GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you can just keep driving as long as the generator is running? Theoretically cross country.

I know it may sound like a dumb question - it MAY IN FACT BE a dumb question. Perhaps the BMW is a wee bit different in this regard than our Volts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
you can just keep driving as long as the generator is running? Theoretically cross country.

I know it may sound like a dumb question - it MAY IN FACT BE a dumb question. Perhaps the BMW is a wee bit different in this regard than our Volts.
VOLT DOESNT HAVE FASTCHARGING AND I3 AS TINY ICE MOTOR

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

Yes, kinda... As I recall, the range extender is basically a motor cycle engine with about 75 miles of gas range. So, yes, you just keep driving, but not far before needing to fill up again (and again and again).

·
Administrator
20,874 Posts
The i3 range extender is basically for emergency use (think spare tire) rather than for extended use like the Volt's gas engine. The i3 gas tank holds what, 2.4 gals compared to 9.3 for my 2011 Volt.

Reactions: p7wang and TYmrLutz

·
Registered
803 Posts
Sort of. The i3 has what is effectively a motorcycle engine as the range extender. It can be used in a manner similar to the Volt with the following (important) caveats:

1. The gas tank only holds around 2 gallons of gas. That means A LOT of refueling along the way.

2. The ICE is not powerful enough to strong enough to provide full power on its own. It has to use a little battery as well. If the battery is depleted, the car will struggle to maintain high speeds. Think of it as climbing a mountain in the Volt without first having used mountain mode to build up a buffer - except all the time.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Everything mentioned above plus:
1. i3 is rear wheel drive and handles like any short rear wheel drive vehicle. It's going to be more tail happy in inclement weather.
2. It has large 19" wheels with a firm ride that tends to hop and crash over rough pavement.
3. It always operate on one pedal mode and brake aggressively when you let your foot of the throttle.
4. The two rear doors can only open when the front doors are open.
5. It had a slightly longer electric range but a very tiny gas tank for the generator. Unlike the Volt, i3 gas engine can not engage the drive wheels at all even at high speed. In essence it has less than 1/2 the range of the Volt.
6. The body is covered with composite material so it's not prone to door ding as much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unlike the Volt, the i3 was not designed for long distance driving. The 'Range Extender' is really meant as a backup in case your forget to charge, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I think saying the Volt is more sophisticated or complex sums it up. The ICE can contribute some torque to the wheels in some situations and the range on gas is more comparable to regular gas cars. The i3 obviously has better pure electric range./

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think saying the Volt is more sophisticated or complex sums it up. The ICE can contribute some torque to the wheels in some situations and the range on gas is more comparable to regular gas cars. The i3 obviously has better pure electric range./
Well, now there's the Nissan E-Power where there is no link of the wheels to the engine at all. It's basically a PHEV with a build in generator. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts