GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lengthy discussions with my husband this weekend, I made the difficult decision to sell my Volt. I don't know how to price it. It is so new, that Kelly Blue Book doesn't even list a Volt as an option under 2014 used cars. It is more like a demo. Here are the details, followed by why I am going to list it for sale.

Year: 2014
Mileage: 2,600
Color: Silvery Topaz (light blue)
Extras: safety packages 1 and 2 (so it has the back-up camera)
Price Paid: $36,XXX
Condition: flawless
Problems: None, it's perfect. (Still has that new car smell).

My husband uses a walker and the car is hard for him to get in-and-out of. It's just too low. I knew this when we got it, but we both thought he would get used to it. He can do it, but he doesn't want to.

He won't drive it, and it is so hard for him to get in-and-out of that he is going back to just his car. It makes no sense for us to drive separately, in two cars, when we go somewhere, but I don't want to ride in his car. My marriage is much more important that bickering all the time about him getting in that car with me. I love the car, but I love my husband more.

Any suggestions on a price???

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Oh, I just don't have the heart to tell you. You are going to lose a lot of money on this transaction. I can tell you, but it will be brutal.

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
After lengthy discussions with my husband this weekend, I made the difficult decision to sell my Volt. I don't know how to price it. It is so new, that Kelly Blue Book doesn't even list a Volt as an option under 2014 used cars. It is more like a demo. Here are the details, followed by why I am going to list it for sale.

Year: 2014
Mileage: 2,600
Color: Silvery Topaz (light blue)
Extras: safety packages 1 and 2 (so it has the back-up camera)
Price Paid: $36,XXX
Condition: flawless
Problems: None, it's perfect. (Still has that new car smell).

My husband uses a walker and the car is hard for him to get in-and-out of. It's just too low. I knew this when we got it, but we both thought he would get used to it. He can do it, but he doesn't want to.

He won't drive it, and it is so hard for him to get in-and-out of that he is going back to just his car. It makes no sense for us to drive separately, in two cars, when we go somewhere, but I don't want to ride in his car. My marriage is much more important that bickering all the time about him getting in that car with me. I love the car, but I love my husband more.

Any suggestions on a price???
I'm saddened to hear you are leaving the Volt family. I guess I'm off the hook now for dipping your Volt purple. With any luck, GM will have a Voltec Equinox soon. And you're dogs will like it better.

Stick around the forums though, we need someone to offset Elemental's views.

As for price, I wonder if you are able to claim the tax credit? If you can, then it would be an awesome option to price it exactly $7500 less than what you paid so someone who doesn't qualify can get one almost new. Alas, if they don't qualify, they might have trouble getting financing.

You might try trading it in to see what the dealership will give you.

·
8,680 Posts
All cars lose a bunch of money when you drive them off of the lot - with EVs it's especially bad, because of the tax credit.

Considering the credit, I'm suspecting you may be looking at $25k or so.

It looks like Edmunds dot com calculators will handle a 2014 with low mileage. I don't know how accurate their values are, of course.

Have you decided what is next? The C-Max (Energi, of course,) and Leaf both have more vertical seating that might be easier to get into...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
DogMom,

Just a thought... ... you might consider renting your next car for a week to make sure it is a comfortable fit before you commit to a lease or purchase.

KNS

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
How do you like your water: hot, tepid, or cold? Because you're gonna' take a bath anyway you slice it. :)

One (minor) reason I traded my volt in for a cmax was the much better ingress/egress. That's fancy words for getting in and out. You might consider taking the hubby down to the dealership and try out an Energi model. You'll take a bath trading in a newish car (BTDT) but this might be the best option if you want to stay in the plug-in world. There are some great deals on the few remaining '13's.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You might consider CarMax to see what they would give you for the car.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think your vehicle is worth 23,000 for a quick sale.
You're a car dealer in California. I'm talking about a private sale in Ohio. Ten weeks ago I paid over $36,000.

Are you selling 2014 Volts with 2,600 miles on them for $23,000 at your dealership, Winchipper???

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, I just don't have the heart to tell you. You are going to lose a lot of money on this transaction. I can tell you, but it will be brutal.
This thread is so depressing.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear about your husband's physical problem. Selling an almost new Volt is going to be nasty. The last month has seen MY 2014 Volts drop several thousand dollars to around $31K. Counting the tax credit winchipper's estimate is, unfortunately, probably not far off. It's probably cheaper to get your husband an Uber account and let them drive him (only half kidding, a lot of folks where I live are doing this for their high school kids rather than getting them a car).

I definitely don't think he's being a PITA. Plus he mentioned "quick sale" which means a lower price. To put this in perspective, most new cars lose 20% of their value in the first year, and a lot of that is in the first few months of the first year, especially when you buy at the transition to a new MY. You're looking at that plus the $7500 tax credit.

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
Keep the volt, or give it to a family member. It's too nice of a car to sell at this point.

1,214 Posts
You've raised the seat to maximum height, and still no go?
I was composing the same question when I saw your post, Slapshot28.

With so many clueless sales staffs at all brands of Electric Car OEM Dealers Dog Mom may not of discovered the seat raising ratchets and their resulting hieght.

So, Dog Mom, have you raised the passenger seat ALL THE WAY UP?

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

517-749-0532

Twitter.com/AmazingChevVolt

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Raising the seat on a low roof line car can make the issue worse for a person with limited mobility. We've been dealing with this issue with a wheelchair bound family member for the last 10 years. A-piller grab handles are mandatory.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Ten weeks ago I paid over $36,000.
Be prepared to lose your federal tax credit too if you sell it. Can you afford to keep it and get a secondary vehicle? If not you're possibly in for a $10k+ loss (maybe more if you also have a state rebate). Best bet is to run to the dealer where you bought it and see what they can do.

Try to find another option. Trading cars with a family member as suggested might be better. Just don't trade titles before tax time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive been looking around for loaded Volts for about a month or so(got to sell my car first). Someone just bout a used/demo loaded 2013 for $24.4k with 800 miles and near me there has been a 2013 on Craigslist for about a month for $25K with 5k miles. I would try Carmax first (they have a 2013 with 6k miles asking $30k). If it was me I would post it online minus the tax rebates for a month or 2 to start but I will say certain color/package combos seem to not last as long as others.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dogmom, Sorry to hear that your new Volt no longer meets your needs. After the IRS tax credit and the USAA discount, you won't be in bad shape. At least you can say you owned the world's most advanced car! :cool:

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Be prepared to lose your federal tax credit too if you sell it. Can you afford to keep it and get a secondary vehicle? If not you're possibly in for a $10k+ loss (maybe more if you also have a state rebate). Best bet is to run to the dealer where you bought it and see what they can do.
I don't see why she would lose her tax credit. She clearly didn't buy the Volt with the intent of reselling it. Stuff happens.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You're a car dealer in California. I'm talking about a private sale in Ohio. Ten weeks ago I paid over $36,000.

Are you selling 2014 Volts with 2,600 miles on them for $23,000 at your dealership, Winchipper???
Don't be mad at him, he is just answering the question you asked to the best of his knowledge. I know it's not the answer you want to hear but he might be right especially now that the 2016 Volt teaser pictures have been released.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts