GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would create a new thread that gets straight to the point for new comers. Will the TMS operate when the Volt is not plugged in to cool or heat the battery depending on temperature? I was watching the temperature video on the Chevrolet website and it stated "When the outside is scorching hot the Volts battery needs cooling so it automatically uses some of its electric power to cool the battery but you may experience a little less EV range". This is when the Volt is being driven but does not mention anything about the TMS operation if it works when the vehicle is parked in a hot or cold parking lot and not plugged in. Maybe someone can clear this up if the TMS will or will not work if its not plugged in.

·
Registered
200 Posts
From what I've seen here, the battery will use some of its charge to keep itself cool/warm (depending on external temperature) if its charge is over 50% to help extend its lifetime. After that, the battery's temperature will not affect it as much.

Plugged-in or not, the Volt will not start the engine to aid in warming the battery if the vehicle is off.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I have these wrong. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at table here:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ent-system-temperature-band&p=48601#post48601

For your question, basically if parked & not plugged in, it runs if it's hot & the battery is close to full.
Thank's for the useful link Stephent. This clears my questions up. Although some people say the TMS will operate to cool the battery when not plugged in only when the battery is over 50% SOC but the grid indicates it will operate at over 75% of charge so I am not sure which is correct. I am going to stick with 75% unless GM say otherwise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts