GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Volt can't charge at Level 3 but I can't find a clear answer regarding the connector. I believe a Level 2 & 3 connector is the same except for the extra connector at the bottom. The top round part looks the same. Can a public level 3 charger work at level 2 output/speed?

·
Super Moderator
6,279 Posts
I know the Volt can't charge at Level 3 but I can't find a clear answer regarding the connector. I believe a Level 2 & 3 connector is the same except for the extra connector at the bottom. The top round part looks the same. Can a public level 3 charger work at level 2 output/speed?
I don't understand your questions. The two DC plugs would bump into the area under the standard J1772 plug and it would not engage.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I missed the obvious. I was thinking that maybe the bottom part would go underneath but there's no room. Sort of like the opposite of how the L3 on the Bolt works. Either way, this can be deleted.

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
My understanding is that the CCS charger doesn't use the L2 power connections in the top part of the plug. It uses the two data lines for communications between the car and EVSE system.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My understanding is that the CCS charger doesn't use the L2 power connections in the top part of the plug. It uses the two data lines for communications between the car and EVSE system.
A major difference is that L3 is DC and L2 is AC that is the input to the vehicle.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As with many "standards", the newer equipment must be compatible with the older equipment, but not in reverse. The Chevy Bolt EV, and other newer EVs, can use both the simpler Level 1 and 2 SAE J1772 plug connectors, but have the socket for the Level 3 DC plug connection. So the Chevy Bolt EV can be charged at any of these three Levels.

The Chevy Volt with a smaller battery, does not merit the extra cost of Level 3. But I bet some EE will find a way to access the DC lines inside the Volt and add DC charging. In theory, the Volt does allow DC charging since the motor/generator does that during regeneration and gas engine "range extending". Probably just attaching new cables and a new connector will be the solution , although voiding all GM warranties. Even other hybrids, such as the Chevy Malibu, can be modified the same way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts