GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I plan to buy a new 2014 volt Demo by next week or first week of Dec. The problem is I'll be off on Vacation from second week till the rest of the year.
Question 1: Do I need to complete the Vehicle Registration before I end of the year to be eligible for the 2015 Tax credit. Or can I come back and complete the registration. Will a purchase this year enough for eligibility of the Tax rebate.
Question 2: Will 2014 Demo qualify for the Tax credit?

The reason I am trying to purchase the volt in a hurry is to get the 7500 tax rebate this year. If I cannot get it then I'll come back in Jan and make the decision. But then I'll get the rebate only in 2017 if it still exist.

Anyone gone through this dilemma?
Thanks
TDG

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Its a tax credit NOT a tax refund

If you purchase the car in 2015, just have the dealer submit the registration, or yourself, just go to the DMV, its an hour or two at most of your time or send the application in the mail to the DMV, make sure you know what the total payment is first.

The car must not have been registred and you would get the MSO proving that to qualify for the tax credit

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Technically it's title transfer. If you're buying the car from a dealer that happens fast since the dealer does not want to be liable. Not sure if title transfers when you sign or shortly thereafter, but something in that range. Nothing close to a week.

With respect to registration, the dealer should completes the paperwork for that and submit it to the state. The plates may take a few weeks to arrive but this doesn't affect the title transfer which happens immediately. So no worries on the timing.

I've gotten three tax credits and never had an MSO. Didn't buy a demo though. Just confirm that the car hasn't previously been titled.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I've gotten three tax credits and never had an MSO. Didn't buy a demo though. Just confirm that the car hasn't previously been titled.
Don, Then you always had the dealer do the DMV paperwork, otherwise you would have not been able to get a title for the car.

MSO is the ONLY document that can prove the car was never titled, and if you have the dealer submit the paperwork for the title, have them show you the MSO on any transaction that you expect to claim a tax credit on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts