GM Volt Forum banner

Do you list your home charger on PlugShare or another similar website?

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new Volt owner we recently had our level 2 charger installed in our garage. Woot!

I was wondering, how many folks make their home charger available for complete strangers by listing it on PlugShare? (We live near a major park, in an area devoid of any charging stations so I could see the potential need for folks to plugin while they are at the park. I don't really see a downside to helping someone out who might need a boost to get home. It would only be a small inconvenience for me as I would need to be home to open my garage an pull the cord out for them.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I was wondering, how many folks make their home charger available for complete strangers by listing it on PlugShare?
What are your thoughts?
Not no... but hell no!
Just as I would never dream of leaching off someone's home EVSE.

·
Registered
179 Posts
MountainBiker, I think it is very nice of you to make your charger available. I don't. Afraid someone cranky like NewYork Rob might come over.

When my husband and I were in South Dakota and ran out of gas with nothing but corn fields all around in 103 degree heat, a farmer gave us some of his gas to get us to the next town. My husband didn't want me to offer him any money for it (but of course I did), and the farmer refused and told us just to "pass it on." My husband grew up on a farm and said, "that is what farmers do."

I think it is very nice that you are making it available to those in need!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I have a JuiceBox kit ordered, and I am waiting for the arrival. After I install and test it, I will list it so I may meet other EV owners here in Puerto Rico.

And, BTW, I have no EV yet!

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
MountainBiker, I think it is very nice of you to make your charger available. I don't. Afraid someone cranky like NewYork Rob might come over.

When my husband and I were in South Dakota and ran out of gas with nothing but corn fields all around in 103 degree heat, a farmer gave us some of his gas to get us to the next town. My husband didn't want me to offer him any money for it (but of course I did), and the farmer refused and told us just to "pass it on." My husband grew up on a farm and said, "that is what farmers do."

I think it is very nice that you are making it available to those in need!
I've given gas to strangers stranded on the road (happened to have some tanks in the back brining gas home for the tractor and mowers), and if an EV arrived, I'd let them plug in, but I'm not advertising on olugshare since my EVSE is in my garage. If I ever installed one outdoors, sure I'd share it. My house is exactly halfway between two mid sized cities, so it would be a good place to charge.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Mine is available on Plugshare. I have only had one call and one charge event from someone wanting to charge their Leaf. Lead to an interesting day in terms of meeting some interesting people, being videotaped for a small independent documentary and attending a cultural event later in the day. I do prefer to not have any Teslas visit due to their charging network not being open to non-Teslas. Proprietary is a design of exclusion and the EV movement should be fully inclusive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No, because there is a publicly available one 2 miles from the house. You have to pass it to get to mine. The business that owns it uses a Leaf as their service loaner.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have no interest in listing my outside home EVSE with a public sharing site. On the other hand a neighbor had a Tesla owner visiting and they needed a charge to get home in Boston. No problem helping them out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I listed my Home Charger on Plug Share. Why did I do it you ask. Well it is all Charlie Gallows fault. After spending the weekend in Rehoboth Beach DE and realizing there are no Plugs there I was facing a drive home on gas. Doable, but what about my Gas Anxiety? Well Charlie has an open Invitation to plug in at his house and I took full advantage of it. After that I decided to list my EVSE. We are still early in EV acceptance and I rather spend $1 for you to charge your Car than have the story about getting stuck on the side of the Road being shared all over the place.

And I would like to publicly say once again THANKS Charlie

·
Registered
627 Posts
The charger is in the garage, parking is limited and we already have to car jockey. Lots of reasons it would be impractical.

What do you do when you get home, kick them off the charger? The public listing seems weird unless you were home 90% of the time. And the reason we bought the Volt is so we didn't have to worry about stuff like that. I'm not ever knocking on someone door to ask for fifty cents. But I would definitely offer it to someone who needed it, if someone was home. It's just the public ad that seems impractical

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mine, is on plug share. I have put that they need to call or text first. I wouldn't mind if someone really needed a change, but no one has asked. I was contacted by someone that wanted to talk about Open EVSE, since that's what I put on Plug Share. I just think Hydrogen is a joke, there are 10 filling stations in Cali. there are hundreds of plugs in Utah available and I still can't find enough. I just wish we would forget that H2 Fool Sells and concentrate on J1772 Plugs and SAE Combo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have mine listed on Plugshare. There are very few charge locations in my area. I have already had a call from a Leaf owner wanting to make a big trip and needed mine as a backup in case the one public charger didn't work. I have always hoped for a tesla to show up. I've seen a few but I would like to have another close up inspection of one and chat with the owner. I have two EVSEs, my Juicebox can give 15kw which is way more than any public charger in the area. The other is just a measly 6kw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts