.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
MisterDave: I don't understand why we would lose the credit? But since we're both retired, we can't use it all anyway.
I said possibly (I didn't look up the rules for you, sorry) but IIRC you have to be the current owner of the car to claim the credit. You do well to look this up for yourself. Never take advice on internet forums (especially legal advice) without doing your own homework.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I said possibly (I didn't look up the rules for you, sorry) but IIRC you have to be the current owner of the car to claim the credit. You do well to look this up for yourself. Never take advice on internet forums (especially legal advice) without doing your own homework.
Then how do the car dealers do it?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Do what? They don't own the car before you buy it. You're legally the "first owner" which qualifies you for the tax credit.
No, I mean don't they get the tax credit when they lease out the Volt? And the car dealership is not the owner. Oh, never mind. It doesn't really matter, because I will look it up myself. And then I'll check with our accountant. And both of us are tired and re-tired anyway.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I guess its a Moot point anyway but if you couldn't take the credit you really should have looked into a used Volt. Than you wouldn't be in this bad of a position. Maybe only lose a couple thousand instead of possible 6-7K.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
It doesn't really matter, because I will look it up myself. And then I'll check with our accountant.
There you go...

If you don't mind my asking, did you buy it cash or on a car loan? If you took a loan you'll have to pay out the difference if you sell it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well I figuring she would be able to take some of her tax credit. But if she can't take any, your right its going to be more like 13-14K.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well I figuring she would be able to take some of her tax credit. But if she can't take any, your right its going to be more like 13-14K.
At this rate, there will be no one left on my Christmas card list.

You're out too.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Can I opt-out please? When someone can tell me when Christ was born I'll consider celebrating it.
2014 years ago. It wasn't actually December 25th though. That is just the day we celebrate it. And the wise men didn't find baby Jesus until about 2 years later, so they really don't belong in any manger scenes.

Are you Jewish?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Oh $hit.

People say I derail a thread!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
2014 years ago. It wasn't actually December 25th though. That is just the day we celebrate it. And the wise men didn't find baby Jesus until about 2 years later, so they really don't belong in any manger scenes.

Are you Jewish?
More than 2014 years ago. You're thinkinng A.D. No I'm not Jewish. Looks like you know more than just "There is no Santa". Good for you.

@Elemental: Distractions are helpful at this point.

·
Registered
424 Posts
But my birthday is on Christmas!!! Am i still off the list?

In all seriousness (yes my bday is on christmas) just driving the car off the lot you are going to lose around 2-3K. And this is if you negotiated the best deal that any one else can. Than take away the $7500 tax credit. You are looking atleast 10-11K. Than I am not even sure how the state incentives come in to play on the numbers even though your state may not even have incentives.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
At this rate, there will be no one left on my Christmas card list.

You're out too.
I think Winchipper gave sound advise . No BS , means no disappointments when reality kicks in . Unless your plan is to take advantage of someone else .

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
More than 2014 years ago. You're thinkinng A.D. No I'm not Jewish [. . . .]
Jesus was about 33 when He died. He was about 30 years old when He started His public ministry, and it lasted about 3.5 years. Is that what you are looking for? What can I answer for you? Feel free to PM me your e-mail address if there is a longer discussion that would be helpful for you, or, we could start a discussion over in OT. :)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Thanks Mom, I think I have the bases covered.

Talked with your accountant yet?

P.S. I married an angel.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts