1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am a big fan of BEVs for many reasons. And yes, I know I'll have to have a back-up gasser for the 5% of my driving that goes beyond 75 miles of all electric range.

Anyhow, we Dodge unveiled the Zeo I actually emailed them with my thoughts. I don't recall the web address but a link below may get you a response. I was shocked at the feedback I received from my feedback. Chrysler seemed genuinely interested in my enthusiasm for a BEV that met the specs of the Zeo. I know production is a LONG SHOT, but they did not shoot me down completely. I like the Volt, but GM still has to compete for my business, and frankly, the videos on the net of the Zeo were very impressive.

https://www.chryslerllc.com/en/chrysler_listens/?hrf=www.chryslerlistens.com

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
That concept will probably fair even worse in the wind tunnel, so don't fall in love with it. At this point in battery technology, if it ain't an E-REV, I'm not interested.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That concept will probably fair even worse in the wind tunnel, so don't fall in love with it. At this point in battery technology, if it ain't an E-REV, I'm not interested.
Don't know how you have information to back that up other than a WAG, but I'm listening.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Don't know how you have information to back that up other than a WAG, but I'm listening.
Sure it's a WAG, because there aren't any CD info on either concept, but just look at the two side by side. Those large fender flairs on the front and rear do nothing but add drag. The two big openings in front of both front wheels add nothing but drag. The air ducts in front of the back wheels, well, you guessed it, adds drag.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great looking concept, I wish we could get an EV that looks like this, but it's not very aerodynamic. A body like this works fine when you have 500hp under the hood, but with an electric motor and battery pack, this design will rob you of potential range. Again, just hold the two concepts up side by side and you can see that the Zeo is not as slick to the wind as the Volt, and if the Volt isn't good enough to go 40 miles on a charge causing GM to go back to the drawing board, then I can only assume the Zeo concept as it stands now can never meet it's proposed goals as an all EV.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sure it's a WAG, because there aren't any CD info on either concept, but just look at the two side by side. Those large fender flairs on the front and rear do nothing but add drag. The two big openings in front of both front wheels add nothing but drag. The air ducts in front of the back wheels, well, you guessed it, adds drag.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great looking concept, I wish we could get an EV that looks like this, but it's not very aerodynamic. A body like this works fine when you have 500hp under the hood, but with an electric motor and battery pack, this design will rob you of potential range. Again, just hold the two concepts up side by side and you can see that the Zeo is not as slick to the wind as the Volt, and if the Volt isn't good enough to go 40 miles on a charge causing GM to go back to the drawing board, then I can only assume the Zeo concept as it stands now can never meet it's proposed goals as an all EV.
The more competitors we can get to jump into the fray, the cheaper these things will be for the consumer. I'm waiting for Chrysler's "big announcement" for the EV realm because as of yet, I've heard of nothing. Every other major is at least dabbling in them (except maybe Honda). One more American company in the fight would be even better.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I whole hearted agree. Love to see Ford take a stab at it too.
Funny that you should mention Ford. I suspect their sale of Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata Motors in India for $2 billion was to fund fuel cell, EV and/or E-REV platform development programs. They've been very silent on the subject of ZEV's, so I suspect they are behind the 8 ball.

As for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep / Eagle, until a larger automaker buys them up, I am not holding my breathe on any of their products. Perhaps Ford will purchase one of their product lines? or GM? or Toyota?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Funny that you should mention Ford. I suspect their sale of Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata Motors in India for $2 billion was to fund fuel cell, EV and/or E-REV platform development programs. They've been very silent on the subject of ZEV's, so I suspect they are behind the 8 ball.

As for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep / Eagle, until a larger automaker buys them up, I am not holding my breathe on any of their products. Perhaps Ford will purchase one of their product lines? or GM? or Toyota?
Ford owns Volvo, which has the Recharge. They're already in the EV game. Let's hope to hell they don't waste their money on fool cells. As for Chrysler, if they want to survive, they must evolve. EVs are an opportunity and the Zeo is one possibility. A little late perhaps, but not too late.

·
3,689 Posts
From what I hear Ford looks to surprise everyone very soon. I believe they will have a carbon fiber PHEV concept out soon that will blow people away. It will be very light and fuel efficient. I think they are so committed to this concept that they are keeping as quiet as possible. The new CEO at ford is the ex CEO from Boeing, Alan Mulally. Boeing's latest creation, the dreamliner, is mostly carbon fiber. The resulting reduction of weight saves approximately 20% on fuel costs. Anyway, the guy has been there for 2 years already and we should see something from the fruits of his labor in the next two or three years.

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/5553.html

I think they are trying to implement as many as the Rocky Mountain Institute's concepts as possible. I hope so because we need many competitors for the EV game to work. If it's true that this hyper-car variant is coming out I will seriously consider buying one. It's hard to argue with the light, strong and aerodynamic concept. One might have to do a more complete financial analysis to justify the extra initial cost but I will support the new technology, even at premium pricing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
From what I hear Ford looks to surprise everyone very soon. I believe they will have a carbon fiber PHEV concept out soon that will blow people away. It will be very light and fuel efficient. I think they are so committed to this concept that they are keeping as quiet as possible. The new CEO at ford is the ex CEO from Boeing, Alan Mulally. Boeing's latest creation, the dreamliner, is mostly carbon fiber. The resulting reduction of weight saves approximately 20% on fuel costs. Anyway, the guy has been there for 2 years already and we should see something from the fruits of his labor in the next two or three years.

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/5553.html
I like to think you're right about a top secret PHEV from one of the US automakers (Ford or Chrysler), but I won't hold my breath...

·
3,689 Posts
The cars you are referring to that are on the road are just mules. Do you seriously think Ford can compete with other manufacturers that are completely redesigning their platforms with a 10 year old design? I hope you were joking! I believe the mules are just getting the systems qualified. Those qualified systems will be inserted into a new high technology platform. Ford, please do this. It really is the time to pull out all stops and reach for the stars. If you don't it will take years to catch up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This concept will probably be only worse in the wind tunnel, so do not fall for it. At this stage of the battery technology, but a E-REV, I'm not interested.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Carbon fiber might be light, but it is certainly not cheap. I don't know how they could build an affordable production car for the masses that way but it's great that the manufacturers are moving forward, every way possible. Sooner or later they come up with the best possible combinations....ie: the Volt at this point in automotive history.
Ultra efficient, affordable, personal transportation, should be Americas new Apollo Lunar Mission !

Steve in Boca Raton #313

1 - 16 of 16 Posts