GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone,

Planning to change my wheel & tyre combo as soon as I pick up my new Volt.

Quick question, & Please excuse my ignorance,

Do I have to purchase another 4 TPMS for the new rims or can the TPMS be removed from the standard rim?

Thanks in advance.

P.S Just upgrading to 18 inch rims with Michelin Pilot Sports 225 45 18.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You could try to pull the original sensors out of the OEM rims... but they're (actually the valve stem part) is in there super tight on the Volt rims. Honestly I don't think you could get them (the valve stem part) out of the old rims without damaging them. When I got new rims- we even needed to buy a special tool to pull the new stems into the new rims because the valve stem fit was so tight the garage's regular tool was inadequate.

If you could manage to get just the rubber/brass valve stems for the new rims- it would be easy to transfer the sensor device from the old stems to the new stems. The actual sensor is attached to the brass part of the stem with a single phillips or torx screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
This post reminded me that I have a different question about the TPMS's, as we now approach the winter, what if I decide to put my snow tires (with a different set of rims, steelies) on the car without a set of TPMS's in place. Will the instrument panel prompt me endlessly about tire pressures being non existent? Will it beep constantly? Has anyone done this or have information on their experience?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
This post reminded me that I have a different question about the TPMS's, as we now approach the winter, what if I decide to put my snow tires (with a different set of rims, steelies) on the car without a set of TPMS's in place. Will the instrument panel prompt me endlessly about tire pressures being non existent? Will it beep constantly? Has anyone done this or have information on their experience?
I was able to get new Volt GM TPMS on eaby last spring for $15 each... they're nice to have on the winter rims too.
You can purchase the reset tool on Amazon to integrate the new sensors into the car's system.

As a matter of fact- you can get a set of four for $58 with free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d48d77bb&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^ The nice thing about getting the reset tool (in addition to adding the winter tire TPMS sensors) is that you can do your own tire rotations now and reset the sensors so they show the correct positions on the Volt.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I had the tires and wheels of my 2009 Equinox rotated last year, and I followed the steps well explained in the Owner Manual to reset the sensors and reassign the wheel positions. The order of the steps is the key to the reassignment. It takes time and some work, but my TPMS is working well.

Read your Owner Manual before investing any money in a tool or letting another person do it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I had the tires and wheels of my 2009 Equinox rotated last year, and I followed the steps well explained in the Owner Manual to reset the sensors and reassign the wheel positions. The order of the steps is the key to the reassignment. It takes time and some work, but my TPMS is working well.

Read your Owner Manual before investing any money in a tool or letting another person do it.
Starting in MY 2012 you can't reset the Volt's TPMS sensors via the car any longer... you need the reset tool or you have to have the dealer do it. :mad:

·
Registered
585 Posts
This is an informative thread. Been thinking of getting winter tires this year (just got my volt 3 weeks ago).

Question about the TPMS reset tool. There are some 'cheapies' out there (around $70) and models more than double this...is there any reason why the cheapie won't do the job if I plan on buying winter tires/rims and installing myself, as well as doing my own tire rotations?

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
This is an informative thread. Been thinking of getting winter tires this year (just got my volt 3 weeks ago).

Question about the TPMS reset tool. There are some 'cheapies' out there (around $70) and models more than double this...is there any reason why the cheapie won't do the job if I plan on buying winter tires/rims and installing myself, as well as doing my own tire rotations?
I have the "cheapie" ($69 from amazon) Kent-Moore EL-50448 reset tool- it's been flawless so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a lot

Wow, Thank you very much guys!

That's great.

Now all I need is a set of TPMS & the reset tool.

Could anyone please provide a link as to where I could purchase the reset tool?

Thank you to all very much who answered my post.

Cheers,

Chris.:eek:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^ will Amazon ship to Oz?
That's where we get the tool from.
Maybe check ebay?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
... what if I decide to put my snow tires (with a different set of rims, steelies) on the car without a set of TPMS's in place. Will the instrument panel prompt me endlessly about tire pressures being non existent? Will it beep constantly? Has anyone done this or have information on their experience?
I noticed no-one has answered this question (apologies if I missed it).

I'd like to know, too.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I noticed no-one has answered this question (apologies if I missed it).

I'd like to know, too.
That is exactly what will happen! The car will never shut up about it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Is that from actual experience trying?

Does it actually beep, or just show the error symbol? I think some of these systems will recognise there are no sensors present at all and that therefore winter tyres may be fitted so come up with a different message 'winter tyres fitted'.

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts
Is that from actual experience trying?

Does it actually beep, or just show the error symbol? I think some of these systems will recognise there are no sensors present at all and that therefore winter tyres may be fitted so come up with a different message 'winter tyres fitted'.
The TPMS error will be non-stop until it's resolved. Either carry all four OEM wheels in the car (tricking the car), or add TPMS to the winter wheels (what I did), or live with the non-stop TPMS error.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know actually what the car does? My ford edge with winter tires without sensor just beeps once per trip on trips over about 10km and leaves an icon on... no big deal... My wife wants winter tires for her volt and if that's all it does i'll pass on them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts