GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I know dealer installed undercoating is a major ripoff, I have a friend that uses a local guy to coat the base of his vehicles with oil (bar and chain oil). His 07 truck has little to no rust and he can remove bolts at any time with no issues. At 10 years most of my vehicles are rusting out from under me with the manufacturers dip process. My question is for those in the northern climates where snow and salt gets used on roads. In an effort to prolong the life of your vehicles, what method do you use? Oil? Weekly wash? something else?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Oil-based undercoat is largely unused these days. Modern anti-corrosion methods pretty much make these treatments unnecessary.

Washing with undercarriage spray is a good way to get max life.

Most places use non-salt road treatment anyway.

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
Run, do not walk away from aftermarket rustproofing. Spend the money on a clear bra treatment instead. It actually does some good.

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used Krown undercoating on my truck for the last 7 years. It has zero rust and any bolt I have to remove comes off super easy and isn't rusted on.

I live in MI and they dump the salt on the roads here. Compare to my wifes 6 year old car which hasn't had Krown or any undercoating and it is rusing from the inside out.

It's kind of made me a believer. This isn't some rubberized undercoating but an actual oily based spray. So far I think it's worth the yearly or so cost to have it done.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Most places use non-salt road treatment anyway.
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but here in snow country, everything is salt based.

As for rust proofing, I live in southern NH, and have little to no rust on the bottom of my Volt. I try to hit a car wash with underbody cleaning any time the temp gets above freezing.
The rust proofing they use now seems to be a lot better than on older vehicles. The Volt also has plastic covering the majority of the bottom of the car. An oil spray would likely require removal of all of that first.

·
Registered
521 Posts
In Texas, 80K miles over 4 yrs, never sprayed the bottom of the car AT ALL and it stays so clean I took a picture of it at random a little while a go.. I've never seen a car under-body this clean without extra work.

or https://goo.gl/photos/diszSb89MpkzWBSU7

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but here in snow country, everything is salt based.

As for rust proofing, I live in southern NH, and have little to no rust on the bottom of my Volt. I try to hit a car wash with underbody cleaning any time the temp gets above freezing.
The rust proofing they use now seems to be a lot better than on older vehicles. The Volt also has plastic covering the majority of the bottom of the car. An oil spray would likely require removal of all of that first.
I don't think that it matters much in areas where salt/cinders are used for significant winter accumulations. Where it does matter is when "brining" uses magnesium chloride mixtures that are more acidic and damaging to vehicle undercarriages and impossible to avoid.

If they "brine" in your area and you want a 10 year plus car, I would consider some type of oil based treatment - even if it's DIY. My 13 year old truck that has not been treated reminds me yearly to take some action on the newer cars, as I continue to replace brake lines, fuel lines, and repair body rot on a vehicle that doesn't get used much.

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
While I know dealer installed undercoating is a major ripoff, I have a friend that uses a local guy to coat the base of his vehicles with oil (bar and chain oil). His 07 truck has little to no rust and he can remove bolts at any time with no issues. At 10 years most of my vehicles are rusting out from under me with the manufacturers dip process. My question is for those in the northern climates where snow and salt gets used on roads. In an effort to prolong the life of your vehicles, what method do you use? Oil? Weekly wash? something else?
No. No. No. Entirely unnecessary and can even cause issues as drain holes and other items are coated. Just leave it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts