GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am buying a 2017 Premier Volt. I already have a 100-Ampere 240V outlet in my garage which we use from time to time to connect an RV. It has an electric dryer style outlet, you know the three prong oriented symmetrically.

Can I use that RV 240V outlet? Do I need to buy an adapter? If so, what type of adapter?

Do I need to buy an L2 charger? Is the cord auto-detect?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
No you don't need another evse. The one supplied with the Volt, now, can be used on 240 volt supply with the addition of an adapter. The adapter is not expensive or complicated. Probably a 14-50 plug, a 120 volt recpticle and a chunk of 12 awg will work for you. Compare your existing outlet to plugs at your local home supply store. Alternately, you might look for a member Texas Chris, I believe, he sells these.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No you don't need another evse. The one supplied with the Volt, now, can be used on 240 volt supply with the addition of an adapter. The adapter is not expensive or complicated. Probably a 14-50 plug, a 120 volt recpticle and a chunk of 12 awg will work for you. Compare your existing outlet to plugs at your local home supply store. Alternately, you might look for a member Texas Chris, I believe, he sells these.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
... Do you think this will work?
That appears to be correct. You will need to replace the female end of it with one like Chris TX shows in post #55 of his thread. I have done this and use my adapter every day with zero issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Another great place to search for an adapter. I have purchased two and one was for an RV outlet. Search in google for BSA Electronics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
no you don't need another EVSE and no you don't need a GFCI and no you don't need to cut off the plug of your current EVSE. Just get an adapter that goes from 110 to 220. You might consider switching out that RV plug for for a different style of 220 outlet because you don't need that high of amperage. You can easily live with 15 amps but 20 amps would be better (the EVSE only draws 12 amps).

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
no you don't need another EVSE and no you don't need a GFCI and no you don't need to cut off the plug of your current EVSE. Just get an adapter that goes from 110 to 220. You might consider switching out that RV plug for for a different style of 220 outlet because you don't need that high of amperage. You can easily live with 15 amps but 20 amps would be better (the EVSE only draws 12 amps).
I believe he uses that same outlet to connect the occasional RV. So an adapter is the best solution.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So I got my Volt, and the charger that comes with it is this one:

And my outlet looks like this one (please turn 90 degrees clockwise)

And I plan to buy from Amazon this adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/Direct-Prong-Adapter-Cord-Full/dp/B00I4YX02E/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1470203809&sr=8-25&keywords=nema+14-50+adapter

Do you think this will work?
I don't think so. The description from your Amazon link says:

"Direct Wire and Cable Adapter Cord, Full KVA NEMA 14-50P to NEMA 6-50R. Adapts engine drive 120/240 v to common welder or plasma 240 V plug. Length: 3 feet"

The adapter will have to convert to a normal 120 V household outlet (NEMA 5-15), instead of a 6-50. The 6-50 is much larger than a household plug, but you can't tell by looking at Amazon's picture.

Best solution for the Volt is:

1) Change the circuit breaker to 20 Amp to properly protect the Volt charge cord.
2) Then replace the 14-50 outlet with a 6-20 outlet.
3) Make a 240 to 120 V adapter cable with a 6-20 plug and a 5-15/5-20 receptacle. Label the adapter cable "CAUTION: 240 V Only use for EV charging"

Good Luck,

GSP

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think so. The description from your Amazon link says:

"Direct Wire and Cable Adapter Cord, Full KVA NEMA 14-50P to NEMA 6-50R. Adapts engine drive 120/240 v to common welder or plasma 240 V plug. Length: 3 feet"

The adapter will have to convert to a normal 120 V household outlet (NEMA 5-15), instead of a 6-50. The 6-50 is much larger than a household plug, but you can't tell by looking at Amazon's picture.

1) Change the circuit breaker to 20 Amp to properly protect the Volt charge cord.
3) Make a 240 to 120 V adapter cable with a 6-20 plug and a 5-15/5-20 receptacle. Label the adapter cable "CAUTION: 240 V Only use for EV charging"

Good Luck,

GSP
How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BHGXYRC/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470262062&sr=sr-1&keywords=nema+14-50

·
Registered
520 Posts
^^ No, those wont work either Joe, as they only use one "hot leg" from the 14-50P end in each of those 5-15/20 receptacles. You need to have two hot wires in the outlet to be able to get 240V. I have looked high and low, far and wide, and I have yet to see any ready made adapter for the purpose of feeding 240V into a 120V plug. It's a very specific application, and not without liability concerns, so no commercial company is likely ever going to make them. . . BUT, the good news is, YOU CAN!

·
Registered
520 Posts

I understand the intention there, but I don't think that will work, as the wire gauge used for a 14-50 is going to be either #6 or #8, neither of which are likely to fit in a 6-20 receptacle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts