GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago a front tire went flat so I called OnStar at 9:00 AM. After a completely wasted day of moronic tow companies not showing on time or not showing at all, I finally got my car out of the dealership at 5 PM with a bill about $40 more than every other local independent tire store quoted. Of course you're stuck because OnStar will only arrange a 'free' tow to the nearest dealership. I did receive two 'canned' letters (no salutation or personal signature) of deepest apology from an Onstar manager for the inconvenience and my time being wasted all isn't worth anything is it? I felt sooo much better - NOT.

I never received a notice about the December 12, 2014 liftgate recall until an email from OnStar appeared today, Feb. 16, 2015. I drove directly to the dealer at 8:15 AM and was 2nd in line. I was greeted promptly and waited for a service advisor. A new Camaro pulls in behind me and then a fellow in a Silverado pickup. After a few minutes the Camaro pulls into the unoccupied left service lane and an attractive young woman gets out of the car. After waiting 15 minutes the Service Manager has a conversation with a second service advisor (SA) who then walks right past me and writes up the Silverado. The first SA finishes with the Spark in front of me and then walks over to the Camaro and starts writing her up. So the 3rd and 4th cars get written up before me as 2nd in line?

When the Spark in front of me got driven to the bays I just drove through, turned around, stopped the 2nd SA, told him what just happened and he apologized saying the Manager told him to take the Silverado and Camaro before me. I feel so appreciated as a Chevy Volt lessee visiting for a factory recall issue.

Maybe I'll get another letter of apology from someone at OnStar now that I'm posting this on the Forum?

Before my 2014 Volt the last Chevy I had was in 1976. Come 2017 at lease end I don't think I'll be in the market for another Chevy or any other GM car for that matter. Poor new car delivery orientation, online dealership OnStar registration failure, liars in finance dept., no sales followup with other potential customers I brought to the showroom and these service issues - one bad experience after another.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sounds more like an individual dealer issue and not a Chevrolet issue. Crappy service can be had from any company. My particular dealer goes out of their way to treat me well.

If you truly cannot find a good Chevrolet dealer, then I guess avoiding Chevy is the answer. I know there are good dealers out their, however. I have used a few.

Perhaps if you were wearing a miniskirt... :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Obviously the dealer you went to doesn't care about either you or the Volt. I'd pick another dealer. I don't feel the same love or appreciation for being a Chevy Volt owner up here as I did in Miami. So I do understand your inclination to not get another GM product. Unlike you I have very few alternative dealers to choose from. That feeling has kept me from getting my Volt serviced at the dealer. I use another local shop for non-warranty stuff.

Regarding the price - yep - dealers are known for costing you more for tires and services than independent places. I have AAA - they will take you places other than the dealer. The number of times we have used them for things (flat tire, lockout, breakdown towing, Hotel rooms, trip tiks, amusement discounts, etc...) more than pays for the membership. Also, AAA has a tire service, they will get and put the tire on for you on the side of the road or at your house... They give you the total price before they come out too. I don't work for AAA or have stock in them - but I Have had them for 24 years or so. Just passing on why I think they still have value.

I have owned at least 10 different car manufacturers vehicles. Some dealer are good, others not so much. Only one have I had horrific service at multiple dealers (and the regional rep) that I will never get that brand again. Mainly, I don't like being lied to. And then when caught, lied to again, and then they got caught again and again. At least when they lied to the state it cost them.

I will say that I was having an issue with a dealer and the Volt. The Volt Advisor stepped in and the repair was done under warranty. In addition, a re-repair went from another adjustment to a replacement of the defective part.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds more like an individual dealer issue and not a Chevrolet issue. Crappy service can be had from any company. My particular dealer goes out of their way to treat me well. If you truly cannot find a good Chevrolet dealer, then I guess avoiding Chevy is the answer. I know there are good dealers out their, however. I have used a few. Perhaps if you were wearing a miniskirt... :)
I found OnStar Roadside Assistance to be atrocious. Perhaps I'm getting too intolerant in my 'old' age - lol ...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Well, just draw a line between the *management* that sets *policies*, and the people that deliver the service they are authorized to. Either can have poor execution. Cute blonde getting served first? Why I've never heard of young men doing such a thing! ;)

In any event: I have had both excellent and poor service from my Chevy dealer. Learn how to work the system, find the critical people to be nice to and they will champion your issue from the inside. They should know your name or at least recognize your face. If you cold call with a problem - give them reason to prioritize you over a blonde in a more expensive car.

Summary: Welcome to exactly why Elon Musk doesn't want dealerships to be in between the customer and, well, his company. I know several people that have Tesla and somebody there would get fired over your experience. Here - it is the same all over. Ford, Toyota, you name it. That is how the system works.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
A new Camaro pulls in behind me and then a fellow in a Silverado pickup. After a few minutes the Camaro pulls into the unoccupied left service lane and an attractive young woman gets out of the car. After waiting 15 minutes the Service Manager has a conversation with a second service advisor (SA) who then walks right past me and writes up the Silverado. The first SA finishes with the Spark in front of me and then walks over to the Camaro and starts writing her up. So the 3rd and 4th cars get written up before me as 2nd in line?
No, the hot chick gets written up before you. Hot chicks get all kinds of perks, for nothing other than being hot.

First day on Earth?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The dealer does sound poor, though do we know all the facts? Is it possible the cars behind you had an appointment? That could explain why the attendant was directed to write them up first (they were on the appointment list). I would never just show up cold at a dealer unless the car was not drive-able. Always best to make an appointment for something minor like the liftgate recall.

I was "lucky" when I got a flat. It would lose around 1 psi / minute (TPMS makes this easy to monitor, thankfully). So I was able to drive to a tire shop by filling up the tire every 10 minutes or so on the way at gas stations. They were able to patch it, so only a few hours out of my day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are you anywhere near Harford County?

Not too impressed with my local dealer so far and I do have plenty of options. I've been to two so far. Hoping not to have to drive around trying to find a dealer that treats customers decent. At least the last one somewhat proactively ordered the recalled liftgate struts.

Ideally i'd stay out of the dealership entirely but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon:rolleyes: I guess that's what i signed up for.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer does sound poor, though do we know all the facts? Is it possible the cars behind you had an appointment? That could explain why the attendant was directed to write them up first (they were on the appointment list). I would never just show up cold at a dealer unless the car was not drive-able. Always best to make an appointment for something minor like the liftgate recall.

I was "lucky" when I got a flat. It would lose around 1 psi / minute (TPMS makes this easy to monitor, thankfully). So I was able to drive to a tire shop by filling up the tire every 10 minutes or so on the way at gas stations. They were able to patch it, so only a few hours out of my day.
Appointments? BS, I'm already inconvenienced for an issue of component failure for a factory recall

My flat was a sidewall slit so 40 psi to 0 psi in 15 seconds .... no spare and call OnStar - 8 hours later...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Personal rant here.

Why do people enter such vague locations in their profiles? Somewhere? United States?

You'd be surprised how helpful we can be if you give a hint of where you live. Why so paranoid?

End of rant.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Appointments? BS, I'm already inconvenienced for an issue of component failure for a factory recall
You think appointments are an inconvenience for you? The sooner you learn they are the opposite of that, the sooner you'll have better experiences at the dealer.

·
Administrator
20,155 Posts
I always make an appointment and show up early. Never had a problem. However, if I were to simply show up, I would not be surprised if those with an appointment get taken care of before me. But, if I felt I was being ignored, I'd speak up then and there, rather than the passive aggressive approach of saying nothing and then posting my upset feelings here.

Every car I have owned has had at least one factory part replacement/recall. Yes I'd rather every car was perfect, but they aren't. The strut replacement was not urgent or life threatening in my opinion. Schedule it for when it's the least hassle, that's what I did. I also made sure they had the replacement parts before making the appointment and taking the car in.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Do Chevy dealers care about Volt owners? Mine does. They care about me when I bring in my Silverado too. Is there some distinction between the two?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The new wave is appointments... I do like that aspect. Not just with GM - but everyone is doing that. Obviously if you have a problem that is keeping you off the road it doesn't work well though. And yes, I called on one of those and I got the, we can fight you in next tuesday... Then I just show up...

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
You think appointments are an inconvenience for you? The sooner you learn they are the opposite of that, the sooner you'll have better experiences at the dealer.
This is correct and true.
I'm almost certain Service Advisor Question 1 would have been "Do you have and appointment" as that is SOP during the service booking process. The "cute blonde" likely answered "Yes, of course!" (so much for stereotypes ;) )
It's as simple as that

While I am sorry to hear about the OPs bad experience regarding the flat tire (everybody hates getting a flat tire, which really isn't a warranty issue but it still got repaired- SAME DAY) I really have no sympathy for "self-imposed" time and inconvenience here with respect to the strut campaign visit.

Here is what is stated word-for-word in the owner letter for the strut campaign

"What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair. By scheduling an appointment, your dealer can ensure that the necessary parts will be available on your scheduled appointment date."

This wording is used specifically to try to limit any customer inconvenience due to the implementation of a campaign/recall process. Nowhere does it state to take your car to a dealership.

If someone chooses to contact their dealer in-person that is their prerogative but it is very likely they will not be able to fit them into their service schedule "same day" and/or may not have the campaign parts on-hand for anyone other than those with appointments made previously.

WOT

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is correct and true. I'm almost certain Service Advisor Question 1 would have been "Do you have and appointment" as that is SOP during the service booking process. The "cute blonde" likely answered "Yes, of course!" (so much for stereotypes ;) ) It's as simple as that

While I am sorry to hear about the OPs bad experience regarding the flat tire (everybody hates getting a flat tire, which really isn't a warranty issue but it still got repaired- SAME DAY) I really have no sympathy for "self-imposed" time and inconvenience here with respect to the strut campaign visit. Here is what is stated word-for-word in the owner letter for the strut campaign: "What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair. By scheduling an appointment, your dealer can ensure that the necessary parts will be available on your scheduled appointment date." This wording is used specifically to try to limit any customer inconvenience due to the implementation of a campaign/recall process. Nowhere does it state to take your car to a dealership.

If someone chooses to contact their dealer in-person that is their prerogative but it is very likely they will not be able to fit them into their service schedule "same day" and/or may not have the campaign parts on-hand for anyone other than those with appointments made previously.
WOT
Okay, now I'll rant:

I never got a letter about the strut campaign ... I got an email TODAY two months after the campaign started.

Sorry, but the service manager NEVER asked me if I had an appointment and I told him I was there about the strut recall. Had he said they might not have the parts or they were busy already or suggested that I call for an appointment that would have been a different story but that was not the case. Just let me sit there for 15 or 20 minutes - really?

WOT, I don't know where you live but in a metropolitan area of 20 million people it shouldn't take four phone calls to OnStar and seven hours to get a tow truck when I was 2 miles from the dealer. Yeah, once the car got to the dealer it took about an hour. I really don't have time or desire to get cocked around for 8 hours over a tire. Who would pay for OnStar service after this kind of experience?

Okay, Miller time now... :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Answer has already been given. Find another dealer. With 20 million people there has to be more than ONE Chevy dealer in your area.

I JUST got my letter about the strut recall if that makes you feel better... And I just got a call from my original local dealer about it, one that is 5200 miles away.

Enjoy your beer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
...The strut replacement was not urgent or life threatening in my opinion. Schedule it for when it's the least hassle, that's what I did. I also made sure they had the replacement parts before making the appointment and taking the car in.
I tried that but was told by the service adviser on the phone that the Volt tech would have to check the strut part numbers on the car to verify that they needed replacement. When I got to the dealer, was told by a different service adviser that GM requires them to get the VIN and mileage before the replacement struts can be ordered under warranty coverage. The part numbers of the existing struts were not even checked, contrary to what the first service adviser said on the phone. The new struts have now been ordered and I will have to return to the dealer again when the parts come in.

It's crap like this that drives people away from GM!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I wonder if those who expect perfection from every person at every dealer would live up to their own expectations if the roles were reversed. It really goes beyond a sense of entitlement sometimes. I don't know what perfect world some live in that they have to step out of when a dealer visit is called for, but apparently it's quite a shock to join the rest of us in the real world.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Answer has already been given. Find another dealer. With 20 million people there has to be more than ONE Chevy dealer in your area. I JUST got my letter about the strut recall if that makes you feel better... And I just got a call from my original local dealer about it, one that is 5200 miles away. Enjoy your beer.
Yeah, I can drive 100 miles round trip and burn some Dino juice as there's only one dealer within AER service area :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts