GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to hit 36K miles on my 2017 Volt and ready to go out of Warranty.

My impression of dealer knowledge on the Volt is less than enthusiastic as I find myself teaching the service personnel how the car works.

Because of that, I pose the question as to whether there are periodic software/firmware updates that should be performed by the dealer? I have asked at the dealer, but am never sure they know. Thanks

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I am ready to hit 36K miles on my 2017 Volt and ready to go out of Warranty.

My impression of dealer knowledge on the Volt is less than enthusiastic as I find myself teaching the service personnel how the car works.

Because of that, I pose the question as to whether there are periodic software/firmware updates that should be performed by the dealer? I have asked at the dealer, but am never sure they know. Thanks
The dealer will check the GM database, only apply those software updates that are for your Volt's VIN. There could be two outwardly identical 2017 Volts but depending on what parts were used during assembly and the software versions that were installed at the factory some updates may only apply to one of the cars.

Software updates generally take 30 - 60 minutes each to apply so you may want to plan for the vehicle being with the service department for several hours if you are getting the oil changed, tires rotated and allow time for any needed software updates. This happened to me one time, they kept the car for an additional 90 minutes that I had not planned on so they could apply software updates.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Because of that, I pose the question as to whether there are periodic software/firmware updates that should be performed by the dealer?
Not like we'd want. GM appears to be sticking to the same plan here that they do for any other (less programmed) car. Firmware updates only for recalls and silent recalls.

The infotainment system can get some over-the-air updates, but the system is still buggy. Those don't come like we'd want/expect either. This car is definitely NOT a Tesla.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
GM will apply updates if you have a problem you know of that needs fixing. They will not just apply all of the latest updates. You can apply all the updates yourself with VCX nano and an ACDelco subscription.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not like we'd want. GM appears to be sticking to the same plan here that they do for any other (less programmed) car. Firmware updates only for recalls and silent recalls.

The infotainment system can get some over-the-air updates, but the system is still buggy. Those don't come like we'd want/expect either. This car is definitely NOT a Tesla.
Yet, the OTA is only for 2019 volts, isn't it?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yet, the OTA is only for 2019 volts, isn't it?
Late 2017, 2018, and 2019 with the third (or later) revision of the head unit. If you have the 'App Marketplace' app on your infotainment screen then you would have access to the OTA functionality but don't expect much more than simple app updates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts