GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rack can come off your car in certain situations. If its hot out and a gust of wind hits the rack just right the rubber grommet its mounted on will shift and cause the rack to fly off your vehicle. Its a flaw in the design of the rubber foot that comes with the clips. The rack was professionally installed and when it came off there was 0 damage done to the car except the grommet on the volts roof had slid back freeing the rack. If the rubber foot on the rack was a half inch wider this would have not happened. I lost a Kayak because of this and Yakima has yet to respond to me on this issue.

Long story short: heat loosened the rubber grommet on the car, wind hit rack at angle, grommet on roof moved, rack went flying off.

2012 Chevy Volt

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I have Yakima Q towers and Q clips for my BMW and luckily my roof rack never came off. All of my other vehicles have a proper roof rack where my Yakima bars mount to the existing rack and I can pile on from there. I don't dare put a roof rack on the Volt, there really isn't a spot near the doors with a right angle where the clip can really take hold. Most of the time professionally installed means the high school or college kid at the bike shop or sporting goods store mounted it. I redid everything they did the first time as I didn't trust them. When my BMW was professionally installed, I gave the bars a good yank when I got home, and the towers came loose. I went and tightened everything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have Yakima Q towers and Q clips for my BMW and luckily my roof rack never came off. All of my other vehicles have a proper roof rack where my Yakima bars mount to the existing rack and I can pile on from there. I don't dare put a roof rack on the Volt, there really isn't a spot near the doors with a right angle where the clip can really take hold. Most of the time professionally installed means the high school or college kid at the bike shop or sporting goods store mounted it. I redid everything they did the first time as I didn't trust them. When my BMW was professionally installed, I gave the bars a good yank when I got home, and the towers came loose. I went and tightened everything.
I had mine about 6 months. I always checked it to make sure it was on good. I never looked at how it was mounted (rubber on rubber pressure point). This makes me wish I had gone with a tow hitch instead. Metal on metal is better than rubber on rubber even when the items weight is only 50 lbs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Please confirm which Yakima rack you are using. I am considering the Jetstream with baseline mounts. Actually the design seems pretty similar for all the manufactures. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I've decided that instead of adding a roof rack with a rocket box (mine broke over time when the plastics got brittle) that instead I'll just get the righ \t sized vehicle for the situation. So my Jekyll and Hyde fleet has. Chevy volt for fuel economy, and a Chevy suburban for lauding people and cargo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to say Yakima does make some good products. They sent me a full new rack because of this incident. I got it for my friends Toyota Truck. That rack will NEVER come off the way its designed thanks to how the trucks door frames are designed. The Volt's door frames and the rubber grommet on the roof (of a 2012 model, maybe more years) make using any roof rack dangerous.

No wonder they redesigned the rack several times and took years to make one. It's quite possible they stopped selling them because of my incident. I have yet to look and see. Makes me wish I had gone with a tow hitch instead although that is a whole other can of worms to open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts