GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks so much, Chevy Volt…

After driving you, exclusively, for the last few weeks, got in my wife’s Jeep Latitude for a long-haul drive with too much stuff for you to carry.

I used to think the Latitude was a great, quite, powerful vehicle. I loved driving it. Now, thanks to you, it’s a noisy, thumping vehicle that downshifts annoyingly on steeper hills. It doesn’t even turn itself off at the lights!

Way to go… Ruining the experience.

Sheesh!

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
lol. I'm never going back to "the good old days" before the Volt.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premium, Purchased March 2019, 57k miles
21 Posts
I have Chevy Cruze rental while my Volt is in the shop and the hesitancy in acceleration followed by way too much power and a screaming engine is hugely annoying.

Although, now that the weather is getting cooler, it IS kind of nice to use the heater without worrying about range!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have Chevy Cruze rental while my Volt is in the shop and the hesitancy in acceleration followed by way too much power and a screaming engine is hugely annoying.

Although, now that the weather is getting cooler, it IS kind of nice to use the heater without worrying about range!
Well, if you were willing to pay for the inefficiency of how you get the heat in the Chevy Cruze, then you should have no problem getting heat from your Volt. What you see depends through which end of the telescope you look. <grins>

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
LMAO, I drove my grand daughters new to her 2015 Malibu with 4 banger. WOW forgot how bad and ICE really is after 10 years of Volt ownership. Even my Colorado with 2.8 liter 4 banger and 5 speed was smoother than that. I did notice after taking the Malibu in for service that it was smoother after the transmission service.

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Stop flooring the Cruze, GM cars and others are designed to give nice acceleration when the pedal is pushed no more than 2/3 down.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I always figured that the Cruz was a Volt with an EV upgrade and a really fat ass! Damn was a big butt, but I love her still.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my Volt for around 93k, and 4 years. I still have a hate / love relationship with my Volt. The electric is awesome, but the touch controls are unusable without looking down, the factory stereo is garbage, and I can't get rid of it. The emergency brake is not useable in an emergency. The software frequently crashes and resets. Because the driver's window regulator is broken, it dings for the first 30 minutes every drive, and the car automatically unlocks every time you try to lock the car. If the key runs out of battery THE WORLD ENDS to the car. It gets stuck in 2 inches of snow. I have to hit 5 buttons every time I start the car, shut off the traction control, turn off the headlights, turn on sport mode, put it in low. On-star is 40 lbs of boat-anchor that I can't get rid of. I have a countdown until the volt dies (only 51k until it gets painted purple because my kid wants it, and 151k until it goes away).

The electric system is amazing, the hybrid motor is great, GM stopped developing the car after that.

I do miss my Manual, with crank windows, with a double din radio that I can replace. All I want is a car that I can turn on, is reliable, and I can update during the 15 years I own it.

I really like the way it transports my kid safely and easily, and the 90mpg, so I drive it every day to work. I will buy another electric, but I don't want one with a giant f'n LCD wart out of the middle of the console.

My boss bought a tesla, less than a year ago, and my wife bought an I3. Both of the cars are already aging... and are disposable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do miss my Manual, with crank windows, with a double din radio that I can replace. All I want is a car that I can turn on, is reliable, and I can update during the 15 years I own it.
May I suggest a 1950s-era Jeepster! ;]

I'll agree the technology is a little overwhelming but almost all new cars are so interconnected with themselves that it's stupid. I don't mind the touch countrols. Don't listed to the radio. Never use the emergency brake. Have yet to have a software reset. I ignore OnStar. The dinging window would bug the h#ll out of me, that's for sure.

All the same...
When you buy the Jeepster. If the guy has two, let me know. I'd love to use a screwdriver to adjust a carb once more before I die.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Definitely bought the wrong car. So sad. All those modern conveniences and safety features that need to be turned off to make the car enough less than it is to get back those feelings of control, in an world spiraling to a place where maybe fools are saved from themselves by engineering.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I have a Volt with no problems, its only option is Bose sound system. Works great. No problems with control buttons but you only have to take your eyes of the road for a second, not a problem with the light traffic, the biggest problem would be a deer that unexpectedly comes out onto the road. People here complain of the three block traffic jam at "rush hour" and demand a ring road (not going to happen). I did strip the oil drain plug head the other day when I said I wasn't going to (really soft metal), going to pick up a new aftermarket one soon and complete the job. Really dumb to put that small a head on it but I guess that was so the ham fisted mechanics wouldn't over tighten it. The only other complaint is it honks the horn if I get out of the car to do something without turning it off but I guess that's the trade off for warning you you forgot to turn it off when you leave the car going shopping. No back pains after 45 minutes (like the Integra) but I've only driven it 1.5 hours to the airport so far.

Reactions: jbakerjonathan

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
And basically nothing on that panel of featureless buttons is really urgent. It's what's playing on the radio and climate controls and configuration menus and navigation. Stuff that you might want to actually do blind are on buttons that DO have touch-location ability, like "slide my palm up this way until the base of my index finger is that corner then the mode button is naturally under my thumb" or "hook my thumb in the other corner, and door lock buttons are where my middle finger falls.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Save your money for a Ford 150 lightning ,perfect match for the Volt with 300 miles range and some more "room"... you just have to wait till 2022 !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts