GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Volt last week. Whenever it is charging, my dog will not go near it. He is used to our electric yard fence which makes a tone (high pitched) when he gets near it. He certainly acts like he is hearing something from the Volt. I haven't noticed him to be bothered by it when it is not plugged in. I don't hear any audible sounds. My daughter says she can hear a faint, high pitched noise when the car is charging.

Has anyone else experienced this? Again, it's not when the car is turned on, apparently only when charging.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If this is true, then I welcome it. I don't want dogs near my car. :p

My previous car was damaged pretty bad when a couple of dogs tried to get at a cat that was sleeping on the tire.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Since we keep our Volt in the garage; no experience with dogs there! However, when in motion, when we would visit our daughter with the previous gas-engine car or pick-up, a pesky little dog would chase our vehicles for 200 yards, yapping while running next to the front tire the whole way - - dozens of times, never missed it it was outside, even 50 feet from the road. But, the one time that we've drove by the house with out quiet Volt, when the dog was standing on the road, the dog stood by the side of the road and stared at the Volt - - it literally did not know what to do, it just took a couple steps and stopped - - it was wonderful! I hope this will always be the situation!

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I would guess a Smell over a sound problem.

Turn it off -no charge cable - wait 10 mins and try the dog again.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Since we keep our Volt in the garage; no experience with dogs there! However, when in motion, when we would visit our daughter with the previous gas-engine car or pick-up, a pesky little dog would chase our vehicles for 200 yards, yapping while running next to the front tire the whole way - - dozens of times, never missed it it was outside, even 50 feet from the road. But, the one time that we've drove by the house with out quiet Volt, when the dog was standing on the road, the dog stood by the side of the road and stared at the Volt - - it literally did not know what to do, it just took a couple steps and stopped - - it was wonderful! I hope this will always be the situation!
This could be an awesome commercial! An ordinary car goes by, dog chasing, then another and another. Then a Volt passes and the dog has a puzzled look, head cocked to one side... Perfect anti-ad to the New Beetle ad. Ha!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I think the domestic animals are recognizing something different with only tire noise going by. I know the first month I had my VOLT a neighbor up the street had their dog with them and just as I was about to pass by them the dog ran across the street to it's home. Now I was watching for the dog as I approached it was and good thing as I hit the brakes to avoid hitting the dog that just came out running right in front of the VOLT. In fact it was only a few feet from my bumper as I was only going about 15 mpg when I was planning to pass them. I often thought how that dog likely never heard a "car" coming so it was darting unconcerned. Now this neighbor has a big pickup truck so the dog is used to noise. I never noticed it to be a problem before driving my conventional car for years past their house with their dog outside.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
It is possible the charging inverter emits a high frequency sound that humans can't hear... But the dog can hear. it's not going to hurt anything. It's just a sound that the dog is unfamiliar with.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've noticed the deer treat this car differently than most. Often they just stand there frozen by the roadside, instead of waiting till the last second and leaping in front of the car, like they usually did with my other cars. Remember, that inverter is running while driving too.
I have also had them get out in the road and run alongside it for fairly long distances, like it was another animal, something they didn't do with my conventional cars. It's fun!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I still have sensitivity to high-pitched sounds, I can definitely hear a high-pitched whine coming from the Volt whenever I drive it - the same sort that you get with old-school cathode ray televisions and computer monitors when they're on and running. I think it's pretty faint when "off" and charging, but maybe it's just too high-pitched. I was thinking of mentioning it, but I don't know if the GM engineers would appreciate thinking about noise that they can't hear themselves... :p

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've noticed the deer treat this car differently than most. Often they just stand there frozen by the roadside, instead of waiting till the last second and leaping in front of the car, like they usually did with my other cars. Remember, that inverter is running while driving too.
I have also had them get out in the road and run alongside it for fairly long distances, like it was another animal, something they didn't do with my conventional cars. It's fun!
I wouldn't count on this I had different results with Deer cost $2700 took hood and left headlight so quick you could not blink. Our little dog does not care if car is plugged in or not, open the door and she is in.

·
Registered
101 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts